Stark County Runner of the year

I would think one of the 4 coaches who's team advanced to the state meet would be chosen.

Just a guess.

FWIW, I have no idea who won the coaches' stuff. All I know is what honors the kids from my school will be receiving.

With Jackson being the only boys team going to state and with no other boys team coming close, Kevin Walsh is a no-brainer for boys COY. I can't make a case for anyone else except maybe Logan Moritz (Fairless) for getting 2 individuals to state, but that's a reach.

On the girls side, I can't see any reason why Jason Kirkland (Hoover) wouldn't win girls CoY since we know that John Williams (Minerva) didn't win it. The only other candidate in my mind would be Christine Muniak (Louisville) based solely on her team's regional performance, but Hoover comfortably defeated Louisville in the other 3 meets that are considered when voting on countywide honors.

On a slightly unrelated note, is anyone coming to the Stark-Summit All-Star Meet this Saturday at Walsh University? It's a competitive but low-key meet that pits the top 15 seniors (who decide to run) from each county against each other. The winning teams have a traveling trophy that will be put on display at their respective county's Second Sole shoe store. There is also an open race for anyone who feels like running an XC race that costs only $5 to enter. I'm not sure what time the festivities begin, but it's generally later in the morning like 10am or 11am.

Congrats to Mackenzie Rankin on being named Stark Co. Runner of the Year, that's what I heard from someone earlier this evening.

Congratulations Mackenzie. Very sweet young lady and a great runner.

976dd675fb.jpg

From the Louisville Herald Facebook page:

All the girls' feet and legs were aching, what does Mackenzie do - carries a teammate over the concrete to the grass because her teammates' right foot was hurting.

Jackson boys own first team all county with 6 of the 12 runners. After that, Perry has 2, Louisville 2, Glenoak 1 and Hoover 1

Will attendance at the Summit-Stark All-Star meet include a personal introduction to Mr. Slippery..?..:p

Doubtful. I hope to lend a hand to the proceedings, so I'll probably be a little busy during the event.

Are you planning to pony up the $5 to run the open race? Unless Walsh U's new coach changed the course, it's relatively flat and fast.

Doubtful. I hope to lend a hand to the proceedings, so I'll probably be a little busy during the event.

Are you planning to pony up the $5 to run the open race? Unless Walsh U's new coach changed the course, it's relatively flat and fast.

I will be at the Turkey Trot @ CCC on Thanksgiving morning to participate in the 5k run.

The Summit County squad claimed victories in both the boys and girls races this morning at the Stark-Summit Meet.

The Summit boys won 17-40 while the Summit girls won 21-36.

Stow's Nick Hall led a trio of Summit runners over the line in 16:55. His teammate Joseph Wisnieski and Nordonia's Pat Osborne were right behind him. Green's Brandon Simmons took 4th place while Stow's Matt Walker rounded out the scoring with a 7th place finish. Jackson's Will Cutler led Stark with a 5th place finish.

Green's Krista Roehlig claimed victory in the girls race with a 19:02 followed by CVCA's Sarah McIntosh in 2nd. Rounding out the scoring for the Summit girls were: Cuyahoga Falls' Allison Hainer in 4th, Green's Kristen Bergmeyer in 6th, and Cuyahoga Falls' Kayleigh Scourfield in 8th. Hoover's Emily Saus led Stark with a 3rd place finish.

Complete results for the meet can be found here:

http://perrylocal.org/crosscountry/files/2011/11/Stark-Summit-All-Star-Race2011.html

Rankin from Louisville was the D1 Girls runner of the year

Lightfoot from Minerva was the DII Girls runner of the year.

Laubacher from St. Thomas was the DIII Girls runner of the year.

Rankin had the fastest time at the state meet of the three.

Last edited:
Other county award winners include:

Alex Wind of Jackson won DI Boys Runner of the Year.

Josh Laney of Fairless won DII Boys Runner of the Year.

Cory Glines of St. Thomas won DIII Boys Runner of the Year.

The 2011 Stark County Boys Coach of the Year is Kevin Walsh of Jackson.

The 2011 Stark County Girls Coach of the Year is Jason Kirkland of Hoover.

Rankin from Louisville was the D1 Girls runner of the year

Lightfoot from Minerva was the DII Girls runner of the year.

(Victoria) Laubacher from St. Thomas was the DIII Girls runner of the year.

Rankin had the fastest time at the state meet of the three.

Fixed it for you.

It's interesting to note that all 6 Runners of the Year are juniors.