SouthWest Ohio Tourney Talk

Of course winning is important, but style of play absolutely matters. So much of the high school game is bang ‘em, up knock ‘em down, kick the ball as far as you can type play. Truly playing the game the way it’s meant to be played should be applauded and respected. It should never be about who can play the dirtiest game and unfortunately sometimes in high school soccer that style does give you an edge.
Style of play matters for who?
You think Loveland cares what people think? They are collecting wins, conference championships, district titles and even a state title in the last 10 years.

Style of play matters for who?
You think Loveland cares what people think? They are collecting wins, conference championships, district titles and even a state title in the last 10 years.
To your first question, it seems likely that it may matter to “many” soccer fans, at least based upon pretty immediate responses by some to the inquiry and extrapolating from there.
Your second question has nothing to do with the first and obviously represents the gist of your win-at-all-costs peon point/argument. And I’m sure Loveland’s Coach doesn’t care, with his apathy in that regard maybe/probably key to his success of winning ugly over last decade.

I think it’s the beauty of high school soccer. Get all kinds of different styles and tactics, good, bad, ugly, can be fun to watch,

BREAKING NEWS: The Ohio High School Athletic Association has announced that, as a result of the outcry from the "many soccer fans" they will not be keeping score for any of the remaining state tournament soccer games this season. Instead, they will assign a panel of judges, including resident expert vedderhead, to award points according to which team plays the prettiest soccer. Points will be awarded in the following categories:

1. Combination play, regardless of whether it creates a scoring chance. (Bonus points for a give-and-go that elicits crowd reaction.)
2. Individual skill. (Execute a successful Maradona = 2X multiplier.)
3. First touch. Whichever team averages the closest distance maintained on first touch will be awarded these points.
4. Whatever else these "soccer experts" consider to align with "the way the game was meant to be played" (whatever that means).

Under no circumstances will the outcome depend on the following: Physicality, fitness level, grit, determination, collective team defending, set pieces (obviously those don't count), ability to execute on team scouting plan, resliency, actual goals scored vs. actual goals conceded.

When asked for comment, OHSAA officials explained that they really enjoy gymnastics and platform diving. "Let's make soccer more like those sports." One official remarked. "What could be more beautiful than that?"

The Centerville v Loveland game was a great example of 2 different styles.
While Centerville was the more skilled team, I would not give them accolades for playing the beautiful game. #12 was one of the dirtiest players I have seen all season, constantly hacking and fouling after the play. A good ref would have given her a yellow early on after the 4th or 5th foul, She went into every tackle looking to body check the Loveland player, and I think over the course of the game the fouls against Centerville were significantly more than Loveland. Centerville had better possession and showed more skill, but I would not pat them on the back too much.

Last edited:
I'd like to defend West Clermont for a min. Full disclosure, I have a kid playing there now and had one graduate last year. So, Im five years there consecutively.
First off, WC better than Seton? not historically for sure, but this year, maybe, but we'll never know.
Physical and border line bush league? Under the previous coach (who knew nothing about soccer) that might be a fair assessment. She was finally fired (thank goodness) and now we have an actual club coach that knows the game. This year was the best year this program has ever seen (the school is only 6 years old though) and may see for a while. We will graduate 14 seniors this year. We have arguably had more talent in the past, but the coach didnt know what to do with it.
This year we only lost one game in ECC and that was to Milford by 1 goal. We beat Loveland too. That hadnt happened in like, forever! Lost to Milford in the tourney, again by 1 goal. We could never out-physical Loveland or Milford! If we tried to do that, they would have destroyed us!

I'd like to defend West Clermont for a min. Full disclosure, I have a kid playing there now and had one graduate last year. So, Im five years there consecutively.
First off, WC better than Seton? not historically for sure, but this year, maybe, but we'll never know.
Physical and border line bush league? Under the previous coach (who knew nothing about soccer) that might be a fair assessment. She was finally fired (thank goodness) and now we have an actual club coach that knows the game. This year was the best year this program has ever seen (the school is only 6 years old though) and may see for a while. We will graduate 14 seniors this year. We have arguably had more talent in the past, but the coach didnt know what to do with it.
This year we only lost one game in ECC and that was to Milford by 1 goal. We beat Loveland too. That hadnt happened in like, forever! Lost to Milford in the tourney, again by 1 goal. We could never out-physical Loveland or Milford! If we tried to do that, they would have destroyed us!
Would agree with this as well. Watched West Clermont play this year, and they were a good team and clean.

You don't have to be physical with Loveland to beat them, however you do have to defend their set pieces, because that's where they'll beat you.

My son played for the Loveland coach on his boys Club team. Great coach; taught us on why set pieces are so important.

You don't have to be physical with Loveland to beat them, however you do have to defend their set pieces, because that's where they'll beat you.

