Long term scheduling?

aztecjim

Always been curious as to why college football schedules games 10+ years in advance but basketball can barely put schedule together a month before the season starts. For instance, one of my favorite schools, San Diego State does NOT have a complete basketball schedule as of 9/14 but they do have football games on the docket for 2034.

Good question. Ohio recently announced football games with West Virginia in 2025, 2027 and 2029 but we still have a couple OOC games to fill for basketball this year. I do know that Ohio is having problems getting major programs to schedule them. I would love to see SDSU on the schedule this year.

Always been curious as to why college football schedules games 10+ years in advance but basketball can barely put schedule together a month before the season starts. For instance, one of my favorite schools, San Diego State does NOT have a complete basketball schedule as of 9/14 but they do have football games on the docket for 2034.
Everyone has a chance to get into the NCAA basketball tourney, via their league tourney, so there is really no penalty for scheduling some tough non-league games and taking some losses.

To make the FBS playoffs pretty much requires zero to one loss and any loss pretty much needs to happen early, so a ton of loss-mitigating strategy goes into football scheduling.

Everyone has a chance to get into the NCAA basketball tourney, via their league tourney, so there is really no penalty for scheduling some tough non-league games and taking some losses.

To make the FBS playoffs pretty much requires zero to one loss and any loss pretty much needs to happen early, so a ton of loss-mitigating strategy goes into football scheduling.
I'm not talking about strength of schedule, I am talking about making a schedule period. SDSU has a history of playing a boring schedule. Usually one or two name schools(this year Michigan and Georgetown with a possible game vs. USC), maybe a SWAC or Southland school (this year UT-Arlington) and the rest is California schools. But, as of 9/20 they still have one non-conference game to schedule. The season starts in seven weeks and you still don't have a complete schedule?

From the football perspective, it's about recruiting and the money exchange. A common practice for the major schools is to pay cupcakes to come in and take a beatdown. Why this is done in 2021 is beyond me. The mid majors of course like it because they really need the money for their athletic departments to function, plus they can use it as a recruiting tool. I'm sure Akron's coaches have been telling their recruits they get to play in the horseshoe. The big schools get an easy win and they have all kinds of money to spend on this kind of stuff.
I think one thing the pandemic taught us is that schedules can be put together pretty quick. If you're not attached to a TV schedule, a game can be set up in weeks.

Did you hear about Akron's schedule? Tennessee was supposed to play Army as part of a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient convention weekend. Tennessee bailed and will now play Akron.
Also people seemed to think that when OU and UT join the SEC that the powderpuff weekend will be scrapped. Not a chance. The SEC will still likely schedule eight conference games, two easy home games, one "name" school (likely at home) and a FCS school. Maybe they will dig up more schools that didn't have football until eight years.

Last edited: