Middletown Miracle.

Elder took every snap under Center. Before Ramsey went to the Spread. Centerville fans were obnoxious with three minutes to go and up by 14.

I forgot Elder lead most of this game up until the 4th quarter. That CV team was stacked, most notably with AJ Hawk and Mike Nugent.

I remember being there, was with my parents, grandparents, some aunts, uncles and cousins. And when Centerville scored to go up 42-28 everyone I was with said let's pack it up and get going. Me being just a little kid at the time basically demanded we stay because the game 'wasnt over yet.' We ended up staying and I got a big fat 'I told you so' in when all was said and done.

Growing up in Pennsylvania I was not used to seeing high school football teams throw the ball that much. NE PA was known for running the ball and very seldom relied on the passing game. It wasn't until we moved to Ohio in the mid 1980's that I took notice of the passing game especially in the GCL. In my opinion Elder and Moeller were the two best passing teams I had seen up to that point. I still think Elder with it's sophisticated passing and timing patterns is among the best. If it were not for the passing game, Elder does not win the "Middletown Miracle". The Elder QB Colin Carey was terrific in the last three minutes of that game. I counted at least 3 or 4 third and ten plays where he side stepped Centerville defenders to complete a pass. Not only was he impressive, but the entire offense knew exactly what to do in the last two and a half minutes not wasting any time to get to the line of scrimmage and run a play. I think Centerville was a little shell shocked after Elder tied it up with under a minute to play. That interception on Centerville's next to last possession was a real back breaker. One of the better games I have seen in 37 years. GBM

Koester was such an animal. Imagine trying to tackle a guy that size in the open field.

Couple things

I, and many others, left the game to beat the traffic. I listened to the game and was all the way to I-74 when the game ended. Incredible to not only tie it up, but win it in regulation!

Elder's announcer at the time, Andy McWilliams was awesome. His passion for the school and team comes through in his broadcast. I miss him doing the games.

Carey was a better QB than I remembered. His WR dropped a few very catchable balls in the 4th. Mezzger? had huge catches down the stretch.

Elder kicking the ball out of bounds late put Centerville on the 35. I think this good field position, and their stud kicker, is why they decided to throw the ball in the last minute when they were not a throwing team.

What an ending.

Last edited:
Couple things

I, and many others, left the game to beat the traffic. I listened to the game and was all the way to I-74 when the game ended. Incredible to not only tie it up, but win it in regulation!

Elder's announcer at the time, Andy MacWilliams was awesome. His passion for the school and team comes through in his broadcast. I miss him doing the games.

The backup TE, Metzger?, had HUGE catches when the starter went out. Carey was a better QB than I remembered. His WR dropped a few very catchable balls in the 4th.

Elder kicking the ball out of bounds late put Centerville on the 35. I think this good field position, and their stud kicker, is why they decided to throw the ball in the last minute when they were not a throwing team.

What an ending

The biggest play never mentioned. Elder Is down by 14 under 3 minutes and Carey throws a pass to tight end Wainscott on the CV sideline. It would have been 4th and 10 at midfield but AJ Hawk throws Wainscott into the CV bench for a 15 yd personal foul and an Elder first down. Wainscott is injured and replaced by Aaron Brown at tight end. Brown was the backup tight end.
One question- the final interception by Voelker for the winning touchdown- was that ball tipped by a defensive lineman.
I’ll never forget that game!

Couple things

Elder's announcer at the time, Andy McWilliams was awesome. His passion for the school and team comes through in his broadcast. I miss him doing the games.

Carey was a better QB than I remembered. His WR dropped a few very catchable balls in the 4th. Mezzger? had huge catches down the stretch.

What an ending.
That’s a good point.

The biggest play never mentioned. Elder Is down by 14 under 3 minutes and Carey throws a pass to tight end Wainscott on the CV sideline. It would have been 4th and 10 at midfield but AJ Hawk throws Wainscott into the CV bench for a 15 yd personal foul and an Elder first down. Wainscott is injured and replaced by Aaron Brown at tight end. Brown was the backup tight end.
One question- the final interception by Voelker for the winning touchdown- was that ball tipped by a defensive lineman.
I’ll never forget that game!
He gave a shout out to Elder on his show a few months ago. Pat McAfee was giving him crap for never winning a Title at CV.