Princeton 2011-2012

All good points-and I agree a coach should try to do both, and also teach kids life lessons they will carry with them. I also don't think, and have never said, that if a coach doesn't win it all, they are doing a bad job. I agree with previous posts that winning a state tournament is tough and you need some luck along the way. It is also not the end-all to coaching. And if a kid could have a choice between a college scholarship and a state ring, 99.9% would choose the college scholarship. But let's turn around what you said. How do you think the other 11 players on a team would feel if a coach promoted 1 player on the team that he or she thought had a shot at a scholarship to the detriment of everyone else on the team. I think you would have 1 happy player and 11 unhappy ones. Is that fair? That's why I say it's up to the coach to have a team first approach. Again, nothing says you can't try to do both, as well as developing character and life lessons that team sports can provide.

Good point. I do agree. I see where you were going with it now. You have an excellent point. There is a balance to the team approach. I agree with you. Good point.

Clearly most of the people don't really watch Kelsey play, or even the Princeton team for that matter. They have a very solid TEAM, where on any night you have 5 players that can not only score double digits but can put up 20 points (and they have this season already). Kelsey is a pure Derek Rose type point guard that not only is the best player on the court, not only can she score 40 a game, but she passes and makes her teammates better. Like Vikes 87 said, a lot of her passes go unnoticed to do missed shots by teammates or her passes are so good they players aren't quite ready and mishandle the pass.
Princeton runs an offense which anyone watching a game could see, its based on taking advantage of their athletic players. Meaning it is a read and react based attack where you put trust in your players to make the correct plays. If it was the K. Mitch show then she would be putting up 50 shots a night.
To defend Phillips, how many great players don't win a state championship? Most of them. She does have a lot of good players, and often has one great player at a time. That doesn't guarantee you will win every game, play perfect every night, and go straight to columbus. Ask any good coach and they will tell you that there is always a little luck involved in getting to Columbus. There is always going to be a game where you need something to fall your way to get over the hump and win.
Jill is a class act coach, cares for her kids, runs a great program, and yes, gets her kids into college programs (this is the goal of any HS coach in any sport, make sure you get your kids to higher education).[/QUOTE]

Here is the only part of this post I have a problem with. The goal of and HS coach in any sport should be to have your team be successful first and foremost, with several other goals as well, among them getting your kids a higher education. They shouldn't be putting individual players ahead of the team. I'm assuming you did not mean that is the #1 goal of a coach, or Jill.

I am not saying trying to get one or two of the girls into college for basketball, their goal is for all of their players to go to college for education. Basketball and other sports are tools to keep kids focused, motivated and learn life skills to help them. 99% of the kids in high school aren't going to be professional athletes so it is a tool to help you in life. Winning is a bonus, state championships are like the double bonus.

need some help

The lady vikes have talent.
Year after year after year. Same story.
It not the kids.

Looking at Princeton's schedule, the only speed bump on their schedule to another perfect season is January 25, when they play Sycamore. Other than that they finish their last 5 games with: Colerain, Middletown, Fairfield, Hamilton, and Oak Hills (yawn). I need someone on here to give me concrete reason why to believe this team will be any different than the rest when it gets to districts and them advancing. As I have said all along, all you have to do it play solid defense (don't try to full court press them, this feeds into their game). Make them run a half court offense. I see the same pattern as always. Dominate regular season, then get knocked out early when they play a team that has enough horses to play defense and force them into a half court game.

I am siting her open. Can anyone tell me why this team will be different?

This team will not be different. They proved they can't play with the big dogs.

They played very well last night even in a loss to McKinley. I came away very impressed. Not sure what happened today against Toledo Notre Dame though.... ND is very good as well, but Princeton didn't put many points on the board.

same old

70 something posts in this thread and still the same old song. all hype and no hardware. wake me up when phillips gets to columbus. i may be in for a long nap. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Princeton got a great draw for the tournament! They should win their sectional pretty easily, then they would most likely play Lakota East or McAuley in the Districts. Both teams they should be able to beat. Maybe they can make a deep run.....good luck to them!