Officiating?

turpinspartan08

Cooling Off
I just watched the u of l game and all I can say is man there are bad officials out there. I know I have heard they get 95% of calls correct. But the majority of calls are easy to make. This isn't to rip on officials but I read something last year that analyzed why there is a home field advantage. This study claims home advantage is bc of refs. People like to please others and don't want to be different so they will side with the majority. They do this subconsciously and it happens with people in different scenarios. I thought it was an interesting read. Any thoughts on this

I just watched the u of l game and all I can say is man there are bad officials out there. I know I have heard they get 95% of calls correct. But the majority of calls are easy to make. This isn't to rip on officials but I read something last year that analyzed why there is a home field advantage. This study claims home advantage is bc of refs. People like to please others and don't want to be different so they will side with the majority. They do this subconsciously and it happens with people in different scenarios. I thought it was an interesting read. Any thoughts on this

It's simply not true. While an official can have a bad night it's not because of a home crowd. By the time guys hit the Varsity level of high school the crowds don't affect them. When you see a foul or travel it's an automatic whistle, almost like it's subconsious. The home court is great because it simply makes the home team play faster and harder.

I think you are taking this as a knock against officials when it just human nature. I will try and find it so you can read up if you choose. The facts behind it are hard to argue against.

It's simply not true. While an official can have a bad night it's not because of a home crowd. By the time guys hit the Varsity level of high school the crowds don't affect them. When you see a foul or travel it's an automatic whistle, almost like it's subconsious. The home court is great because it simply makes the home team play faster and harder.
It's the charge vs blocking call that could go either way or the no-call that ends up in the home teams favor. It happens and there are stats (like the above Freakonomics article) that show it.

Officiating hasn't changed; if you lose, it's the officials fault.:rolleyes:

I don't need a study to know that fans have a bias in favor of their team, they have an incredible ability to spot fouls against their team and are blind when their team commits them, nothing new.

I don't need a study to know that fans have a bias in favor of their team, they have an incredible ability to spot fouls against their team and are blind when their team commits them, nothing new.
Oh, people absolutely whine about refs when their team is losing, but the stats bear it out: home court leads to a refereeing advantage.

Oh, people absolutely whine about refs when their team is losing, but the stats bear it out: home court leads to a refereeing advantage.

Stats don't bear anything out other than the home team wins more, and I certainly wouldn't use European soccer leagues as an example

I've attended several games (especially at the HS level) where I had no dog in the fight and I could clearly see bad officiating. Not always a case of bias.

Why don't you look at the studies termite? You may learn something if you want to be objective

The article clearly states it's a theory; and I am not impressed by using European soccer leagues as a basis for anything.
Fact: home team wins more often: reason?