Springboro Scrimmage

Bigtyme

I believe yesterday night the defense showed just how dominate they could be. l would of liked to see Alec Ferrin at QB but injury prevented that. Can't wait til TWM. Go comets!!!

Last edited:

Boro scrimmage

I have Mason's starters from the scrimmage as follows (all information is from the rosters provided at the scrimmage). Correct me if I'm wrong, of course:

Offense

87______71_75_61_53_54______86
____4_________19________28
_______________4

87__Ethan King_____Jr__6-2___175
71__Joe Spencer___So__6-3___230
75__Abe Muhlbaum__Jr__6-1___245
61__Patrick Eagan __Sr__5-8___200
53__Andy Porter____Sr__5-8___205
54__Erich Myers____Jr __6-1___220
86__Ben Woycke ___Jr__5-10__165
4___Nick Wehby____Sr__5-11__180
19__Zach Boden ___So__6-0___165
2___Matt Bertrams__Jr__5-9___175
28__Brian Carden ___Jr__6-0___200

Defense

2______67__52__47______4
_______59__53__10
___15______________8
____________6

2___Matt Bertrams ___Jr__5-9___175
67__Ethan Brown_____Sr__6-4___210
52__Kyle Dodson_____Sr__6-3___210
47__Maison Kana_____Sr__6-0___195
4___Nick Wehby _____Sr__5-11__180
59__Kyle Searer _____Sr__5-9___185
53__Andy Porter_____Sr __5-8___205
10__Tyler Plank______Sr__5-10__185
15__Rhett Durbin ____Sr__5-9___165
8___Dalton Gillespie __Sr__5-10__185
6___DeVonte Walker__Sr__6-1___175

I know the story on the QBs but is David Fulcher not expected to start?

The O-line

It's small. We all knew that (average 220 lbs).

However, they did a good job pass-blocking in the Boro scrimmage. Remember when Mentor played St X in the State Championship game in 2007? Mentor's O-line went:

T__Ian Zimmerman (6-2, 215)
G__Max Wagner (6-2, 230)
C__Adam Watson (6-1, 215)
G__Alex Dudas (6-0, 225), Ben Anderson (6-1, 210)
T__Brad Bednar (6-5, 240)

Depending upon the lineup, their O-line averaged between 222 and 225 lbs per man.

I'm not suggesting Mason's is as good as Mentor's was. The point is you can be successful with a small O-line. I hope the kids believe that!

I have Mason's starters from the scrimmage as follows (all information is from the rosters provided at the scrimmage). Correct me if I'm wrong, of course:

Offense

_______________4

Defense

2______67__52__47______4
_______59__53__10
___15______________8
____________6

They rotated several players every other series. They are going to do this throughout the season. Here are some of the rotators below:

David Fulcher #7 JR with Matt Betrams #2 JR at RB

Evan Denny #3 JR with Devonte Walker #6 SR at Adjuster

Rhett Durbin #15 SR with Kirk Smith (#?) JR at Strong Safety

Also Nick Pasquale #5 SR will most likely start at Corner over Matt Betrams #2 JR in week #2 (coming back from injury).

Must be a lot of equal players this year? IMO, I think this scenario of rotating players on a planed rotation will prove not to work out and cause inconsistent game play/continuity problems.

They rotated several players every other series. They are going to do this throughout the season. Here are some of the rotators below:

David Fulcher #7 JR with Matt Betrams #2 JR at RB

Evan Denny #3 JR with Devonte Walker #6 SR at Adjuster

Rhett Durbin #15 SR with Kirk Smith (#?) JR at Strong Safety

Also Nick Pasquale #5 SR will most likely start at Corner over Matt Betrams #2 JR in week #2 (coming back from injury).

Must be a lot of equal players this year? IMO, I think this scenario of rotating players on a planed rotation will prove not to work out and cause inconsistent game play/continuity problems.
HWCUSA I could not agree with you more on the rotating plan. I have no problem rotating for a play or two to give a guy a breather, but to rotate series on defense could prove to be a disaster. Teams are gonna pick up on this and when certain players are in they are gonna go after them once they figure/study the weakness of that particular player and the rotation. Also a guy will never get comfortable/gel with the players on the field if every other series he's coming out. I thought it was fine for scrimmages but it won't work in the regular season IMO.

