OHSAA adds Boy's Volleyball for '22-'23 school year

az0217t

Reactions: jlp

Well, now more schools will have teams which, in turn, should mean that more boys will play. And if the coaches who say they want to "grow the game" actually care about doing so, then this should be viewed as a good thing. If more teams equals more kids playing results in a little bit more parity, I'm all for it. Might take awhile, but I'm for the potential growth it allows.

The OHSBVA has done a tremendous job running the sport. I hope the OHSAA doesn't decide to come in and change everything that is in place. It should help with growth over time, but it may take 8-10 years to see any material growth and even longer to see more parity. I'm cautiously optimistic this will be a good thing, but I'm also not holding my breath that the OHSAA won't come in and mess things up.

The OHSBVA has done a tremendous job running the sport. I hope the OHSAA doesn't decide to come in and change everything that is in place.
I agree. I hope the OHSAA and OHSBVA work together to build on what's been working for the past few decades.

But would the OHSAA do something like insist boys volleyball and girls volleyball occur in the same (fall) season? Would they want the state tournaments to be consecutive weekends like basketball or the same weekend like soccer and lacrosse? Is tennis the only sport where boys are spring and girls are fall?

I agree. I hope the OHSAA and OHSBVA work together to build on what's been working for the past few decades.

But would the OHSAA do something like insist boys volleyball and girls volleyball occur in the same (fall) season? Would they want the state tournaments to be consecutive weekends like basketball or the same weekend like soccer and lacrosse? Is tennis the only sport where boys are spring and girls are fall?
Boys Lacrosse is Fall and Girls is Spring or vice versa? Boys Volleyball in Fall season during football season may add to the Officials shortage issue. Hope this all works out, there is some outstanding Boys Volleyball being played at Ohio High Schools.

Boys Lacrosse is Fall and Girls is Spring or vice versa?
Boys and girls lacrosse are in the spring. https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/glacrosse https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/blacrosse
Boys Volleyball in Fall season during football season may add to the Officials shortage issue.
That's a really good point. Perhaps the strongest reason to keep them in separate seasons. I've always figured volleyball doesn't have a ton of officials just based on the overall popularity level of the sport compared to others. Then again it's probably easier to officiate later in life since you can remain stationary as opposed to running up and down a field or court like in soccer or basketball.

Boys and girls lacrosse are in the spring. https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/glacrosse https://www.ohsaa.org/sports/blacrosse

That's a really good point. Perhaps the strongest reason to keep them in separate seasons. I've always figured volleyball doesn't have a ton of officials just based on the overall popularity level of the sport compared to others. Then again it's probably easier to officiate later in life since you can remain stationary as opposed to running up and down a field or court like in soccer or basketball.
I can attest to the fact that most volleyball officials are older lol

OHSAA has already stated boys volleyball will be a spring sport.

Looks like there's already some positive momentum with new schools adding, such as Trotwood-Madison, Newark, Cuyahoga Falls, Notre Dame Cathedral Latin, Lebanon, and Christian Academy. Although some of those could have been in the works prior to the OHSAA announcement.

Getting close to 100 total schools is pretty cool.

How many Boys Volleyball Teams will have “Girls” on the Team? Can the “Boys” be on a Girls Team in the Fall?

B
Looks like there's already some positive momentum with new schools adding, such as Trotwood-Madison, Newark, Cuyahoga Falls, Notre Dame Cathedral Latin, Lebanon, and Christian Academy. Although some of those could have been in the works prior to the OHSAA announcement.

Getting close to 100 total schools is pretty cool.
Big Walnut just announced the addition today as well!

How many Boys Volleyball Teams will have “Girls” on the Team? Can the “Boys” be on a Girls Team in the Fall?
I think very few. The only instance I can recall is the libero for Fairfield a few years back. And it wasn't like she really wanted to play on the boys team, but she had a torn ACL or MCL during the girls season (her senior year) so it was actually pretty cool that she got to play during her senior year I thought.