SLC lays an egg in Texas 7-7

If SLC's starting db's played, I think there's reason for concern when Edcouch - Elsa - a 4A weak sister from South Texas torches the secondary for 42 points. But that's JMO, I don't really follow SLC's 7-7 team ( or any other 7-7 teams for that matter). I doubt Edcouch has anyone approaching Div-1 talent at any position much less any national blue chips.

Have you even been to a 7on7 game? I think you will change your mind after watching one. The game is totally different.

A good friend of mine who refs went to the 7 on 7 and he told me that he would be VERY surprised if they run the table this year. He said that there are some chinks in the armor that needs ironed out or it is lights out for the Dragons this year.

Again - SLC does not impress anyone without pads on. They do not have the best athletes. 7 on 7 has never really been their strength. Wait till the pads come on they will be fine.

Anyone who evaluates SLC's secondary after watching them in 7 on 7 should not be taken seriously in any sports analysis. Frankly I think the person starting this thread and Pied is in the same boat.

Like SLC Dad stated Colleyville Heritage won the whole state tournament last year - what did that do for them? a 56-7 loss to SLC when the pads came on.

All that great 7 on 7 play for Colleyville and could only muster 7 points in 11 on 11.

This Thread and that stupid article is complete NONSENSE.

FINALLY a voice of reason.

Anyone who evaluates SLC's secondary after watching them in 7 on 7 should not be taken seriously in any sports analysis. Frankly I think the person starting this thread and Pied is in the same boat.

Why is that? I have stated many times that I do not think that success in 7-7 translates to the regular game.

SLCDad stated that he did not think that the three stars of the team played.

I corrected that information. I also paraphrased some info from Brian Perroni. I will repost the entire info reported about SLC now. Please keep in mind that this was a small part of the article, wiit much more ficous on potential a$m recruits.

-Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the tournament was Southlake Carroll. After losing their first game of pool play to The Woodlands, the Dragons rebounded to take out class 3A Carthage. However, in the next game they took on a 4A team from south of Corpus in Edcouch-Elsa.

This was a team that honestly had no business being on the same field as Southlake. However, Riley Dodge did not have his best day. It was the cornerbacks, though, that give me concern with Carroll. When they play passing teams this year, they could be in for some trouble.

I was also a bit disappointed in the players’ reaction to being down and then eventually losing. Obviously, they are not used to ever losing on the field and they were yelling at each other and basically talking trash to their own teammates. I will say that I did not notice this from their three D1 guys in Dodge, Tre Newton or Blake Cantu.

So are you upset that I:

A) Corrected the fact that three stars played.
B) Do not think that 7-7 success is a direct correlation
C) Disagreed w/SLCDad that SLC has in fact won a title and has been a succesful team
D) Have the thought of breaking in an entirely new secondary is not ideal and reports of this group not performing well, would in my exact words, "not make me feel great"

Again - SLC does not impress anyone without pads on. They do not have the best athletes. 7 on 7 has never really been their strength. Wait till the pads come on they will be fine.

Anyone except college recruiters. SLC is the most talented team in Texas over the last five years. Most talented being defined as having the largest number of D1 scholarships.

I am certain I am an idiot for making that comment as well.

SLCDad stated that he did not think that the three stars of the team played.

I corrected that information.

So are you upset that I:

A) Corrected the fact that three stars played.

Pied, I think you are losing it.

I never wondered if the three stars played. If you read what I posted, you will see that I only asked about Tre Newton. Since Tre missed most/all of the SQTs it is reasonable to ask if he played in the state tournament.

Riley Dodge and Blake Cantu have played in the SQTs and the state tourney. That was never in question.

To answer Ridgepride's question - I've attended the state 7-7 tournament twice and I personally find them pretty boring. I do think you can get a pretty good read on individual skill levels of the QB's, WRs, and DBs by watching them in action in this format.

Anyone except college recruiters. SLC is the most talented team in Texas over the last five years. Most talented being defined as having the largest number of D1 scholarships.

I am certain I am an idiot for making that comment as well.

SLC currently has 25 players playing D1 college football. I'm not sure if that is the most in the state or not. No doubt some of these guys got more attention as a result of SLC's success and may not have gotten offers if they were at lesser known high schools. I'd say there are many schools in Texas that have better raw athletic talent than does SLC.

Anthony Ford Georgetown 2007
Arius Ford Georgetown 2007
Robert Hill Utah State 2007
Justin Padron North Texas 2007
Kyle Russo North Texas 2007
Bryce Saldi UNLV 2007
Joseph Agnew Rice 2006
Patrick Benoist Vanderbilt 2006
Justin Drescher Colorado 2006
Evan Fentriss Rice 2006
Pete Fleps SMU 2006
McKay Jacobson Brigham Young 2006
Greg McElroy Alabama 2006
Michael Prince Missouri 2006
Clint Renfro TCU 2006
Scott Simpson Navy 2006
Corbin Smiter Rice 2006
Chase Daniel Missouri 2005
Mitch Enright SMU 2005
Pete Fleps Navy 2005
Adam Ulatoski Texas 2005
Todd Bondy Texas 2004
Garrett Hartley Oklahoma 2003
Ben Hixson Baylor 2003
Chase Wasson Texas State 2003

In addition there are former SLC football players playing D1 in other sports.

