Jones named Big Ten player of the year

CinciSportsNut

Michigan State junior linebacker Greg Jones, a former Moeller standout, was named the Big Ten defensive player of the year this week.

Jones leads the Big Ten and ranks second in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision with 141 tackles as of Monday. The career-best 141 tackles rank as the eighth-best single season total in Michigan State history, according to the Michigan State Web site.

Jones is the first Michigan State player to earn conference defensive player of the year honors since the award started in 1982.

“Greg Jones possesses all of the tools, the tangibles and intangibles, that make him a special player,” Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio told the school Web site. “He’s an extremely tenacious and instinctive player.”

Jones was selected as the Big Ten preseason defensive player of the year in July. He has started 32 of 38 career games, including 26 consecutive starting assignments, according to the school Web site.

“I’m probably proudest of my consistency,” Jones told the school Web site. “I really wanted to remain consistent throughout the season. I know I had a couple of games where I didn’t reach double digits (in tackles), but in those games, the team played better and that’s most important. I want to play well each and every week, and I want to help those guys around me play better as well.”