OHSAA Respect the Game

I will agree that there are many officials who do not know the intricacies of every rule, but coaches know less, usually far less, and fans know almost nothing. I believe many fans are not even aware that there are huge rule differences between the various levels.

I hear almost nothing from the fans and ignore most of what comes from the coaches. I know that there are many officials who cannot do that.

What I do hear and appreciate are the "thank you's" and "good job's" after the game.

Last edited:
As a parent I get angry as well when officials show up 50+lbs overweight, don’t hustle and absolutely cost kids the game.

They deserve to be screamed at until they don’t come back.

I’ve got more respect for that 50+ lbs overweight official than someone like you that sits and complains and does nothing about it.

People like you are the reason why decent people choose to stay home.

I will agree that there are many officials who do not know the intricacies of every rule, but coaches know less, usually far less, and fans know almost nothing. I believe many fans are not even aware that there are huge rule differences between the various levels.

I hear almost nothing from the fans and ignore most of what comes from the coaches. I know that there are many officials who cannot do that.

What I do hear and appreciate are the "thank you's" and "good job's" after the game.
Remember officials also try and instigate things with coaches too!!! Especially after they know they messed up

Do everyone a favor then and become an official.
Nothing worse than taking the field or court with folks who need oxygen tanks or walkers and make the game about themselves once the game starts.

It’s absurd… But “the brotherhood”. So you can’t say anything to them.

Glad the 10 million they're sitting on was used to come up with this great idea. I'm sure a nicely worded public message will completely change fan behavior.

The reality is very simple. Fans that are out of control should be removed from the stadium and issued a citation. You get more than one in a calendar year, and they should be banned. Administrators and schools are too afraid of confrontation to do this, so the current environment is what we get.
Lol right! I agree with damn near all of this. How would they enforce Billy Baskets Dad if he were Banned? The amount of so called Leaders in Schools that are often afraid of confrontation is mind boggling. How can Anyone be in Any type of Leadership Position and not expect some kind of non sense and confrontation?

What is considered out of control? Get some glasses bum is that out of control or lose some weight so you can be in position to make a call. Games I go to the crowds are smaller, but the abuse is no worse than it was 30 years ago. How dare somebody question a call or boo the zebras. How about zebras growing thicker skin instead of stomach sizes.
Do people go to Your wife’s work and talk about her stomach size when they think she messed up?

You must be that guy no one wants to work with.
Maybe, maybe not. I’m definitely the guy that isn’t going to cosign this fan behavior BS.

Some guys deserve all the screaming.

Officiating is becoming the only thing to can’t get yelled at for being terrible. Just empowers more folks to be terrible with no repercussions.

Maybe, maybe not. I’m definitely the guy that isn’t going to cosign this fan behavior BS.

Some guys deserve all the screaming.

Officiating is becoming the only thing to can’t get yelled at for being terrible. Just empowers more folks to be terrible with no repercussions.
Getting yelled at by ignorant a---holes isn't helpful.

I have seen fans go way over the line and have also seen refs have rabbit ears.
The reality is very simple. Fans that are out of control should be removed from the stadium and issued a citation. You get more than one in a calendar year, and they should be banned. Administrators and schools are too afraid of confrontation to do this, so the current environment is what we get.
Someone has to define out of control in order for this to work. Is a bit of groaning or a "come on ref" too much? Is some booing too much? Where is the line? If we are talking about possibly banning someone from every attending sporting events again in their life we need to have some common standard that we can point to.

As a parent I get angry as well when officials show up 50+lbs overweight, don’t hustle and absolutely cost kids the game.

They deserve to be screamed at until they don’t come back.
Congratulations. That's the dumbest thing I'll read all day.

What is considered out of control? Get some glasses bum is that out of control or lose some weight so you can be in position to make a call. Games I go to the crowds are smaller, but the abuse is no worse than it was 30 years ago. How dare somebody question a call or boo the zebras. How about zebras growing thicker skin instead of stomach sizes.
I'll guess you've never officiated? IF you have, then you would be someone I would never trust to officiate with.

Why?

There seems to be a shortage of refs but no shortage of critics. It's easy to offer criticisms without offering or participating as part of the solution.
I don’t want to be a ref. I go to games every Friday. Does that mean I’m not allowed to point out a bad call?

If I critique a Ryan Day play call on Saturday does that mean I think I should be the head coach lol

I don’t want to be a ref. I go to games every Friday. Does that mean I’m not allowed to point out a bad call?

If I critique a Ryan Day play call on Saturday does that mean I think I should be the head coach lol
Nobody wants to ref. That's the problem. Everyone wants to be critical but not part of the solution.

Pointing out a bad call and over the top abuse and criticism of all officiating are different things.

Also, there's no shortage of qualified people who would be willing to do Ryan Day's job. There is a shortage of high school referees.