UPDATE (6/14) - NEWSFLASH!!! - Grant Harrison (New Richmond) - 17' 1" @ BYU

JAVMAN83

New Richmond Junior, Grant Harrison, just set a new Ohio Division II record in the pole vault with his 16' 8 1/4" clearance this evening at the New Richmond Div. II district meet @ New Richmond HS. This breaks the old OHSAA Div. II record of 16' 6 1/4" by Coty Cobb (Middletown Madison) in 2015, and also breaks the Ohio Div. II record of 16' 8" by David Adams (Gnadenhutten Indian Valley) set in June 2022.

Reactions: SLS

New Richmond has a long history of success with vaulters at that district meet. Wonder who their coaches have been?

Worth noting Matt Ludwig(Lake Catholic) jumped 16' 8 3/4" on his way to winning the decathlon at the 2015 New Balance Nationals

Worth noting Matt Ludwig(Lake Catholic) jumped 16' 8 3/4" on his way to winning the decathlon at the 2015 New Balance Nationals
Very true, #10 on the Ohio A-T list, and now a 19 foot vaulter himself, and was a member of the 2021 Olympics after Sam Kenricks was unfortunate enough to test positive for Covid that prevented him from making the trip.

Harrison also competed in 3 other events . He won the 100m (11.01) and got 4th in the 200 (22.86) and 7th in the long jump (19' 5.5").

Newsflash - Grant Harrison - 17 feet at Piqua! A new Divison II Ohio record, just 3" off the all-time Ohio outdoor record of 17' 3"

Last edited:
Harrison is so good. It’s quite unfortunate, as CHCA has a top vaulter in DII but he can’t even win at the district meet due to Grant’s dominance

Harrison is so good. It’s quite unfortunate, as CHCA has a top vaulter in DII but he can’t even win at the district meet due to Grant’s dominance.
I have video of the vault myself. 2nd attempt clearance, but he couldn't attempt higher as Piqua's standards wouldn't go any higher! 18 foot HS standards have been out for the past 40 years!

Update: Grant's 17 foot clearance was also a Cincinnati-area record, breaking Paul Signorelli's (Cincinnati Turpin) mark of 16' 10" in winning the '21 State D1 meet. It is also just behind the Ohio junior class record of 17' 0 3/4" by Jacob Blankenship (Gahanna Lincoln) set in winning the New Balance Nationals in June 2011.

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows this is quite remarkable but he is not a given to be the state champion. Liberty Benton junior Stephan Kolan should be right there as well. I have no dog in this fight nor do I have any connection to either school but I have seen Stephan clear 17’ easily and I do mean by 6-8”-in person so I know what he can do. Best of luck to both. I hope they do their best and set a new record in the process

Do we know if Welcome stadium can accommodate higher? DII pole vault is real good this year
I sure as hell hope and expect so. If I were his coach, I would've confirmed this long before this point. If they don't, someone needs to raise some serious hell.

I'm looking for the link to the results of the meet. 17' 1" would be a new Ohio junior class record, taking down Blankenship's 17' 0 3/4" in winning the New Balance Outdoor back in 2011.

Update: This meet was at the BYU track camp, meet #1 on 13 June.

Last edited: