Lakota West

What.a.game. The West pass defense was as good as advertised, but scheme was the reason for the TD. Wish X would have gone to the run earlier, they had zero problem, and the line was excellent both in run and pass, sacks were coverage sacks.

What.a.game. The West pass defense was as good as advertised, but scheme was the reason for the TD. Wish X would have gone to the run earlier, they had zero problem, and the line was excellent both in run and pass, sacks were coverage sacks.
Seems like this was probably true— not sure, because it was Tim Bray saying that everyone was covered— not Vince Suriano— and I don’t trust Bray’s opinion...

I felt like, after several games of watching Brogan rapidly and proficiently step through progressions (with all of the AMPLE time that the offensive line has been giving him), he was locking in on one receiver or another tonight (probably Clifford, more than likely— he’s not used to not completing a pass to him in the 1st quarter), and then throwing the ball into double, and even triple coverage (one time, he threw it to a guy with FOUR LW guys around him)— there is NO WAY, if Brogan is throwing it to a guy with 3 defenders surrounding him, that SOMEBODY else is NOT OPEN... I just don’t think he was seeing the field very well, and running through progressions as he HAS been earlier this season... (nerves maybe?)— it wasn’t that he didn’t have time—yeah, they got to him a few times—but, just like other games this year, he used his agility to buy more than enough time to find somebody open— it‘s just that, in this game, he either NEVER saw who was open, or he tried to force it to a preferred receiver, who was NOT open (oh, and receivers DROPPED four balls that hit them in the hands)...

Anyone else have a flashback to the 2005 playoff against Colerain? Great defensive struggle, and X hits Ashley on a great pattern and play design on the same side of the field. Just hit me today

Anyone else have a flashback to the 2005 playoff against Colerain? Great defensive struggle, and X hits Ashley on a great pattern and play design on the same side of the field. Just hit me today

Actually, that is exactly what I thought about when we tried the exact same play (wheel route out of the backfield) and Bolden and West had it sniffed out all the way (double coverage/interception).

Actually, that is exactly what I thought about when we tried the exact same play (wheel route out of the backfield) and Bolden and West had it sniffed out all the way (double coverage/interception).
Yeah, though I think Kellom was obviously interfered with before the tip.

Reactions: 4GX
Yeah, though I think Kellom was obviously interfered with before the tip.
I was watching with several others— and WE all thought the exact same thing— not surprised it wasn’t called, with everything else happening on that play...

I also thought that West ran into X’s punt returner after he called fair catch on one of the punts in the first half, and bumped him out of the way, preventing him from catching it— but no call— that was an obvious one, that is NOT hard to see or call— I have no idea why X’s sideline wasn’t screaming about that one— it cost X ~15 yards, as the ball then bounced and rolled back to about the ~10-yard line...

Speaking of which, how has the return man on punts been decided? I have no idea why X is using the punt returner they are using— he doesn’t field most of the punts (including ones that he has a clear opportunity for)... he let one bounce that he had ALL DAY to field (costing X another 15 yards of field position, late in the game)— it is the single biggest issue I see in X’s special teams— and might rival their defensive secondary for the biggest concern on this team.

I was watching with several others— and WE all thought the exact same thing— not surprised it wasn’t called, with everything else happening on that play...

I also thought that West ran into X’s punt returner after he called fair catch on one of the punts in the first half, and bumped him out of the way, preventing him from catching it— but no call— that was an obvious one, that is NOT hard to see or call— I have no idea why X’s sideline wasn’t screaming about that one— it cost X ~15 yards, as the ball then bounced and rolled back to about the ~10-yard line...

Speaking of which, how has the return man on punts been decided? I have no idea why X is using the punt returner they are using— he doesn’t field most of the punts (including ones that he has a clear opportunity for)... he let one bounce that he had ALL DAY to field (costing X another 15 yards of field position, late in the game)— it is the single biggest issue I see in X’s special teams— and might rival their defensive secondary for the biggest concern on this team.
He was tentative on fielding the ball last Friday but I haven't seen him let many go in other games. Specht even called Him out in film for fielding the ball and not letting it bounce.

StX gives up 50 to 80 yards a game on not catching the punts. They have to get this cleaned up or it will come back to haunt them

He was tentative on fielding the ball last Friday but I haven't seen him let many go in other games. Specht even called Him out in film for fielding the ball and not letting it bounce.
I am mystified at that comment— but Specht watches the film of it all... He knows best... but what I’ve noticed wasn’t just the LW game... I guess I’m still waiting for the second coming of Danny Milligan— an extremely high bar, I know...

Agree on n punts. Dad who was there said his son said Gabe lost the one in the lights from the parking lot, a car down there had brights on. on the bump, Specht did scream at the ref the that he has to have space to catch. Ref screamed he does not. I'm not sure if ref is giving rules interpretation or just felt the bump didn't interfere, which I thought it did.

Agree on n punts. Dad who was there said his son said Gabe lost the one in the lights from the parking lot, a car down there had brights on. on the bump, Specht did scream at the ref the that he has to have space to catch. Ref screamed he does not. I'm not sure if ref is giving rules interpretation or just felt the bump didn't interfere, which I thought it did.
Crazy— you wouldn’t think that there is any room for question about jostling a punt receiver (ESPECIALLY after he’s signalled for a fair catch) BEFORE the ball comes down, as to whether that is a penalty or not— hence my comment that it is “not hard to see or call”...

Crazy— you wouldn’t think that there is any room for question about jostling a punt receiver (ESPECIALLY after he’s signalled for a fair catch) BEFORE the ball comes down, as to whether that is a penalty or not— hence my comment that it is “not hard to see or call”...
EASY FIX: put two returners back there....

EASY FIX: put two returners back there....
It seems to me X never really plays for the return with punts, they are almost rushing 10 it seems every time. This may not be a bad strategy at the HS level actually. Punt returns seem to be all or nothing when fielded, and very few HS teams actually have good reliable punters, or even punt teams. Put the rush on, and maybe you get a block, or at least rush the punter into a mistake. St X seems to block punts far more consistently than other HS teams. I'd rather take my chances on a huge play (block), or the punter not hitting one well under pressure (would rather see a 20 yard shank than a 35 -40 yard punt with a fair catch.

I do agree that Gabe may not be the solution back there though, he just does not seem to have the confidence in his decision making to do it.

Interesting insight this week from coach Specht in the St X Coaches Corner Podcast at the 17 minute mark. He describes the final TD pass as originally being an idea of a corner route suggested by McCaughey. He then goes on to describe the play some and how the other receivers sold their routes so well in order to get the defense to bite and get Clifford open in the back of the end zone. I thought it was pretty neat hearing the intricacies of a play a lot of us just take for granted as spectators.

It seems to me X never really plays for the return with punts, they are almost rushing 10 it seems every time. This may not be a bad strategy at the HS level actually. Punt returns seem to be all or nothing when fielded, and very few HS teams actually have good reliable punters, or even punt teams. Put the rush on, and maybe you get a block, or at least rush the punter into a mistake. St X seems to block punts far more consistently than other HS teams. I'd rather take my chances on a huge play (block), or the punter not hitting one well under pressure (would rather see a 20 yard shank than a 35 -40 yard punt with a fair catch.

I do agree that Gabe may not be the solution back there though, he just does not seem to have the confidence in his decision making to do it.
With 2 weeks left in the season I doubt if we will see any personnel changes. At this point with hopefully 2 games left in the season Specht will probably ride the horse that got him there. Vrsanksy returned punts some last year but there were several high drama moments he didnt fumble any but he definitely made everyones pucker factor go up. I definitely agree that It would be great if we could get at least the fair catch to avoid the bonus yardage off of the roll.

With 2 weeks left in the season I doubt if we will see any personnel changes. At this point with hopefully 2 games left in the season Specht will probably ride the horse that got him there. Vrsanksy returned punts some last year but there were several high drama moments he didnt fumble any but he definitely made everyones pucker factor go up. I definitely agree that It would be great if we could get at least the fair catch to avoid the bonus yardage off of the roll.
Luke is a hockey player returning punts....lol. I dont believe fair catching is in his DNA.
But, having Terrell back there and/or Cliff would make things awfully interesting....we shall see

Luke is a hockey player returning punts....lol. I dont believe fair catching is in his DNA.
But, having Terrell back there and/or Cliff would make things awfully interesting....we shall see
I thought about Cliff back there, but I think the propensity for punt returners to take big hits and incur other potential injuries keeps them from doing it. I have definitely noticed teams not kicking off to him this year.

Since I'm kind of a junkie, I went back and watched this game again.

The first thing I noticed was that with the exception of 3-4 plays, X was running the ball almost at will against that defense, even when they were not dropping 7, and X was in the I- formation, with major success on the inside zone plays. The two really glaring exceptions to this were the two plays inside the 5 late in the game, but both were runs designed to go outside of the box. LW read the first to Kellom because X had run it several times with big success on that drive, and it was predictable, a counter would have been deadly there. The second, the DE or OLB made a great play crashing upfield and forcing Vrsansky back in. Bottom line is that the LW defense can be run on, and I think Cov went away from it when he was trying to deliver knockout punches.

The offense left a ton on the table through the pass game. Not sure what happened to Vrsansky against LW and SHS catching the ball, he had been pretty surehanded all year.

The lack of time that X had a pass catching TE on the field through the year was really evident. There were several times Klare was open, and was missed, including a missed touchdown, and the underneath stuff could have been exploited much more, and I think it may have just been because there was not that chemistry developed at that point. His usage seemed to really progress over the next two games.

More than anytime all season, the QB seemed to lock on to receivers in that game, especially when McFarlin was the first read. The goal line miss to him was a TD if thrown a foot lower, but Patterson had his man beaten by a yard and was missed. The chemistry with McFarlin is there, QB really likes him on third downs, and you could see how in sync they were in the championship game as well. He could have a monster season next year.

Two notes on defense- the db's didn't give up a thing. Sure, LW was terrible on offense, but they were on it. Other note is that on several third downs, Lyons went to the inside backer spot, and Devine went outside. Since he is such a playmaker, I wonder if Lyons is the answer in the middle next year. He was a complete menace late in the year.

Looking back on this game again, it should never have been this close, and if they match up next season, I don't think it will be.