I've really enjoyed how the team has progeressed up to this point and have full faith that this is going to be a pretty good season for Comet football, but this rotating has me concerned. Gotta give the coaches the benefit of the doubt I just hope they are correct in doing this. We'll see come Thursday night. Go Comets!!!!

HWCUSA I could not agree with you more on the rotating plan. I have no problem rotating for a play or two to give a guy a breather, but to rotate series on defense could prove to be a disaster. Teams are gonna pick up on this and when certain players are in they are gonna go after them once they figure/study the weakness of that particular player and the rotation. Also a guy will never get comfortable/gel with the players on the field if every other series he's coming out. I thought it was fine for scrimmages but it won't work in the regular season IMO.

I've really enjoyed how the team has progeressed up to this point and have full faith that this is going to be a pretty good season for Comet football, but this rotating has me concerned. Gotta give the coaches the benefit of the doubt I just hope they are correct in doing this. We'll see come Thursday night. Go Comets!!!!

I too hope that whatever they do, it works out. These kids deserve to be put in a position to succeed, with all the hard work they've been doing. IMO there's no excuse for anything less than a succesful season, .500 ball and to at least be in every game this year. I do think there's a great group of kids out there, but also think team chemistry will take a hit due to the lastest player addition thing that transpired today. Hope that's not the case.

Go Comets and beat Trotwood!!

Offense

_______________4

Defense

2______67__52__47______4
_______59__53__10
___15______________8
____________6

I wouldn't count on the Springboro lineup to necessarily be the starting lineup against Trotwood. There are still some tweaks to be made on defense. It may also be the case that some starters on either side of the ball won't even play a majority of the time in that position.

Most of us think alike regarding rotating players it would seem. However, I doubt the coaches are going to have many guys "share" time in the regular season. I'm pretty sure they were just evaluating players in the scrimmages.

As far as the team, I've seen several Mason teams go 0-2 only to finish 8-2 or 7-3 so I'm not not going to muddle the forum with a lot discouraging comments. I've seen both cause for concern and signs of promise from this group. The kids have worked hard and things may start "clicking" early on or a little later. Regardless, I always look forward to a new season of Mason football. I'll try to be George Grande to the very end. :thumb:

Most of us think alike regarding rotating players it would seem. However, I doubt the coaches are going to have many guys "share" time in the regular season. I'm pretty sure they were just evaluating players in the scrimmages.

As far as the team, I've seen several Mason teams go 0-2 only to finish 8-2 or 7-3 so I'm not not going to muddle the forum with a lot discouraging comments. I've seen both cause for concern and signs of promise from this group. The kids have worked hard and things may start "clicking" early on or a little later. Regardless, I always look forward to a new season of Mason football. I'll try to be George Grande to the very end. :thumb:
Pretty much how I want to be this year good or bad I'm backing the Comets/Coaching staff all the way. Really don't have a choice with a son on the team.:angel: I just feel really good about this team. The defense looked really good last Friday vs Springboro. From a personel standpoint their were times were you could tell when the guys who started were in and when the backups were in. Versus Springfield the guys who started that game looked a really flat but last Friday I thought the guys who started on D looked really good if not great at times. I think the speed of this years defense is really gonna push Mason to a promising season.

Gotta give the Offense some love as well. They played much better in the latter part of the game. The Qb started off rough but seemed to settle down as the game went on. A lot of things I saw on offense I liked. #2 has a set of wheels on him. The kid Wehby I thought played well on both sides as well. Just hope they don't try to go to him to often and become predictable for the opponent. Very talented young man. Heck, I think Coach Sedmack/Staff have a ton of untapped talent and hopefully they can bring it out.

Hate to make predictions but I have my Comets winning Thursday. I hope they bring this with them as well on Thursday:mad: I think the young men have really improved over last year from what I've seen. Go Comets!!!!

Pretty much how I want to be this year good or bad I'm backing the Comets/Coaching staff all the way. Really don't have a choice with a son on the team.:angel: I just feel really good about this team. The defense looked really good last Friday vs Springboro. From a personel standpoint their were times were you could tell when the guys who started were in and when the backups were in. Versus Springfield the guys who started that game looked a really flat but last Friday I thought the guys who started on D looked really good if not great at times. I think the speed of this years defense is really gonna push Mason to a promising season.

Gotta give the Offense some love as well. They played much better in the latter part of the game. The Qb started off rough but seemed to settle down as the game went on. A lot of things I saw on offense I liked. #2 has a set of wheels on him. The kid Wehby I thought played well on both sides as well. Just hope they don't try to go to him to often and become predictable for the opponent. Very talented young man. Heck, I think Coach Sedmack/Staff have a ton of untapped talent and hopefully they can bring it out.

