School w/Greatest # of Grads In NFL Camps? DeMatha Has 9!

Big Drop

From Bill McGregor, DeMatha's coach: "We will have 9 kids in NFL Camps....2w/Saints, 1Phil, 1 Falcons, 1 Lions, 1`Seahawks, 1 Jets and 2 Redskins."

How do the Ohio schools compare? Or any of the schools competing in the Herbstreit of which DeMatha is one? Note that the DeMatha team playing in Cincinnati in '07 may be its best ever...

After this year's NFL Draft weekend, Warren G. Harding sent 3 former grads to NFL camps, which gives them a total of 4 overall. These players are with the Colts, Redskins, Vikings, and Ravens. With many players still in college (the most notable being Michigan's Mario Manningham, who MAY come out next year) and plenty of talent on their way to college, WGH could send more sooner than later.

FWIW, in 2001, Korey Stringer, a 1992 graduate of WGH, died from complications of heat stroke while participating in the Minnesota Vikings' traning camp.

Note that the DeMatha team playing in Cincinnati in '07 may be its best ever...
You should tell your contacts at DeMatha to lean on the Ohio vs. USA Challenge organizers to change up the pairings. If this really is DeMatha's best team ever, then it would be a waste to not have them play St. Xavier, rather than Northmont.

I can't think of a bigger travesty than DeMatha playing Northmont, and St. Xavier playing Indianapolis Cathedral, rather than playing each other. Let Northmont play Cathedral.

Totally agree. Until the matchups were announced DeMatha fully expected to be playing St. X. However, I should note that X had actually pulled out of the Herbie for several reasons and their game with Cathedral was scheduled independent of the classic. While NOrthmont is expected to be top five in Ohio in '07 St. X is expected to be number one. It would seem to be a better matchup for DeMatha. Now, they are expected to beat a good Northmont team by at least three or four touchdowns. With St. X all they had to do was merely win (yes, I know-not an easy task!). Still, beating a very good Ohio program by 20+ points is not easy, whether it's Northmont, Colerain or anyone else. For DeMatha this has really become lose/lose in a year when they had expected to be matched against Ohio's best.

My guess is that Northmont will bring 5,000+ to the game and the X fans will come regardless of who they play. Northmont probably means $50,000 + to the promoter who figures he's going to get the X fans anyway. Not to sound like a cynic but this is a profit making tournement for him; this does not always mean the best matchups.

After all look who he's matching up to play Indy who have a 108 game winning streak. How would Colerain have matched up against Charlotte Independence? For that matter, why didn't he do a double header with X vs. DeMatha and Colerain vs. Independence? And ONLY those two games and no others.

While NOrthmont is expected to be top five in Ohio in '07
I'm not sure who told you that, but I suspect it is a line fed to DeMatha to make sure they aren't even more horked off at the promoter than they probably already are.

For that matter, why didn't he do a double header with X vs. DeMatha and Colerain vs. Independence? And ONLY those two games and no others.
I think if it was up to Herbstreit, this would have been the situation. The event is too big with too many games, IMO.

I am almost positive that St. X would not pull out of the game with DeMatha if there was a choice involved. The arrangement St. X had with Cathedral was St. X could play another team in the Herbie if Cathedral could find different opponent for week 2. Because Cathedral could not find a replacement for week 2, St. X was forced, because of contract, to play Cathdral in the Herbie. I know that coach Specht would have liked nothing less than to matchup with a great team like DeMatha in the Herbie. I don't understand why Northmont and Cathedral don't just play eachother so X can play DeMatha in the Herbstreit Event

I am almost positive that St. X would not pull out of the game with DeMatha if there was a choice involved. The arrangement St. X had with Cathedral was St. X could play another team in the Herbie if Cathedral could find different opponent for week 2. Because Cathedral could not find a replacement for week 2, St. X was forced, because of contract, to play Cathdral in the Herbie. I know that coach Specht would have liked nothing less than to matchup with a great team like DeMatha in the Herbie. I don't understand why Northmont and Cathedral don't just play eachother so X can play DeMatha in the Herbstreit Event