My son played for the Loveland coach on his boys Club team. Great coach; taught us on why set pieces are so important.
My point exactly. If you try to out physical them, they'll get their share of free kicks. They are dangerous on set pieces anywhere on the pitch!

BREAKING NEWS: The Ohio High School Athletic Association has announced that, as a result of the outcry from the "many soccer fans" they will not be keeping score for any of the remaining state tournament soccer games this season. Instead, they will assign a panel of judges, including resident expert vedderhead, to award points according to which team plays the prettiest soccer. Points will be awarded in the following categories:

1. Combination play, regardless of whether it creates a scoring chance. (Bonus points for a give-and-go that elicits crowd reaction.)
3. First touch. Whichever team averages the closest distance maintained on first touch will be awarded these points.
4. Whatever else these "soccer experts" consider to align with "the way the game was meant to be played" (whatever that means).

Under no circumstances will the outcome depend on the following: Physicality, fitness level, grit, determination, collective team defending, set pieces (obviously those don't count), ability to execute on team scouting plan, resliency, actual goals scored vs. actual goals conceded.

When asked for comment, OHSAA officials explained that they really enjoy gymnastics and platform diving. "Let's make soccer more like those sports." One official remarked. "What could be more beautiful than that?"
I get your point, but to deny that there is a style of soccer that is more elegant, beautiful, creative, etc. is simply to admit that you do not know that much about the game. Will those teams always win? Of course not. Sometimes the best plan is to defend and counter, or play direct. But for the true soccer lover and knowledgeable fan, there IS a way the game is meant to be played. Not sure I can define it, but I know it when I see it.

I get your point, but to deny that there is a style of soccer that is more elegant, beautiful, creative, etc. is simply to admit that you do not know that much about the game. Will those teams always win? Of course not. Sometimes the best plan is to defend and counter, or play direct. But for the true soccer lover and knowledgeable fan, there IS a way the game is meant to be played. Not sure I can define it, but I know it when I see it.
I agree - I think any casual fan could tell you that some teams play a style that is easier on the eyes than some other teams. But true lovers of the game do not discount a team's success because some people don't like the way they win. That's the kind of excuse people offer up when they lose. More often than not they lost because they spent too much time trying to play a certain way that was ultimately ineffective. When winning is the end goal, spend more time focusing on doing what it takes to win. Because nobody's awarding points for elegant, beautiful, creative play, to the extent that even exists in high school soccer.

Nice, I love the passion and (some/most of) your points, SiC! In particular, I am with you in highly valuing grit, determination and resiliency (and also loyalty, which you did not mention, maybe b/c that quality is seemingly in deficient supply among this club-hopping crowd/age of parents/kids), with these being attributes/characteristics that provide a lifelong return (certainly more important than one’s ability to maintain possession). To clarify, I do think you ultimately play to win the game, as Herm said, but maybe I’m old school in that regard. However, again, that bottom line view doesn’t mean that differing styles of play aesthetically, in particular in view of these matchups, should not be discussed and debated on this forum without your somewhat over-the-top response.

My apologies, I should not have called out WC like that. They had a great year. Kudos to their players and coaches.

I love the beautiful game. I have followed a coach that knows how to teach that style. Not all of his teams have played that way though. Because the players did not have the skill level necessary to play that style. He didn’t like it but felt he had a responsibility to his players and the school to put the players in the best position to be successful. That’s the bottom line the coaches job is to give his team the best chance to win.

I’ll give an example… I think we can all agree that St. Ursula Academy probably plays the “prettiest style” and the “game the right way”.. But what’s come of that the past 10 years?
Sure club coaches and parents maybe like watching “pretty soccer”. But if coaches at that high school don’t have those high level players then they have to work with what they have. Sure some coaches will try to play that style and lose. But losing in high school soccer is not fun for anyone and won’t keep your gig for long term. Winning matters.
I’m not sure what SUA team you’ve been watching , but their style is anything but pretty. It’s mostly kick, Chase, bang, repeat. Hopefully the new AD will will fix the soccer program next as she has with the other failing programs. They can’t even get their top players to return year after year because it’s such a train wreck. Hell some have left the school altogether because of the soccer staff.

I’m not sure what SUA team you’ve been watching , but their style is anything but pretty. It’s mostly kick, Chase, bang, repeat. Hopefully the new AD will will fix the soccer program next as she has with the other failing programs. They can’t even get their top players to return year after year because it’s such a train wreck. Hell some have left the school altogether because of the soccer staff.
SUA always plays out of the back and tries to play "pretty" from their GK to their backs to their mids. I agree though, thats a program that has no business underachieving with all of the talent they get each year. As well as keeping their players from opting out.

I haven't seen SUA play the past 2 seasons, but definitely in several games I saw between 2016-2019, they had rosters full of technical players that could move the ball in "pretty" fashion from back to front. It was impressive to watch.