Hate to make predictions but I have my Comets winning Thursday. I hope they bring this with them as well on Thursday:mad: I think the young men have really improved over last year from what I've seen. Go Comets!!!!

In both the Springfield game and the Springboro game the second rotating team did better. In fact the first team was scored on everytime the offense scored except one time in both games combined. Don't believe me, watch the game film.
Many players have been told that the reason they are rotating so much is because they are just about equal across the board. So until someone stands out its anyones position to win and rotation will continue until then.
That's why they are rotating players in the Trotwood game to see who does better. The players that stand out in the first few series will probably play most the second half.
This is not my plan this is in fact the coaches plan from day one of 2-a-days.

I'm concerned with the offensive scoring enough points and the defense being on the field too long. We will need points and good field position from the defense and special teams to win this game. If the right mix of players are on the field most the night then we can win it, I'll say 17-14 Mason. But if the above points I've made do not happen we could lose 31-17.

Go Comets!!

In both the Springfield game and the Springboro game the second rotating team did better. In fact the first team was scored on everytime the offense scored except one time in both games combined. Don't believe me, watch the game film.
Many players have been told that the reason they are rotating so much is because they are just about equal across the board. So until someone stands out its anyones position to win and rotation will continue until then.
That's why they are rotating players in the Trotwood game to see who does better. The players that stand out in the first few series will probably play most the second half.
This is not my plan this is in fact the coaches plan from day one of 2-a-days.

I'm concerned with the offensive scoring enough points and the defense being on the field too long. We will need points and good field position from the defense and special teams to win this game. If the right mix of players are on the field most the night then we can win it, I'll say 17-14 Mason. But if the above points I've made do not happen we could lose 31-17.

Go Comets!!
It's crazy/funny how we as fans see things differently. I agree the D was outplayed by the 2nd group that came in during the 1st scrimmage, but I disagree with you on the 2nd scrimmage. The guys that started were put in a pretty bad position due to the turnovers early on. Mason probably should of given up more points than it did last Friday night. Scrimmages are just what they are Scrimmages. However they get the win on Thursday is all that matters now. I see everyone talking so much about the Defense when seems like Mason has more issues on Offense. I think more changes are needed on Offense than Defense. It's early still but time has run out and we have to be ready to go. No excuses come Thursday. Mason has to come out the gates firing on all cylinders. How the Coaches get those cylinders firing at this point is all I care about. These young men have really worked hard this off-season and I'm just afraid that some may be fragile and it could hinder their mindset if they are looking over their shoulders all the time.

I just put my faith in Coach Sedmak/Staff to get Mason over the hump. Talking to my son and he stands by the program and if he's happy with what's going on, then I'm fine. I did tell my son that the Coaches can only teach so much, that he and the others must execute the Coaches gameplan and if that does not happen, you are probably going to lose.

Great points HWCUSA, look forward to your views/takes on upcoming games.

It's crazy/funny how we as fans see things differently. I agree the D was outplayed by the 2nd group that came in during the 1st scrimmage, but I disagree with you on the 2nd scrimmage. The guys that started were put in a pretty bad position due to the turnovers early on. Mason probably should of given up more points than it did last Friday night. Scrimmages are just what they are Scrimmages. However they get the win on Thursday is all that matters now. I see everyone talking so much about the Defense when seems like Mason has more issues on Offense. I think more changes are needed on Offense than Defense. It's early still but time has run out and we have to be ready to go. No excuses come Thursday. Mason has to come out the gates firing on all cylinders. How the Coaches get those cylinders firing at this point is all I care about. These young men have really worked hard this off-season and I'm just afraid that some may be fragile and it could hinder their mindset if they are looking over their shoulders all the time.

I just put my faith in Coach Sedmak/Staff to get Mason over the hump. Talking to my son and he stands by the program and if he's happy with what's going on, then I'm fine. I did tell my son that the Coaches can only teach so much, that he and the others must execute the Coaches gameplan and if that does not happen, you are probably going to lose.

Great points HWCUSA, look forward to your views/takes on upcoming games.

