Rain Canceling Tournament Games?

jdizzle

So SWOhio is seeing a lot of rain today (Tuesday) for the first games of the tournament.

Question:

If canceled, do they play Wednesday and keep the originally scheduled Thursday game for those who move on?

Also, because of graduations that are scheduled in advance, what is the protocol for moving games due to graduation dates? Seems smart for school districts to stay away from setting graduations to Tuesday/Thursday for that reason. I understand, there are a lot of moving parts...

Forecast for SWO is for rain to start again about Noon/1pm, then continue through tomorrow night (Wed) at 8pm. There's a small break in the radar for Thursday, with rain coming back into the area late Thursday Night/early Friday Morning and carrying through into the weekend.

It's already rained down here early this morning and just quit about 830am/9am. Supposed to get major thunderstorm tonight with scattered thunderstorms throughout the day on Wed.

If they don't play on turf, it's going to be tough playing in these conditions. Maybe they'll get lucky and things will break open tonight, or the thunderstorms get pushed back later. As of right now, I don't see anyone playing tonight or tomorrow in SWO.

This is not a simple answer. Generally - Protocol is the next day. If that means a team plays back to back days, then it happens. In some circumstances they might back it up into Friday. The other layer to this is availability of officials. Most tourney guys working the first round are already working Wednesday (in other divisions, especially in SW Ohio) so that may bump things back.

Games can also be moved fields. One year I was to be 20 minutes from home and it moved an hour away to a playable field. The DABs have backup fields in place that can be made ready. However, it is also important to note turf fields (especially in later rounds) are pretty much a lock to play on even if seating or antefacilities are not great.

If there is a school with graduation or other issues, that is often dealt with individually. It happens more in the district and regional rounds. In 2019 I worked a regional game at 10am on a Saturday due to weather the days before and both schools having graduation and it worked out just fine. Eventually though a game must be played and people adjust.

This is not a simple answer. Generally - Protocol is the next day. If that means a team plays back to back days, then it happens. In some circumstances they might back it up into Friday. The other layer to this is availability of officials. Most tourney guys working the first round are already working Wednesday (in other divisions, especially in SW Ohio) so that may bump things back.

Games can also be moved fields. One year I was to be 20 minutes from home and it moved an hour away to a playable field. The DABs have backup fields in place that can be made ready. However, it is also important to note turf fields (especially in later rounds) are pretty much a lock to play on even if seating or antefacilities are not great.

If there is a school with graduation or other issues, that is often dealt with individually. It happens more in the district and regional rounds. In 2019 I worked a regional game at 10am on a Saturday due to weather the days before and both schools having graduation and it worked out just fine. Eventually though a game must be played and people adjust.
What are the requirements to become a "tourney guy/umpire?" Are there different requirements to do a first-round game versus second-round game versus etc...?

Weather update for SWO....Rain has been on and off all day and will continue until about 4pm when thunderstorms are expected to hit. May be on/off again from 5-7pm, but more thunderstorms to hit after 7pm and go until early morning.

Not looking good for the SWO tournament games scheduled for tonight.

Weather update for SWO....Rain has been on and off all day and will continue until about 4pm when thunderstorms are expected to hit. May be on/off again from 5-7pm, but more thunderstorms to hit after 7pm and go until early morning.

Not looking good for the SWO tournament games scheduled for tonight.
At this time (320) almost all games have been cancelled.

What are the requirements to become a "tourney guy/umpire?" Are there different requirements to do a first-round game versus second-round game versus etc...?
See the link shared. I can tell you, the process is robust and the best officials are in fact selected. It is night and day from what it was even 10 years ago.

Looks like there might be a two hour window opening up now. Might be able to stretch to 6pm. Wonder if those with turf are playable?

Was there any mention of rescheduling or moving games somewhere else tomorrow?
All I know is by default those cancelled have been rescheduled to tomorrow. At this point in the day moving given what time it is would be difficult (at least moreso than playing tomorrow). I've not heard of any that moved and it's 4pm. Mine definitely didnt ha!

I would guess alot of teams will be reaching out to those teams/venues w/turf.

I know Taylor vs CHCA was moved to Midland yesterday

I believe most teams with turf are still in it though.

Indian Hill
Moeller
New Richmond
Batavia

possibly reaching out to Midland/Xavier university/Prasco is what alot of teams will do.

Indian Hill
Moeller
New Richmond
Batavia

possibly reaching out to Midland/Xavier university/Prasco is what alot of teams will do.
I have heard this and not sure if this is true:
Because the OHSAA charges for tournament games, Prasco is out. Everything there is free

Interesting to see which games were played and which were called due to the rain. Walnut Hills/Withrow played through the rain, but Princeton game was cancelled. It'll be interesting to see how things play out today. Good news is that the threat of thunderstorms has gone down quite a bit. SWO looks to be grey/dreary most of today, with the greatest chance of rain coming between 4pm-7pm (at least north of 275). Should be able to get in quite a few games, as long as the fields are playable.

