Miami Valley League 2022-23

Congrats to Troy!

Piqua finishing 16-6 in the regular season I think was a huge over achievement, and I think they have a chance of winning a tournament game vs Springboro before getting beat by Trotwood.

Xenia loses in first round. After leading into middle of third quarter, same old same old. No adjustment even when the other guy makes changes.

Sidney v. VB was a strange game. First how did Butler ever beat Tipp? Then does Butler’s coach always use the hack a Shaquille strategy? They were only six or eight behind when he started the foul line parade. Does the team have some chemistry issues? Two players in particular had body language that screamed about problems. If they thought they were open and didn’t get the ball the head and shoulders dropped and they were slow getting back on d.

Sidney is back on track. Downs Butler. How far will they go?
If they win this Wednesday that's the end of the row, haha. Neither Monroe or the Jackets will hang with Centerville.

Nice win by Sidney. Leaving it all on the court. That 9-game losing streak wouldn't have been if Butler hadn't pulled out double OT win at Sidney, so Jackets avenged that, and last year tourney loss to Lebanon in round 1.

Was West Carrollton really that bad? Yikes!
MVL as a whole doesn't have any really good teams this year. Piqua & Troy had good seasons, but they won't compete with good D1 teams once they get to that point in the tourney. Tipp is decent for D2, but will face comparable opponents in every game going forward in the D2 tourney and could get taken out early. Pretty much every other team in the MVL is down right now so results like WCs aren't surprising.

MVL as a whole doesn't have any really good teams this year. Piqua & Troy had good seasons, but they won't compete with good D1 teams once they get to that point in the tourney. Tipp is decent for D2, but will face comparable opponents in every game going forward in the D2 tourney and could get taken out early. Pretty much every other team in the MVL is down right now so results like WCs aren't surprising.
The MVL teams struggle to beat school two and three times their size

The MVL teams struggle to beat school two and three times their size
That would be a good point, if MVL teams didn't also lose nonconference games like these:

Troy lost to Miami East
Butler lost to Northridge
Greenville lost to Arcanum

There's probably others but you get the point. Those schools figured out how to beat schools much bigger than themselves. My point is that the conference isn't a great basketball league this year. The best teams aren't as good as the best teams from comparable leagues in terms of school size.

That would be a good point, if MVL teams didn't also lose nonconference games like these:

Troy lost to Miami East

There's probably others but you get the point. Those schools figured out how to beat schools much bigger than themselves. My point is that the conference isn't a great basketball league this year. The best teams aren't as good as the best teams from comparable leagues in terms of school size.
Of course, here and there its happens. In the end the bigger school has the advantage over a larger period of time.

D-1
Sidney 51
Monroe 48

Sidney's gift for the win is they get to play #1 seed Centerville!
We'll take it, haha!

Nice note to go out on after the long losing streak. Now three wins in a row, and they were able to hold on late to both tourney wins. Played nice team ball both games.

Should be fun Friday regardless of the outcome. I'm looking forward to seeing Elks and I'm sure the kids are happy for the opportunity. Not many teams get chance to face two future Big Teners (Parks from St. Mary's going to OSU, Cupps going to IU) in the span of a month.

Sidney may well end up the last MVL team standing, whodathunk? Tipp's game against Dunbar is at 5:30 on Friday. That should be competitive. If they lose, Sidney will be last left, playing Cvlle at 7:30.

Troy lost to Miami East

OK, so what? Nobody said it was.

Piqua beat Newton and Graham and then beat Springboro.

Northmont is a bad DI team and they beat two smaller schools in the playoffs. They also beat Sidney Butler and Tipp but lost to WC. What does it all mean?

Bigger schools have advantage over smaller schools. Really simple.

Last edited:
Well, it was a little worse than I'd feared it'd be, but what can you say? Centerville looks like a state caliber team again, a completely different level from a 10-15 team. Cupps is the real deal, as is Powell. Glad I got to see them play.

Still a great run by the Jackets. Had lost nine in a row, was tied with Greenville at end of third quarter of last regular season game. Could have lost that, could have lost first tournament game and finished with 11 straight. Instead they beat Greenville by 10, beat Butler for the second time this year in first tourney game, and beat a similar Monroe team for a second tourney win. Great way to end the year and great final run for the seniors.

Tipp lost to Dunbar by 9, so MVL is done for the year. Tipp and Sidney made it the furthest, no one else made it beyond second round.

Congrats to Tipp, Troy and Piqua on really nice seasons, and to West Carrollton for finishing strong and winning Valley division.

Also, congrats to Piqua's DreSean Roberts, who I saw was MVL POY. Great season and career by him.

OK, so what? Nobody said it was.

Piqua beat Newton and Graham and then beat Springboro.

Northmont is a bad DI team and they beat two smaller schools in the playoffs. They also beat Sidney Butler and Tipp but lost to WC. What does it all mean?

Bigger schools have advantage over smaller schools. Really simple.
You responded to my first post, which was in response to West Carrollton's 30 point loss to Fairmont in the tournament. I was informing them that the MVL wasn't a great boys basketball league overall this season, as maybe they were under the impression the Valley division champ might put up a better fight against a .500 GWOC team. While bigger schools generally have the advantage, teams in the upper half of the MVL should be more competitive in a better year for the conference.

You responded to my first post, which was in response to West Carrollton's 30 point loss to Fairmont in the tournament. I was informing them that the MVL wasn't a great boys basketball league overall this season, as maybe they were under the impression the Valley division champ might put up a better fight against a .500 GWOC team. While bigger schools generally have the advantage, teams in the upper half of the MVL should be more competitive in a better year for the conference.
And thats why I told you that they dont compete well against bigger schools. I also said no one claimed they were a great basketball league.