Mentor AD Resigns - Breaking News

polar_purple

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19005596&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21849&rfi=6

Mentor High School athletic director Dale Garris has resigned, effective Monday. His resignation follows the Cardinals' boys soccer team's forfeit of a Division I state soccer semifinal earlier in the week and a Franklin County Common Pleas Court ruling against Mentor's attempt to have the Ohio High School Athletic Association's decision overturned. Garris said his resignation was not because of the OHSAA's ruling. "We thought we had read the rule correctly," he said. "My resignation had to do with the relationship with soccer parents who I thought went overboard in the way they treated me at a meeting on Tuesday. They were using foul language in front of their children. ... It was very a poor situation."

Ouch. It seems a bit of an overreaction on everyone's part. The parents were obviously out of control - but perhaps not out of character. He could/should have just told them to pound sand. Yeah, he made a mistake - but not one that should cost him his job. One has to wonder if there's a little more to it - particularly given Hoynes' lack of a statement of support.

Do you buy it? Don't know anything about Mentor but I find it hard to believe that it had nothing to do with what happened in the forfeit.

that's a shame. parents these days react in such a negative manner around soccer. Tons of times, it seems like the parent gets more worked up about their child not playing then the actualy child playing. parents are supposed to be the ones that support the team and have a positive influence. also when a team doesn't get a call go their way, especially in hs soccer, the parents are rude and obnonxious towards the referee, which IMO being a referee is one of the toughest jobs ive ever been through. It makes the game less enjoyable with parents b1tching about soccer, when it's the kids game, let them play, but it just doesn't happen.

Excuse me folks but you have a group of kids who busted their butts all summer in conditioning. You had a group of kids who went through two a days and tryouts. Do you remember how hot it was this past August!

You had a group of seniors who were obviously very talented who had played freshmen and JV soccer preparing for a chance to play in a state championship game.

You had a team that went through the whole season and had a great record. You had a team that earned their way to the state semifinals. All of it is wasted because the AD may have misread the rules and you guys complain about the kids and parents!

Well If I were a Mentor supporter I would say good riddance! My gosh this guy deserved whatever abuse he got! He should have been fired. How did you expect the parents to act? Sorry, but this lets have a group hug stuff is pitiful.

You know what's sad about all this? The kids have been let down by the adults. It starts with OHSAA bureaucrats who evidently can't frame a simple rule in plain English. Then you have an AD who doesn't practice due diligence in restoring players to the team and then you have the little tattle tales from MJ squealing on Mentor. I'll give the parents of the soccer team a break for their bad behavior. Don't you think they had a reason to be mad. But what's the excuse for the rest of the nitwits involved here?

Where I work, if you have a MAJOR screw-up, your job is on the line. That's how it works in the real world. If the AD made a mistake and let those kids play when they were not eligible, then he made a BIG mistake and he should resign.

I guess having followed Fairfields amazing run to the state title game last year I understand very well how much work and effort goes into getting that far. To have it taken away because the powers that be don't understand the rules is unforgivable. They are paid and hold the job because they are supposed to understand the rules.

Excuse me folks but you have a group of kids who busted their butts all summer in conditioning. You had a group of kids who went through two a days and tryouts. Do you remember how hot it was this past August!

You had a group of seniors who were obviously very talented who had played freshmen and JV soccer preparing for a chance to play in a state championship game.

You had a team that went through the whole season and had a great record. You had a team that earned their way to the state semifinals. All of it is wasted because the AD may have misread the rules and you guys complain about the kids and parents!

Well If I were a Mentor supporter I would say good riddance! My gosh this guy deserved whatever abuse he got! He should have been fired. How did you expect the parents to act? Sorry, but this lets have a group hug stuff is pitiful.

You know what's sad about all this? The kids have been let down by the adults. It starts with OHSAA bureaucrats who evidently can't frame a simple rule in plain English. Then you have an AD who doesn't practice due diligence in restoring players to the team and then you have the little tattle tales from MJ squealing on Mentor. I'll give the parents of the soccer team a break for their bad behavior. Don't you think they had a reason to be mad. But what's the excuse for the rest of the nitwits involved here?

Where I work, if you have a MAJOR screw-up, your job is on the line. That's how it works in the real world. If the AD made a mistake and let those kids play when they were not eligible, then he made a BIG mistake and he should resign.

I guess having followed Fairfields amazing run to the state title game last year I understand very well how much work and effort goes into getting that far. To have it taken away because the powers that be don't understand the rules is unforgivable. They are paid and hold the job because they are supposed to understand the rules.

maybe if those "hardworking" players had put a little more effort into not being academically ineligible (i mean seriously, it is not hard to stay eligible) they could have prevented all of this...parents came blame the AD all they want but the team (coach, seniors, captains etc) needs to take some responsibility, they need to ensure their players stay eligible

maybe if those "hardworking" players had put a little more effort into not being academically ineligible (i mean seriously, it is not hard to stay eligible) they could have prevented all of this...parents came blame the AD all they want but the team (coach, seniors, captains etc) needs to take some responsibility, they need to ensure their players stay eligible

Yeah, the coaches need to keep an eye on the grades, but this goes back to the parents. They are the ones who should ensure their athletes keep their grades up. The coaches are the backup. The parents of the eligible kids are doing their job at least to a minimum acceptable level.

There is plenty of blame to go around here: the student athletes, their parents, the coaches and the AD. Despite what others have said, the vast majority of all the other schools in OHSSA manage to follow the rules. Don't blame OHSSA for enforcing them. The judge made the right call too.

However, the AD's job is to make sure the rules are followed and he is paid to do so. If he screws up bad enough to cost one of his teams a shot a Final Four and a possible championship, then he should go. The honorable thing to do is resign; if he hadn't, he should have been fired.

There's fault both ways so neither side has the right to rip someone apart in meetings and to use vulgarity in front of your kids in a public forum is in poor taste and is setting a bad example for your children. If you spent the time helping your kid pass the MINIMUM required number of classes that you did thinking up your tirade and blowing off steam at the AD, then your team might be playing in the state finals right now.

Update:

State high school boys soccer: Division I final: Jackson ends wild week with title shot - Canton Repository (11/09/07)

(Jackson Athletic Director, Terry) Peterson called OHSAA late Tuesday morning informing them about a possible infraction. He had been tipped off by a Jackson parent. He initially tried to contact Mentor, which was out of school due to election day. “I didn’t really anticipate this occurring,” Peterson said.

I have no idea who the parent was, but they were obviously alert to the situaton. The question is - did someone alert them (i.e. from Mentor)?

Also just found out that the two Mentor kids in question were telling our players that this was their first game.

In addition, Mentor fans (parents?) up in the stands were saying the same thing to our fans (parents?).

Had the Mentor folks just kept their mouths shut - Jackson may never have noticed.