I guess we will agree to disagree.
It’s very difficult to assess an individual’s production by looking at a group of rotation teams. The purpose of these rotating teams as I understand it is to determine what players are the best at what positions since the coaches really haven’t made up their minds completely on who is the best player for the position they’re rotating at. These rotating players have been told they are about equal and that’s why they’re being rotated out every other series.

I would think using game film, seeing who’s in position, production points (tackles/fumbles/interceptions etc.) and most important, does the opposing offense score more points against the defense when this player is part of the team on the field. Using any other criteria like their grade, size, past performance etc., other than who is more productive and gives us the best chance to win would increase the odds of another year of failure.
Don’t buy the equal thing, I suspect the coaches are trying to do more with the players than just win IMO. I will hold any other comments about this until I see a couple of games.

Go Comets and win!

The second "D" secondary is a big drop off. Most of those kids are too small.
"WOW" my man I'm do agree their is some separation between the starters and the team that came in the 2nd series on D/secondary but to say their is a big drop off is an inaccurate statement IMO. Grant it they are smaller, and I don't see the equal/talent level of the guys who started the scrimmages as some say/Coaches, but that does not mean they can't compete and get it done. Those guys have heart and it shows. Do they have weaknesses? Of course and so does every player on the team. Now what can happen is when they start going up against Stronger/Bigger/Physical teams that might be a concern, but again that does not mean they can't get it done. When they run into that type of team then I think rotations will be needed more often to keep the D fresh.

Good luck tonight players/coaches!!!! Go Comets!!!!!
Make sure you take this with you:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Did you watch any of the trotwood first half? See how much of a difference Trotwoods size made huh? You obviously know nothing about high school football with this post! Better stick to basketball; but then again, you don't know much about that either.

Words can't explain how proud I am for the Mason Comet Football team. The heck with what happened at the 2 past scrimmages, the Comets showed up tonight. Grant it, it's not finished yet but they looked really good. The offense really played well. Mad Props to the OL. You guys were wonderful tonight.

Defense, you guys played awesome. Rotating seemed to work well tonight, yet at some point I think they will settle on a rotation. I still think the guys who started had the edge over the backups. Backups held their own though so can't take anything away from them. Good job D

Don't wanna give congrats, but I have to commend the Coaching Staff for getting these guys ready to play. We are half way their now we just need to finish it. Good luck tomorrow. Go Comets!!!!!!

Did you watch any of the trotwood first half? See how much of a difference Trotwoods size made huh? You obviously know nothing about high school football with this post! Better stick to basketball; but then again, you don't know much about that either.
I 2nd this post.:)

"WOW" my man I'm do agree their is some separation between the starters and the team that came in the 2nd series on D/secondary but to say their is a big drop off is an inaccurate statement IMO. Grant it they are smaller, and I don't see the equal/talent level of the guys who started the scrimmages as some say/Coaches, but that does not mean they can't compete and get it done. Those guys have heart and it shows. Do they have weaknesses? Of course and so does every player on the team. Now what can happen is when they start going up against Stronger/Bigger/Physical teams that might be a concern, but again that does not mean they can't get it done. When they run into that type of team then I think rotations will be needed more often to keep the D fresh.

Good luck tonight players/coaches!!!! Go Comets!!!!!
Make sure you take this with you:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's one of the reasons why programs like St X, Colerain, Elder, etc are elite programs (succeed year in and year out), because they look at performance on the field without being blinded by grade, size, status, and know being tough (having heart), being in position, and executing in high school football is more important than all those characteristics listed above.
How did Trotwoods size help them tonight? How much seperation did you see tonight? Again game film and stats will show what I'm talking about very soon.
Not to mention some comments from a few people observing the game in the stands that have forgoten more about football then you and me have ever learned.
The defense looked very good but there are some weaknesses that game film will show. We dodged a few bullets tonight.

By the way, the offense gets my vote for the most improved. It really felt good watching these kids perform tonight and expect more of the same tomorrow night!

GO COMETS and WIN!!

Last edited:

By the way, you might want to do your home work next time before posting. All the rotating players are actually bigger than the starters. Quit being lazy and go to the GMC site next time.

#3 bigger than #6 ? - Not hardly. Almost everything you post is wrong.

Dude, you haven't fiqured out yet just in the last two days and numerous posts, that size really means nodda, in High School football.

Oh and by the way 5'8' 170lbs. is in fact bigger than 6'1' 175lbs. (not taller but bigger). This is all you got to support your pathetic ingnorance of H.S. Football. What about the other rotation players on the field. What did you see on the website to support your stupid post of "Most of those kids are too small".
You can lead a horse to water but you can make him drink!

