Ig

4GX

Chicken Little and the “SKY IS FALLING” Alumni crowd have left Montgomery Road and headed ~250 miles north on I-71 to downtown Cleveland— the below is not unrepresentative of comments that Ig alums are (NOW) making on various threads about their head football coach who once (not that many years ago— e.g.- 2016) was infallible:

”That said, football program has regressed to the point where I don’t know if it will ever come back under Chuck Kyle. Mediocre to above average position players with ZERO playmakers. The kids out there are doing their best, and I don’t blame them. I blame the coaching staff. They are simply not attracting the same kids to the program that they were 10- 25 years ago. All respect to Chuck Kyle, but a new head coach from the outside- like a Rick Finnoti type candidate is needed to get the program back on track.”

Rumor has it that Ig alums are trying to convince Urban Meyer to come out of (sportscasting) retirement and return to Jesuit HS football coaching, to return Ig to its former glory... would Pope Urban II be able to pull off that seemingly miraculous feat?

(And if so, will Pope Urban II issue a Papal Bull to ensure that “Chico” is still sainted as St. Chuck of Cleveland, as previously scheduled?)

Yeah, they were like that a little before the 2016 finals loss, I mean it's really tough when you haven't won a state title in 9 years, and only appeared in one other final since then, lol.

With high standards come high expectations. The coaches set the goals, not the fans or alumni. The state title is the goal.

And those Ignatius "fans" or whatever calling for Kyle to step down are usually the younger type. Finally, i don't think too many of us think of Kyle as "infallible." He's a great teacher first, a good man second, and an amazing coach. He's not above any criticism, and he would likely be the first to say so.

Oh, and who calls us "Ig?" Iggy is bad enough. Ig is just lazy.

With high standards come high expectations. The coaches set the goals, not the fans or alumni. The state title is the goal.

And those Ignatius "fans" or whatever calling for Kyle to step down are usually the younger type. Finally, i don't think too many of us think of Kyle as "infallible." He's a great teacher first, a good man second, and an amazing coach. He's not above any criticism, and he would likely be the first to say so.

Oh, and who calls us "Ig?" Iggy is bad enough. Ig is just lazy.
I do— had a classmate with that (middle) name– he was Ig to us... so your school is too... If we can be called X, and your local rival can be called Ed(s), you can be called Ig (or ”I”—except that’s sometimes confusing, given that’s already a common pronoun)— no more lazy than those are...

As for the goal, I’m thinking maybe not this year— it IS an UNUSUAL year...

As for the infallible part, I heard a lot of that, back in 2008-2011, from your brethren— everything “Chico“ did was, apparently, “calculated, with the end in mind“— he had a reason and a purpose, sometimes inscrutable, for everything he did— and it was beyond us mere mortals to comprehend, let alone question, any of his decisions— that started to change, a bit, when the better team clearly did not win in the 2016 title game...

BUT, I agree with you on the last part, about Kyle—I don’t know the man— but from all that I’ve seen, heard, and read, everything you say is absolutely correct.

Last edited:
Apparently, Ig’s defense was fairly good (bordering on excellent) against Massillon last night— but Ig‘s offense leaves a lot to be desired— they (allegedly) don’t have any “playmakers” on offense— no good (or at least fast) RBs, no dangerous receivers, and the QB seems to be the biggest source of alumni/fan disgruntlement...

All in all, it sounds like this week will be a very low-scoring game— as Ig’s passing is unlikely to be able to exploit the biggest weakness of X’s defense— and X’s offense will probably struggle to run it— leaving only the X passing game to move the ball...

Now if Nolan plays like he did last game, maybe it WON’T be close— but I’m not betting that way...

"I do— had a classmate with that (middle) name– he was Ig to us... so your school is too... If we can be called X, and your local rival can be called Ed(s), you can be called Ig (or ”I”—except that’s sometimes confusing, given that’s already a common pronoun)— no more lazy than those are..."

Oh, come on... you're Ex-zavier, pronounced that way by the same people that spell "Ignatius" " Ignatious." That being said, the lack of double sessions and summer practices, combined with no standouts on a dull, predictable offense, makes this game an easy win for you. The offense has scored once in two games. Ignatius will go into the postseason 0-3 in OHSAA games and yet will probably still be the third best team in Region 1. Strange year.

"I do— had a classmate with that (middle) name– he was Ig to us... so your school is too... If we can be called X, and your local rival can be called Ed(s), you can be called Ig (or ”I”—except that’s sometimes confusing, given that’s already a common pronoun)— no more lazy than those are..."

Oh, come on... you're Ex-zavier, pronounced that way by the same people that spell "Ignatius" " Ignatious." That being said, the lack of double sessions and summer practices, combined with no standouts on a dull, predictable offense, makes this game an easy win for you. The offense has scored once in two games. Ignatius will go into the postseason 0-3 in OHSAA games and yet will probably still be the third best team in Region 1. Strange year.
Seems accurate... though I’m not ready to jump on that “easy win” canard... Ig’s defense is still very good– and X has shown itself capable of self-destructing at (multiple) times this year— we led a terrible Moeller team only 21-14 at the half— despite our 3rd string QB playing out of his head, with Drew Brees-like accuracy for almost the entire game... X can’t run against any good defense— and we will stop drives with offensive (line, usually) penalties regularly— so we might not score much— and, with our inability to cover even mid-level receivers, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Ig hit a big pass play or two against us—and make it a very close game.

