Racial Slurs By Announcer When Girls Basketball Team Kneels During The Anthem...Overshadows State Title

Interesting...

Unbelievable that he made those comments.

I did like most of his apology letter, but the "sugar spiking" thing is his excuse - and I would have advised him to leave that out because it is an excuse for what he said was inexcusable.

We had this mean 3rd grade teacher at my kids elementary school who yelled at kids who didn't get their work done fast enough and who threw shoes, chalk, erasers, etc. at children she was upset with. I talked to the principal about her behavior and he used the sugar excuse for her. I told him that I know a lot of diabetics, and I don't know one that abuses children because of it. She was later fired.

But, I don't agree with coaches allowing their teams to kneel at the HS level. It is divisive, provocative, and disrespectful. I understand that it is intended to be all of those things in order to draw attention to an issue that is important to them, but it does not persuade people who have a different view of their country, flag, and anthem to support the cause the kneelers have - it only alienates them. And it shows a profound lack of gratitude in the sense that these girls live in a country that affords them the luxury to play a sport and win a championship when other kids their age around the world don't have those opportunities and have to struggle to just survive. HS kids should be taught to acknowledge what they have been blessed with as well as be guided on how to effectively advocate for causes they feel strongly about. Kneeling ain't it.

It's a teachable moment - an opportunity to teach respect, gratitude, and effective activism. Coaches who allow their players to kneel are not serving their players well. Children should not be put in adult situations where they aren't prepared to deal with the adult consequences of their actions and do not understand the pros and cons of how their actions help or detract from the issue they care about. FWIW