SLC currently has 25 players playing D1 college football. I'm not sure if that is the most in the state or not.

It was in Dave Campbell's. They have the most over a five year period. I think they should keep it for a year or two as well. They only had one five years ago, and have at least three this year.

Cedar Hill looked as though they could catch them this year. Did you see the article? Don't know if it is online or not.

It was in Dave Campbell's. They have the most over a five year period. I think they should keep it for a year or two as well. They only had one five years ago, and have at least three this year.

Cedar Hill looked as though they could catch them this year. Did you see the article? Don't know if it is online or not.

The 2005-06 team produced a HUGE number of D1 athletes (almost 1/2 of the 5 year total). If you look at the other years, SLC is way down the list. I think it's very tough to make the argument that SLC has the best athletic talent. I think they are not near the top of the list.

The reasons SLC players are recruited -
1) They are proven winners
2) They have good football fundamentals
3) They are academically strong.

College coaches do not have to worry about them making adequate academically progress.

The reasons SLC players are recruited -
1) They are proven winners
2) They have good football fundamentals
3) They are academically strong.

College coaches do not have to worry about them making adequate academically progress.

I notice you didn't include athletic talent on this list. I agree with you.

The 2005-06 team produced a HUGE number of D1 athletes (almost 1/2 of the 5 year total). If you look at the other years, SLC is way down the list. I think it's very tough to make the argument that SLC has the best athletic talent. I think they are not near the top of the list.

I looked at that as well. The other schools had similar "banner" years. Cedar Hill had 11. The one stand out that I recall(do not have the magazine at work) was LaMarque. I think the most they had in one year was 8.

To answer Ridgepride's question - I've attended the state 7-7 tournament twice and I personally find them pretty boring. I do think you can get a pretty good read on individual skill levels of the QB's, WRs, and DBs by watching them in action in this format.

I've refereed some of these games- You cannot get a read on the QB's because they are put in a totally different situation than in a real game. Yeah you can tell if a QB has a strong arm - but how it translates - we do not know. There is no pass rush - no blitzing LB's or corners. No scrambling - no running game - usually no disguesed coverages. No coaches to make adjustments.

One thing we can conclude is that SLC's front four pressure on the QB helps out the SLC secondary tremendously.

Ryan Leaf would still have a career if he were in 7 on 7

Pied, I think you are losing it.

I never wondered if the three stars played. If you read what I posted, you will see that I only asked about Tre Newton. Since Tre missed most/all of the SQTs it is reasonable to ask if he played in the state tournament.

Riley Dodge and Blake Cantu have played in the SQTs and the state tourney. That was never in question.

You are correct. Sorry for the error. Tre did obviously play in the state tournament.

Boy Pied you are fiesty. But how many great athletes have their career end iin high school because they are academic risks. It is my understanding why Texas did not recruit the #1 RB in the state. I don't think many folks think Tre Newton is the best back in the state but he was offered. Tre is an athletic talent, but there are in my opinion better athletes. Alot of the kids on SLCDad's list were not major conference schools.

By the way I have never heard of Todd Bondy. Is he a walk-on at Texas?

Boy Pied you are fiesty. But how many great athletes have their career end iin high school because they are academic risks. It is my understanding why Texas did not recruit the #1 RB in the state. I don't think many folks think Tre Newton is the best back in the state but he was offered. Tre is an athletic talent, but there are in my opinion better athletes. Alot of the kids on SLCDad's list were not major conference schools.

By the way I have never heard of Todd Bondy. Is he a walk-on at Texas?

You should have seen the PM that RidgePride sent me.

Certainly Texas chose not to offer Jeremy Calhoun(and others) and offer Newton. That was not necessarily a popular decision amongst orangebloods. Personally, I will put my faith in Mack and co.

That did not stop ou/Fl/a$m/Nebraska etc. Point being that if you are good you will be recruited. May not be by everyone or even the school you want but you will go somewhere if you are good enough.

I agree that the SLC list of players includes some of not high-profile schools. I think that the majority schools are like this as well if you look closely.

That's why I think it is typically best to stick to D1 as the reference(note SLCDad's list includes some non D1 schools). I have seen it broken down to BCS school, but that gets dicey in my opinion.

Nat familiar with Todd Bondy. I know he was not a scholarship guy in '04.

Mack's site shows him to be a walk on.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=187

Probably has a shiny ring and a ton of stories for his bumps and bruises.