That's all you can see. Heck, Grandma siting in the stands to watch Johnny play football for the first time knows more than you. Stick to checkers or bingo, ringo!

Wrong again, Homer!!

It was a 2nd team D-back that gave up the 50 yard play to #86 in the final minute that almost cost us the game. He was replaced after the play by a starter #8. Stick to cheerleading or something else you know. I'm sorry your son is not good enough to get on the field more HWCUSA.

Again, you know nothing about football and coverage’s. #86 was actually #15's man and if the free safety #3 lets #86 get behind the coverage then we lose the game for sure. So he actually saved the game, by tackling the TE (you didn't know he was the TE either, did you?), on the 50 yd marker, after #86 the TE gets open by the strong safety #15 not covering his man. Then, the next play #4 (corner) intercepts and we win the game (thought I would mention that in case you didn't know we won the game either). So you have showed your ignorance once again. One more thing you don't know is,
I don’t have a son on this team. Don't need any connections to know what I see and what I'm talking about. But you on the other hand could use another Labotomy (look it up dummy). I'm sure your little mind is confused and spinning around by now!

Last edited:
It was a 2nd team D-back that gave up the 50 yard play to #86 in the final minute that almost cost us the game. He was replaced after the play by a starter #8. Stick to cheerleading or something else you know. I'm sorry your son is not good enough to get on the field more HWCUSA.
Correction again my friend, he was replaced by #6 D. Walker. #3 Denny I believe is his name did not have a bad game, he made a mistake "MAYBE" depending on what his assignment was just like a lot of players did throughout the game. His just looks bigger because it was at the end of the game. Personally I'm glad the Coaches have flexibility to rotate and not lose much.

By the way #6 Walker is 6'1 1/2 181lbs I was told. He beefed up in the off-season by almost 20lbs. So yes he is bigger but that does not mean #3 Denny can't be just as effective because he is not as big. Just my .2.

These kids played their butts off and calling some of them out because of a bad play here and their is not kool!!!!!!. They faced adversity and they kicked adversity in the backside when it was all said and done. Let's focus on the positives and let the Coaches at practice take care of the negatives. Some of these kids read these post and "BASHING/SMASHING" them and their Coaches on these forums is "WRONG" imo.

Congrats to the Team/Coaches for an exciting game. Go Comets

Correction again my friend, he was replaced by #6 D. Walker. #3 Denny I believe is his name did not have a bad game, he made a mistake "MAYBE" depending on what his assignment was just like a lot of players did throughout the game. His just looks bigger because it was at the end of the game. Personally I'm glad the Coaches have flexibility to rotate and not lose much.

By the way #6 Walker is 6'1 1/2 181lbs I was told. He beefed up in the off-season by almost 20lbs. So yes he is bigger but that does not mean #3 Denny can't be just as effective because he is not as big. Just my .2.

These kids played their butts off and calling some of them out because of a bad play here and their is not kool!!!!!!. They faced adversity and they kicked adversity in the backside when it was all said and done. Let's focus on the positives and let the Coaches at practice take care of the negatives. Some of these kids read these post and "BASHING/SMASHING" them and their Coaches on these forums is "WRONG" imo.

Congrats to the Team/Coaches for an exciting game. Go Comets

Again don't really think it matters, but I got my info on the GMC website under statistics/roster. not from what I told. It lists Walker as 6'1" 175 and Denny 5'8" 170. Using this info and height/weight ratio then Denny would be bigger (obviously not taller). :shrug:

Again don't really think it matters, but I got my info on the GMC website under statistics/roster. not from what I told. It lists Walker as 6'1" 175 and Denny 5'8" 170. Using this info and height/weight ratio then Denny would be bigger (obviously not taller). :shrug:
Like you stated it doesn't matter. Comets won and that's good enough for me. Go Comets!!!!

Comets won and that's good enough for me. Go Comets!!!!
Considering the way the last two seasons have gone, you've got to be nothing but pleased with how this first game of the year went!

Winning the way they did should give the Comets something very important...confidense. I don't think they've had that in a while. After Trotwood took a 14-10 lead and had all of the momentum, Mason came back not only to take the lead 17-14 but also break a 17-17 tie when Trotwood answered: Mason was able to respond twice. I hope that kind of heart shines through for the rest of the season. :thumb: