John brown tournament

John was the long time head coach at Mount Vernon among many other things within central Ohio wrestling.
A fierce competitor as far as coaching and fighting for his kids. One area coach recalls the two going toe-to-toe in dual meets and tournaments, but whenever an opportunity would arise to better one's self, be it coaching, rules, techniques, Junior Olympics, etc., John would always invite and encourage attendance - even though he was an opposing coach. Truly a great man.

If I have the story correct, he was visiting family at the Ohio/WV border and was involved in a fatal accident. A true loss to his family (wife and daughters), the Mount Vernon community, the Central District & State wrestling communities.

Just a great guy.

EDIT: Whoops - quoted the wrong post. Should have quoted @Power house

That's a top notch facility that Mt. Vernon has. Looks like Coffman ran away with this one, I think last year Dover, Dalton and Pleasant had some state placers wrestling in this one.

Congrats Dublin Coffman, keep it rolling another year!!!

Why didn't Butcher from Westerville North wrestle?

Last edited:
A fierce competitor as far as coaching and fighting for his kids. One area coach recalls the two going toe-to-toe in dual meets and tournaments, but whenever an opportunity would arise to better one's self, be it coaching, rules, techniques, Junior Olympics, etc., John would always invite and encourage attendance - even though he was an opposing coach. Truly a great man.

If I have the story correct, he was visiting family at the Ohio/WV border and was involved in a fatal accident. A true loss to his family (wife and daughters), the Mount Vernon community, the Central District & State wrestling communities.

Just a great guy.

EDIT: Whoops - quoted the wrong post. Should have quoted @Power house

Coach Brown was a great person. He would always talk to me about my kids and give me words of encouragement and was always very positive. One of my kids and one of his top wrestlers would always meet for top honors in OCC, Sectional, District, State, and even Super 32 and coach Brown always had good things to say about my kid, I always enjoyed talking to him. From the biddy, M.S. H.S and other tourneys he was always in attendance. He was a down to earth guy who did so many good things for wrestling and for Mt. Vernon/Central District.

Last edited: