Leaders after week 5

Empty CUP

At the braves game the other night we were discussing this weird season. So I thought I would do one of my breakdowns, to see where we are.

Most teams, probably 80% have played 6 games while some have played 5, while a few have played 7 or 8. Though a couple, have for inexplicable reasons, played just 3. But overall, we are over 1/3 of the way through the regular season. Hard to believe.

There are 5 perfect record teams in the 9 leagues that really make up SW Ohio. CHL, ECC, GMC, GGCL, GCL-coed, SWOC (swan song season...) SWBL, GWOC and MVC;
Milford 6-0-0
Oak Hills 6-0-0
Waynesville 6-0-0
MND 3-0-0
Seaton 3-0-0

And 5 additional undefeated teams
Centerville 6-0-2
Springboro 6-0-1
Ross 4-0-2
Taylor 4-0-2
Wyoming 4-0-1

4 winless teams. (Ursuline can thank the hapless Kings girls for saving them from this list)
Hamilton 0-6-0
Winton woods 0-4-0
Carroll 0-4-2
Springfield 0-3-0

Conference teams % with a winning record (over .500)
MVC 80%
SWBL 80%
CHL 75%
GGCL 60%
ECC 50%
GWOC 38%
GMC 20%
SWOC 20%
GCL-coed 0% (I can't believe how far the private schools have fallen)

Top per conference player points ranked by total points - 4 Seniors, 4 Juniors and 1 Sophomore. I've included the number of quality opponents they have played.

SWBL - Jr. Samantha Erbach / 6-0-0 Waynesville - 34 points - 15 goals - 4 assist (5 of 6 games played against teams .500 or better)
CHL - Sr. Lauren Heglin / 3-4-0 Deer Park - 29 points - 13 goals - 3 assist (3 of 7 games played against teams .500 or better)
ECC - Jr. Ana Manning / 6-0-0 Milford - 25 Points - 11 goals - 3 assist (2 of 6 games against teams .500 or better)
GMC - Sr. Erykah Corrnet / 6-0-0 Oak Hills - 20 points - 7 goals - 6 assist (2 of 6 games played against teams .500 or better)
GWOC - Sr. Megan Gregory / 2-2-1 Miamisburg - 17 Points - 8 goals - 1 assist (3 of 5 games played against teams .500 or better)
MVC - Jr. Piper Farris / 4-1-0 CCD - 14 Points - 6 goals - 2 assist (2 of 5 games played against teams .500 or better)
GGCL - Jr. Kenzie Carle / 3-0-0 Seton - 12 points - 6 goals - 0 assist (0 of 3 games played against teams .500 or better)
SWOC - Sr. Ashlyn Rook / 4-0-2 Ross - 11 points - 5 goals - 1 assist (4 of 6 games played against teams .500 or better)
GCL-coed - So. Jordan Wheatley / 2-3-0 McNick - 10 points - 5 goals - 0 assist (4 of 5 games against teams .500 or better)

At the braves game the other night we were discussing this weird season. So I thought I would do one of my breakdowns, to see where we are.

Most teams, probably 80% have played 6 games while some have played 5, while a few have played 7 or 8. Though a couple, have for inexplicable reasons, played just 3. But overall, we are over 1/3 of the way through the regular season. Hard to believe.

There are 5 perfect record teams in the 9 leagues that really make up SW Ohio. CHL, ECC, GMC, GGCL, GCL-coed, SWOC (swan song season...) SWBL, GWOC and MVC;
Milford 6-0-0
Oak Hills 6-0-0
Waynesville 6-0-0
MND 3-0-0
Seaton 3-0-0

And 5 additional undefeated teams
Centerville 6-0-2
Springboro 6-0-1
Ross 4-0-2
Taylor 4-0-2
Wyoming 4-0-1

4 winless teams. (Ursuline can thank the hapless Kings girls for saving them from this list)
Hamilton 0-6-0
Winton woods 0-4-0
Carroll 0-4-2
Springfield 0-3-0

Conference teams % with a winning record (over .500)
MVC 80%
SWBL 80%
CHL 75%
GGCL 60%
ECC 50%
GWOC 38%
GMC 20%
SWOC 20%
GCL-coed 0% (I can't believe how far the private schools have fallen)

Top per conference player points ranked by total points - 4 Seniors, 4 Juniors and 1 Sophomore. I've included the number of quality opponents they have played.

SWBL - Jr. Samantha Erbach / 6-0-0 Waynesville - 34 points - 15 goals - 4 assist (5 of 6 games played against teams .500 or better)
CHL - Sr. Lauren Heglin / 3-4-0 Deer Park - 29 points - 13 goals - 3 assist (3 of 7 games played against teams .500 or better)
ECC - Jr. Ana Manning / 6-0-0 Milford - 25 Points - 11 goals - 3 assist (2 of 6 games against teams .500 or better)
GMC - Sr. Erykah Corrnet / 6-0-0 Oak Hills - 20 points - 7 goals - 6 assist (2 of 6 games played against teams .500 or better)
GWOC - Sr. Megan Gregory / 2-2-1 Miamisburg - 17 Points - 8 goals - 1 assist (3 of 5 games played against teams .500 or better)
MVC - Jr. Piper Farris / 4-1-0 CCD - 14 Points - 6 goals - 2 assist (2 of 5 games played against teams .500 or better)
GGCL - Jr. Kenzie Carle / 3-0-0 Seton - 12 points - 6 goals - 0 assist (0 of 3 games played against teams .500 or better)
SWOC - Sr. Ashlyn Rook / 4-0-2 Ross - 11 points - 5 goals - 1 assist (4 of 6 games played against teams .500 or better)
GCL-coed - So. Jordan Wheatley / 2-3-0 McNick - 10 points - 5 goals - 0 assist (4 of 5 games against teams .500 or better)
Hey EC, why the pot shots at private schools? You’re a public school advocate b/c your kids roughed it at IH? Nice try. I think GGCL with MND, Seton and SUA still clear top dog conference. Tell me I’m wrong.

It's not intentional. I have often said MND is the best in the area. Always been a big CCD and Summit fan same with McNick, and usually pick Alter to win most games and travel far into the playoffs. And if you follow a long, I'm actually harder on schools like Sycamore and Kings and the GMC as a whole that private schools. Am I sold on SUA? No. Am I sold on perfect record Seton that has 3 wins against 3 teams with a combined 3 wins? No. But they have talent with most of the top west side club players choosing to go there. I will readily admit I'm a homer for the Braves, but even with them I "try" and call it like I see it. I do sway more Eastside since I have so many patients that live there. But follow TFA as of late and have learned to enjoy some West side soccer and that includes Seton and Oak Hills. Heck I drove to Middletown last year to watch them play (an interesting night actually). And FYI my youngest goes to private school still, as did one of my others. The only issue I have with private schools especially those in the GGCL is the elitest nature of nearly always thinking Freshman are not good enough and kowtowing to blowhard parents of upperclassmen. My youngest was not good enough as a freshman, not good enough now. Just the reality of it. It's too bad for you and others that I didn't have a son to play football so I could pester that forum with my ramblings. I'm sure I would have lots to say and research and would probably pick on underperforming big Moe much to the dismay of the multitude of supercilious Montgomery rd. parents. (The normal parents at Moeller will tell you the same thing, I hear it from them every day....).

*Edit - Does it not surprise you that with a third of the season done nobody in the GCL-coed has a winning record? Fenwick, Alter, Badin, McNick, Carroll? Those are state championship contending schools that always run or ran deep into the playoffs. Maybe that was a harsh take but I don't think so. the 6 teams have a combined 7 wins. That is crazy to me.

Last edited:
Thanks, EC, that’s a pretty good/thoughtful/fulsome response from you, even less patronizing/condescending than usual. But put aside the smaller school lean/bias (sorry 5x26, but let’s see it against the Big Leagues), and just acknowledge the facts — GGCL is the most stacked and challenging league in the area. I won’t even mention the academic merits, even though I know all you crazy club soccer dads/moms could afford it if you reshuffled your priorities . . . .

Thanks, EC, that’s a pretty good/thoughtful/fulsome response from you, even less patronizing/condescending than usual. But put aside the smaller school lean/bias (sorry 5x26, but let’s see it against the Big Leagues), and just acknowledge the facts — GGCL is the most stacked and challenging league in the area. I won’t even mention the academic merits, even though I know all you crazy club soccer dads/moms could afford it if you reshuffled your priorities . . . .
Wow, I see I touched a nerve.

Academic merits? SUA has the highest ACT scores of the 3 better GGCL soccer schools that you list (MND, Seton and SUA) with a 29. So yes that's pretty solid. Problem is that's the same as little D3 Mariemont. Hmmm....Maybe that's a one off? Nope, D3 Public school Madeira has a 29 as well. Wait, what about D2 Public school Indian Hill you ask? Yeah that non private school musters a 30, so does D2 Public Wyoming.....Yikes better than any of the GGCL schools you listed. D1 State Champ MND averages a 27 ACT the same as D3 State champ Public school Waynesville and GGCL Seton a 26 the same as D2 Public school Taylor. So much for that absurd argument. What I've found with most of the private schools what you are doing is paying for more homework and the same test scores. Seven Hills is the gold standard in the area. In case you're wondering with a 31. maybe you can reshuffle some things and pay their tuition it's only 2-3x the GGCL schools or better you you could sell your house and move to Fairfax to enroll at Mariemont for free and save some coin....

Acknowledge the facts of the D2 or D3's against the "big" schools? "Lets see them do it vs Big leagues?" You realize Summit with 133 girls just beat your GGCL "big boy" SUA with 475 girls right? Springboro is one of the top D1 programs in the state 1st place in the GWOC, Undefeated and state top 10 ranked, Beat Creek by 3 (something MND could not do) and just tied Bellbrook the smallest D1 in the region who also beat Lebanon and Bellbrook just by happenstance lost to "little" D2 Waynesville.

APod an Indian Hill great, one of the top scorers in the state in HS a D2 high school player just broke Arkansas's scoring record last night. You know, top ranked SEC Arkansas led scoring in the city while she was here. D3 Lawson Renie is playing at Tennessee played more minutes than anyone else at UT. Led scoring in the city while she was here. D3 Laney Huber has been phenomenal at UD in the A10. All Freshman team. All A10 Tournament team, All Conference, All A10 Commissioners 3x. Really makes me wonder how those small school girls who score a lot do it? what do all those girls have in common. They all had over 200 lifetime points 2 of the 3 won state titles and all played "crazy club soccer". He can speak for himself but I don't think 5x26 has anything to be sorry for.

Look at my list of lifetime points leaders in the area. a D2 girl is at the top, Erabach. Along with her on that list is D1 Gregory. They played head this year. Gregory scored 2 on GMC 1 loss conference leader "big" D1 school Oak Hills. Gregory scored 0 against D2 Waynesville. Another lifetime points leader and clearly great player D1 State Champ GGCL Kohl's and Xavier commit and Erabach Lifetime points leader also Xavier Commit played 1 team in common last year. D1 Miamisburg. Kohl's had 1 goal, Erbach had 3. That's no slam on Kohl's she was the Ohio Gatorade player of the year and super talented. Who scored the winning goal against "big" school D1 GGCL SUA for little D2 should be D3 small school Summit? Another girl on my lifetime points leader scoring list Sievering.

Moral of the story, great players do great things regardless. Someone's head is in the sand here but I don't think it's 4runners

I'm not sure how to take that. But I'll accept it and let her club and high school results speak for themselves. I'm proud of her. People can think what they want. Like you everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you think she's not good just because she's at a small school, well you're probably not alone.

I'm not sure how to take that. But I'll accept it and let her club and high school results speak for themselves. I'm proud of her. People can think what they want. Like you everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you think she's not good just because she's at a small school, well you're probably not alone.
Anyone who thinks your kid isn’t good simply knows nothing about the sport. Talk about head in the sand.