Pay to Play

Fatman

With more and more schools adopting Pay-to-Play,do you see schools opting to get rid of their bowling teams. $500 - $600 a year to be on a bowling team is a big chunk of change.

I think its disciminatory that HS's dont consider having a bowling alley in the HS. At least a practice lane in a hall way or something.

I think its disciminatory that HS's dont consider having a bowling alley in the HS. At least a practice lane in a hall way or something.

I understand your feeling, but from a cost stand point it doesn't make sense to do it.

All you need do is look at the Yappi Bowling webpage. The interest is just not there on any front. Heck, Bowling is sucking hind tit even in the listing of boys high school sports.

If I am an administrator, this is way, way, down on the places I want to spend my severely limited funds, be it a private or public school. If I am in Lakota School District you dang better get me busing before a bowling alley.

It is nice to see someone comment after months of having this on the board.

What do you know. I finally got someone besides me to post on the Bowling website.

Nice to see someone is out there?

Yes it absolutely is discriminatory. The school administration discriminates between a wise use of funds and uses they feel are better to not involve themselves in. That kind of discrimination is perfectly welcome.

Laughable. Let the kids who cannot "make it" in baseball and football suffer rather than involve them in the fabric of varsity HS sports.

Ironically the schools have no issue paying the local YMCA for water time for swim teams.

Laughable. Let the kids who cannot "make it" in baseball and football suffer rather than involve them in the fabric of varsity HS sports.

Ironically the schools have no issue paying the local YMCA for water time for swim teams.

First, relating suffering for kids to having to go to the local bowling alley for practice vs having a facility in the school itself is not only laughable but is a strong indicator of how soft American kids have became.

Secondly, the local alley relies on funds from the school for practicing in order to stay afloat in many cases. It is far more economically feasible for schools to rent lanes than build their own. A practice lane would not be acceptable for an entire team to practice on and they would still need to go to the alley for team practice. Small schools generally do not have bowling teams, as there are few alleys located in rural Ohio. You said it yourself, the swim teams rent their space, as it is much more economically viable than installation, upkeep and liability associated with a pool on campus. I am all for extracurricular participation of students but not in favor of blank checks. I ran cross country a couple years in high school and we had to drive a couple miles to an active cow pasture for practice. You had to run with an eye to the ground continually or risk stepping in some foreign substance. If someone suggested back then that we suffered by not having a course on campus, I would have said, "that's a bunch of crap", then I would have ran on. Keeping an eye to the ground to not step in it.