PAC-7 2022-23

If anyone gets bored, you can check out an incredible 3OT battle in the 8th grade tournament semifinals between Orrville and Triway. This game has it all -- a double-digit comeback, multiple last-second shots, and really good middle school basketball in a rivalry game.

Full video: https://triwayathletics.com/video/439204/middle-school-boys-basketball
(Note: There is no audio with this video, but both crowds were electric throughout.)

Want to skip to the good parts?
  • 0:17:00 -- Game starts.
  • 1:09:50 -- Orrville goes up 12 points (42-30) with 4:00 left in the 4th quarter, which is when Triway starts its 14-0 run.
  • 1:18:50 -- Clutch timeout called by Orrville coach with 0:12 left in regulation; then they score with 0:05 left to force OT (44-44).
  • 1:23:00 -- First OT begins.
  • 1:25:45 -- Last minute of OT gets pretty exciting with the teams trading baskets, culminated by Orrville, down 3, getting an "and-1" on a putback with 0:03 left to send it to 2OT (51-51).
  • 1:31:00 -- Second OT begins.
  • 1:39:00 -- Triway hits 3-pointer at the buzzer to send the game to 3OT (57-57).
  • 1:40:45 -- Third OT begins. Goes back and forth for a few minutes before Triway pulls away late.
  • 1:53:00 -- Game ends. Triway wins 76-66.

You are correct. Forgive me, I’m just gloating a little. Discussion at the beginning of the season was that northwest was going to win the league and that cvca was going to get outcoached. I found that to be quite bold.
CVCA coach throwing fits and yelling with other coaches while up 30 was enough satisfaction.

CVCA coach throwing fits and yelling with other coaches while up 30 was enough satisfaction.
I don’t recall seeing this ever occurring this season. He’s never thrown a fit and rarely raises his voice ever

unless you’re talking about the Manchester coach whining about whatever he had to whine about, but Futch didn’t “yell” at anyone or come close to “throwing a fit”

You were right. It took until the tournament for the guy with a top 5 pick to get outcoached by and lose to Glenville in a district final. I was wrong for thinking it would happen in the regular season. Never change CVCA!
It was one of you pac-ers who claimed he would be outcoached. That being said, all Glenville did was double team him and force him to give up the ball and that exposed the less than average talent of the rest of the team. Interesting that none of the coaches in the pac were able to figure that out.

It was one of you pac-ers who claimed he would be outcoached. That being said, all Glenville did was double team him and force him to give up the ball and that exposed the less than average talent of the rest of the team. Interesting that none of the coaches in the pac were able to figure that out.
I don't have a dog in this fight between the two of you, but with that being said, none of the PAC schools had close to the talent or athleticism that Glenville does. So I don't think it was a matter of the coaches not being able to figure it out. The PAC as a whole this year was really not that good at all.

Feels like a disappointing season from CVCA overall. They essentially won every game they were supposed to (with the exception of the district final) and lost each of the marquee games. A very Ohio State football-esque year. Which would be fine for a lot of teams, but when you have the greatest player your school is likely ever going to have who is probably an NBA draft pick in a handful of years, the end result feels like it should be better.

I don't have a dog in this fight between the two of you, but with that being said, none of the PAC schools had close to the talent or athleticism that Glenville does. So I don't think it was a matter of the coaches not being able to figure it out. The PAC as a whole this year was really not that good at all.

Feels like a disappointing season from CVCA overall. They essentially won every game they were supposed to (with the exception of the district final) and lost each of the marquee games. A very Ohio State football-esque year. Which would be fine for a lot of teams, but when you have the greatest player your school is likely ever going to have who is probably an NBA draft pick in a handful of years, the end result feels like it should be better.

Athleticism or not, the games I saw the pac teams didn’t even attempt to trap him. Several of them didn’t even seem to have tried to devise anything to stop him.
That being said, I agree with your assessment of the end. The “next Lebron” as the ABJ stated couldn’t get us a even a district championship

I saw a couple of CVCAs games. Peterson is all that. However, they didnt have any kind of supporting cast as far as I could tell. That model doesnt make for a long playoff run.

I saw a couple of CVCAs games. Peterson is all that. However, they didnt have any kind of supporting cast as far as I could tell. That model doesnt make for a long playoff run.
Yes, sorry you already stated this well. Did the kid who was supposed to join him from Glen Oak stay at Glen Oak?