Interesting to see which games were played and which were called due to the rain. Walnut Hills/Withrow played through the rain, but Princeton game was cancelled. It'll be interesting to see how things play out today. Good news is that the threat of thunderstorms has gone down quite a bit. SWO looks to be grey/dreary most of today, with the greatest chance of rain coming between 4pm-7pm (at least north of 275). Should be able to get in quite a few games, as long as the fields are playable.
It's going to take a heck of a field crew to get fields playable today. Not saying it is impossible, but there will have to be a lot of man-hours to get them ready to go. Hopefully, the rain can hold off and we can play some ball.

Indian Hill
Moeller
New Richmond
Batavia

XU plays at home Thursday-Saturday and wont rent out the day before and are not usually open to renting to OHSAA.

Prasco is wishy washy about OHSAA events (but not for the aforementioned free reason - and I believe is already being used this weekend). Host the Big East tourney next weekend and something right after.

Not sure on Midland.

I have heard this and not sure if this is true:
Because the OHSAA charges for tournament games, Prasco is out. Everything there is free
In talking to colleagues who work tournament games year in and year out in the Cincy area, Prasco has been used for the completion of suspended games in the past.

Makes sense since money would be collected and not returned if the original game was suspended at another site. No charge for the completion of a game already started.

Curious if local teams who do not play today and have turf fields would offer up their site for a game. Mason and their turf field comes to mind. They are scheduled to play tomorrow. The only impact would be on practice times.

Curious if local teams who do not play today and have turf fields would offer up their site for a game. Mason and their turf field comes to mind. They are scheduled to play tomorrow. The only impact would be on practice times.
Another factor to consider is other events already scheduled at the school.

Lots of games were played yesterday in SWOhio despite a lot of rain the previous day and into the morning. I applaud all of the people, including coaches, for getting their fields ready to play. Hopefully, most people are back on their regular schedule with games happening tonight. Best of luck to everyone!

So SWOhio is seeing a lot of rain today (Tuesday) for the first games of the tournament.

Question:

If canceled, do they play Wednesday and keep the originally scheduled Thursday game for those who move on?

Also, because of graduations that are scheduled in advance, what is the protocol for moving games due to graduation dates? Seems smart for school districts to stay away from setting graduations to Tuesday/Thursday for that reason. I understand, there are a lot of moving parts...
2 out of 3 years the Seniors had a regional game the day of graduation and those seniors just did a special presentation and popped smoke and left.

We marched in, did the prayer, the Super called the baseball players up front, got our diploma's and went and took BP and left for the game and it was G L O R I O U S!!!!!

Not a fan of moving the games, seen some at like 9AM, F that, this isnt your freaking travel fleecing leagues. If your Seniors have a game, deal with it with those individuals and dont shake up the whole system.

2 out of 3 years the Seniors had a regional game the day of graduation and those seniors just did a special presentation and popped smoke and left.

We marched in, did the prayer, the Super called the baseball players up front, got our diploma's and went and took BP and left for the game and it was G L O R I O U S!!!!!

Not a fan of moving the games, seen some at like 9AM, F that, this isnt your freaking travel fleecing leagues. If your Seniors have a game, deal with it with those individuals and dont shake up the whole system.
Or you could get up and get there and play at 9 and man up. It's not that hard.

I think the moving thing really comes down to how much of a move is required. If we are talking an hour either direction I don't think thats much of an ask. But significant moves are way to much of an inconvenience unless it benefits both teams.

Or you could get up and get there and play at 9 and man up. It's not that hard.
No.
That is pure idiotic. I even think the 10am state football games are stupid, but at least with that you know in advance, understand why because there are 3 other games that day, and if you are far enough away you get lodging the night before.

The few SRs it effects....THEY should make an arrangments, not everyone else.

I think the moving thing really comes down to how much of a move is required. If we are talking an hour either direction I don't think thats much of an ask. But significant moves are way to much of an inconvenience unless it benefits both teams.
I can get behind that. I was more referencing to moving it to a different day which can really screw with your pitching, and the aformentioned 9AM regional games I have seen over the years.

That is pure idiotic. I even think the 10am state football games are stupid, but at least with that you know in advance, understand why because there are 3 other games that day, and if you are far enough away you get lodging the night before.

The few SRs it effects....THEY should make an arrangments, not everyone else.

I can get behind that. I was more referencing to moving it to a different day which can really screw with your pitching, and the aformentioned 9AM regional games I have seen over the years.
Why is it idiotic? Athletes complete, they can adapt and they give notice. I worked NCAA games at 9-10am before.

Why is it idiotic? Athletes complete, they can adapt and they give notice. I worked NCAA games at 9-10am before.
Nobody wants to attend or play in a game at 9AM.

Inconvenience the masses to accomadate the few.........yeah, seems legit.

Either move the game an hour or 2 one way, or the kids at graduation make different arrangements like we did. WOrked perfectly, no stupid 9am game

More rain in SWOhio today.... a lot of games were played yesterday, but still a lot to play today that were moved for graduation, etc... Field crews have their hands full again! Good luck to anyone playing today and better luck to the coaches/crews to get their field ready to play.