MVL 2023-24

I can’t seem to remember. With the playoff expansion does it work like it used to with top playing bottom? Used to be 1 v 8 so is it now 1 v 16?

Fantastic 50 currently predicts Tipp as the 2 and Butler as the 3 seed in region 12. That's assuming Wapak beats Celina tonight. So there is a world where they get a rematch, but that would involve Tipp having to beat someone like Mount Healthy in round 2, and Butler beating someone like Celina.

But all of that could mean nothing if teams can't even get out of the first round (see Xenia last season). Fun to look at the possibilities regardless.

Similar for Troy, they're looking at getting a fellow MVL team in the first round (even a chance it's Piqua, which would be cool). After that most likely looks like Harrison, who they could maybe compete with if they have Ward.

It'll all be more set in stone later tonight though.

Troys defense can keep them in most games. Our success is going to depend a lot on if Ward can go or not. Our defense can keep it low scoring but we also would need to score. I would like our chances with Harrison if we go in fully healthy

Fantastic 50 currently predicts Tipp as the 2 and Butler as the 3 seed in region 12. That's assuming Wapak beats Celina tonight. So there is a world where they get a rematch, but that would involve Tipp having to beat someone like Mount Healthy in round 2, and Butler beating someone like Celina.

But all of that could mean nothing if teams can't even get out of the first round (see Xenia last season). Fun to look at the possibilities regardless.

Similar for Troy, they're looking at getting a fellow MVL team in the first round (even a chance it's Piqua, which would be cool). After that most likely looks like Harrison, who they could maybe compete with if they have Ward.

It'll all be more set in stone later tonight though.
Looking forward to the dust settling tonight and getting a look at all the matchups.

Troy can’t even beat Tipp in football, let alone any other sport. So you think if Troy, being the largest school in this conference, who doesn’t even compete with Tipp, the smallest school in this conference, can compete in the GWOC you should get checked out. Let’s be realistic, nobody in this conference can really compete in basketball or football with the GWOC schools. But Tipp is the only school whose entire athletic program is good enough that they could compete in some of the other sports. Tipp has won the all sports trophy every season of MVL existence and is well on its way to winning it again, with winning the conference title in every single fall sport this year if they beat Xenia tonight.

Troy can’t even beat Tipp in football, let alone any other sport. So you think if Troy, being the largest school in this conference, who doesn’t even compete with Tipp, the smallest school in this conference, can compete in the GWOC you should get checked out. Let’s be realistic, nobody in this conference can really compete in basketball or football with the GWOC schools. But Tipp is the only school whose entire athletic program is good enough that they could compete in some of the other sports. Tipp has won the all sports trophy every season of MVL existence and is well on its way to winning it again, with winning the conference title in every single fall sport this year if they beat Xenia tonight.
Wrong. So we didn't beat you twice in baseball this year and once in basketball? Twice in softball. Also wrestling, swimming. Why does every poster on this site think Tipp is the best thing since sliced bread? Your football team isn't better either. If you take the main 3 sports... football, basketball, baseball. You arent better than Troy at any of them

Last edited:
You also have to remember that Troy DID compete in the GWOC. Also the GMVC. Also the WOL. And was successful. There is actual statistical evidence of that. It happened. SO yes, we could compete.

Wrong. So we didn't beat you twice in baseball this year and once in basketball? Twice in softball. Also wrestling, swimming. Why does every poster on this site think Tipp is the best thing since sliced bread?
I don't think he's denying that Troy does beat Tipp in some sports here and there, but the fact that Tipp wins the all sports trophy each and every year, as a significantly smaller school than pretty much everyone in the conference, means Troy would have a rough time in the current GWOC, at least with the current state of their athletics. Sure, Troy could hang in the GWOC in a few sports like baseball, soccer, but overall they'd likely take a pounding over there trying to punch up in weight.

Though maybe being thrown in to the bigger pond of the current GWOC would force Troy to adapt and they'd make improvements in a number of areas. Historically Troy may have competed in other larger conferences, but the current state of the athletics department they would struggle mightily overall.

Your football team isn't better either. If you take the main 3 sports... football, basketball, baseball. You arent better than Troy at any of them
This is a pretty funny argument to make since Tipp has beaten Troy 4 straight times in football. Sure, you can think they might be better, or hypothetically think they would win a rematch, but the results speak for themselves. If Troy was better, why didn't they win the last 4 games?

Tipp boys basketball is also 6-2 in the last 8 vs. Troy. Baseball is 2-4 against Troy in the last 6, and I will admit Troy is better overall in baseball with more talent, but Tipp is usually competitive.

Who is better obviously can change year to year, but anyone with a brain looking at the results since the MVL started would not come to the same conclusions you did.

Wrong. So we didn't beat you twice in baseball this year and once in basketball? Twice in softball. Also wrestling, swimming. Why does every poster on this site think Tipp is the best thing since sliced bread? Your football team isn't better either. If you take the main 3 sports... football, basketball, baseball. You arent better than Troy at any of them
Troy hasn’t beaten Tipp in a SINGLE fall sport this year. Tipp has beat Troy in Football, Boys and girls soccer, volleyball, boys and girls golf, girls tennis and cross country. Every. Single. Sport. Come again. Tipp’s football team is way better than Troy. 4 straight wins, way more accomplishments, I know it’s hard for you I’m sorry.

Troy hasn’t beaten Tipp in a SINGLE fall sport this year. Tipp has beat Troy in Football, Boys and girls soccer, volleyball, boys and girls golf, girls tennis and cross country. Every. Single. Sport. Come again. Tipp’s football team is way better than Troy. 4 straight wins, way more accomplishments, I know it’s hard for you I’m sorry.
Technically Troy beat Tipp in girl's cross country, but your overall point does stand

Man some of us on here have been bashing Tipps stadium but shame on you Troy for that grass field. Sidney got there butts kicked and on Turf we would've got are butts kicked.

With the money running through that Troy school district, again shame on you for not having better grass. Hell there was a young band member saying how slippery the field was. All the MAC schools I've ever been too have way better grass then that.

I tried to post last night but Yappi wouldn't load. That was a microcosm of the Indians season, to get beat by Fairborn with :20 left to go was the poetic justice this season needed to end.

Man some of us on here have been bashing Tipps stadium but shame on you Troy for that grass field. Sidney got there butts kicked and on Turf we would've got are butts kicked.

With the money running through that Troy school district, again shame on you for not having better grass. Hell there was a young band member saying how slippery the field was. All the MAC schools I've ever been too have way better grass then that.
City owned stadium with private funding preventing the installation of field turf. Heard it may be coming though.

Per Joe Eitel late last night, looks like playoffs are set (unoffficially until Sunday). Here’s what I’m seeing so far

D2R8

#2 Troy vs #15 Stebbins
#4 Northmont vs #13 Fairborn
#5 Harrison vs #12 Sidney
#7 Lima Senior vs #10 Xenia
Piqua = OUT

D3R12

#2 Tipp vs #15 Western Brown
#4 Butler vs #13 Elida
West Carrollton = OUT
Greenville = OUT

Didn’t go as far as putting all other teams seeds on there, but you can scroll over to Joe Eitel to see. Would love to hear everyone’s initial thoughts on these matchups!

Per Joe Eitel late last night, looks like playoffs are set (unoffficially until Sunday). Here’s what I’m seeing so far

D2R8

#2 Troy vs #15 Stebbins
#4 Northmont vs #13 Fairborn
#5 Harrison vs #12 Sidney
#7 Lima Senior vs #10 Xenia
Piqua = OUT

D3R12

#2 Tipp vs #15 Western Brown
#4 Butler vs #13 Elida
West Carrollton = OUT
Greenville = OUT

Didn’t go as far as putting all other teams seeds on there, but you can scroll over to Joe Eitel to see. Would love to hear everyone’s initial thoughts on these matchups!
Top seeds win and move on to the next round. Elida could be a tough match up for Butler.

Sadly, this is what happens when the Mercer group controls the athletic fields turf program.

If the pairings stay true which I think they will, I think all the top seeds win. But I am concerned with Butler vs Elida. I agree with KMS that is an interesting match up. Plus I'm not sure what happened last night with Stebbins. I may end up at this game next Friday night.

I think Troy, Northmont roll to semi easy wins. I think Sidney can give Harrison some trouble for a while and I think Xenia vs Lima Sr could be an a weird match up that Lima Sr ends up winning. I think Tipp rolls Western Brown and I think Butler wins, but I think they will have to earn it.

Some thoughts...
Here's hoping Greenville hit rock bottom, and wash out the stink and at least be competitive again.
I always thought Troy took pride in their grass, but it's too good of a facility to not be hosting later round playoff games. Time for turf.
Piqua will be back. Good programs are allowed a bad season occasionally.

Some thoughts...
Here's hoping Greenville hit rock bottom, and wash out the stink and at least be competitive again.
I always thought Troy took pride in their grass, but it's too good of a facility to not be hosting later round playoff games. Time for turf.
Piqua will be back. Good programs are allowed a bad season occasionally.
Time for change at the top in Greenville. Never going to win games consistently trying to play the same type of offense as the rest of the league with lesser athletes.