First, Northmont will not be top 5 next year in Ohio. They might not even be top 15 for that matter. Second, X was scheduled to play Cathedral in week 2 but dropped them in order to play Dematha in the Herbie. Then there was doubt the event would happen, and X did not want to get stuck with 9 games like last year. The Herbie people could not guarantee a game for X at the time, so they went out and got one with Cathedral. When the Herbie was announced, they tried to get X but X was already in a contract with Cathedral and did not want to break it again. So X convinced Cathedral to play their game at Nippert as part of the Herbie. I would have also liked to have seen X play Dematha, but it's the Herbie peoples fault for being so disorganized.

When was the last time Northmont was top 5 in Ohio? They're lucky if they hit top 5 in the region.

DeMatha is in fact in a difficult position in the Herbie, as is Independence. They are both playing teams that have either never been in the top tier in Ohio (Northmont, though a solid program) or have fallen on hard times (Elder).

The likely scenario, as pointed out, is that they will have to blast their Ohio foes to walk out break-even in terms of their national rep/hype.

X - DeMatha and Colerain - Indy would be great matchups. The run vs. pass dynamic of Colerain - Indy would be interesting.

When was the last time Northmont was top 5 in Ohio? They're lucky if they hit top 5 in the region.

DeMatha is in fact in a difficult position in the Herbie, as is Independence. They are both playing teams that have either never been in the top tier in Ohio (Northmont, though a solid program) or have fallen on hard times (Elder).

The likely scenario, as pointed out, is that they will have to blast their Ohio foes to walk out break-even in terms of their national rep/hype.

It appears, to me at least, that there have not been any(or many) match ups at the Herbie which have been good.

You have had
DLS-Elder-DLS, recent top school in the nation playing a so so Ohio team
Texas High-Findlay-Solid Texas team playing a poor Ohio team
Colerain-Mooney(?)-walk in the park for Colerain

St. X-Lakeland-would appear to come the closest

It appears, to me at least, that there have not been any(or many) match ups at the Herbie which have been good.

You have had
DLS-Elder-DLS, recent top school in the nation playing a so so Ohio team
Texas High-Findlay-Solid Texas team playing a poor Ohio team
Colerain-Mooney(?)-walk in the park for Colerain

St. X-Lakeland-would appear to come the closest

X - Lakeland was good

Moe- Byrnes

I believe the Massillon - Hamilton (AZ) game was supposedly worth the admission

Part of the problem here is the promoters looking to get gate $$$ (Elder - DLS), pure silliness (Findlay) and trying to predict who will be having good years. Oh, and then scheduling issues a la X this year. It's not easy to get games right to begin with, and then they do things like invite Grove City for next year - which doesn't help one iota.

Part of the problem here is the promoters looking to get gate $$$ (Elder - DLS), pure silliness (Findlay) and trying to predict who will be having good years. Oh, and then scheduling issues a la X this year. It's not easy to get games right to begin with, and then they do things like invite Grove City for next year - which doesn't help one iota.

It's kid of funny to me. For years, people talked about if only we could have inter state match ups that might tell us who's better etc.

We finally get something close, and it seems like most of the time, the games do not really "tell" us much.

As you indicated, there seem to be too many variables to overcome.

I think we will always be playing the who would win, '04 Colerain-'05 SLC and so forth. In many ways that can be more entertaining, so oh well.

I believe the Massillon - Hamilton (AZ) game was supposedly worth the admission
I thought the Massillon/Hamilton Chandler game was excellent, but it was helpful to have the large Massillon crowd there to improve the atmosphere. (OK, except for a couple of obnoxious types taunting the Hamilton Chandler fans. The folks in Massillon should screen people who get seats on the visitors' side of the stadium.)

The Hilliard Davidson/Philly St. Joe's Prep was a good, tight 17-14 game as well. The only dud in Massillon was the Lakewood St. Edward/Springdale (AR) game, and that was a blowout from the get-go. St. Ed's got hosed last year with their opponent.