Does anyone know the prognosis on Josh Anderson? Is he due back anytime soon. DB is the one area we cant afford any losses at,

Any news on possible TV for Ignatius game. I see the gametime is 5:00pm - seems like a good time for a Spectrum game.

Ignatius is driving down to Cincinnati on game day and then back to Cleveland after.

Long day for the kids and coaches, especially with a 5 pm kick off.

Ignatius is driving down to Cincinnati on game day and then back to Cleveland after.

Long day for the kids and coaches, especially with a 5 pm kick off.
Both teams do this on the year that they are visitors, The JV teams used to go up on friday and spend the night but I'm sure that isn't happening this year. It does make for a long day. This is one of the few games that X coaches allow players to ride back with their parents. Not sure if Ignatius does this or not.

Couple of items. NO JV this year due to COVID. Correct on same day trip, X has always driven up/back on game day, I presume same for St.I. Only difference is later kickoff time.

Agree on Josh Anderson, needed back as effectively down 2 DB's with him out and Nolan at QB. The next two up, I think Brareswilt and Vogelsang (spelling?) will get good experience and hopefully stepup. Nolan is better QB than DB, Steve loves long DB's but it looks like Nolan likes O better. Next year he is probably the lead receiver. When Brogan is back coaches need to fair to Nolan so he gets reps at QB just in case and also gets reps with 1st team D, they'll have to manage time in that 1st team O and 1st team D are going against Scout teams on opposite ends of field.

Also noted that Mason put 2 kickoffs in endzone, I think that a first for the year? Makes for a longer field if he can keep that up.

Last, looked like O line shakeup last week but didn't seem to help run game, so will Wasler go back to starting?

Would be really good to have Anderson back, as mentioned, with Nolan moved over, that makes the backfield really short, though Bareswilt has played pretty well given the circumstances, and Kemper has generally been good as well. Unfortunately, the defensive scheme relies on stuffing the run, and creating pressure on the QB to give relief to the DB's. Quick passing can hurt them, and anytime the QB can survey and fire is going to leave them exposed. Too many times the pressure is not getting home.

Oline has been disappointing against the run. The pass blocking has held up well for the most part, but the run blocking has been too inconsistent. I still think that this has a lot to do with the offensive philosophy of pass first- the blocking technique is much different, and I don't think the boys are accustomed to the get low and drive people back versus the balance, footwork, and weight distribution for pass blocking. That and the strength of the line is the left side, especially the interior left, yet they run stretch plays and sweeps way too often. When you run up the middle, the 2-3 yard runs become 4-5 yard runs, become backs breaking runs to the second level, ie Kellom's late TD run up the gut.

Defenses have also figured out that they can't outsize the line, but they can be quicker. Cathedral exploited this the most, and Cov's calling didn't adjust to beat this with RB screens, counters, draws, etc. Let's face it, bad playcalling cost them the Brownsburg game (the stupid dropback that I still don't get), and they had a good chance in the Cathedral game playing with a QB who had not taken a snap in two months. This is a very good football team that is going to be a very tough out in the next few weeks.

Couple of items. NO JV this year due to COVID. Correct on same day trip, X has always driven up/back on game day, I presume same for St.I. Only difference is later kickoff time.

Agree on Josh Anderson, needed back as effectively down 2 DB's with him out and Nolan at QB. The next two up, I think Brareswilt and Vogelsang (spelling?) will get good experience and hopefully stepup. Nolan is better QB than DB, Steve loves long DB's but it looks like Nolan likes O better. Next year he is probably the lead receiver. When Brogan is back coaches need to fair to Nolan so he gets reps at QB just in case and also gets reps with 1st team D, they'll have to manage time in that 1st team O and 1st team D are going against Scout teams on opposite ends of field.

Also noted that Mason put 2 kickoffs in endzone, I think that a first for the year? Makes for a longer field if he can keep that up.

Last, looked like O line shakeup last week but didn't seem to help run game, so will Wasler go back to starting?
As far as Nolan goes, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I agree that he could be a very good WR next year, very good speed and size, really athletic... but I have no idea if he can actually catch the football. If so, he and McFarlin will be a dangerous pair next year. He could also bring am interesting wrinkle to the Wildcat, because right now, Vrsansky is a running threat only when he is back there.

Mason is starting to show his leg a bit, and I would love to see him out it in the end zone every time. Taking a dangerous returner out of the game would be a big bonus.

Speaking of, has Cliff returned a single kick this year? I know that teams have been trying to kick away from him, but even the longer ones, Gabe seems to take the lead.

Parker is a beast and one of the best OL players in the city. I do wonder if it would help if they could play him somewhere else on the OL. I trust the coaching staff because more than likely they value Parker more at Center right now and there probably isn't anyone ready to play there right now. Having said that I think they have to try and develop another player for Center next season. I also agree with the other poster, the offensive scheme of pass first does make it a little more challenging for a consistent run game at times.

Lets also not forget this team has played an incredibly tough schedule. Moeller is the only easy game they have had so if they get to the playoffs at 4-2 with everyone healthy, they are going to be poised to make a run.

The Ignatius Varsity team has generally driven down the night before and stayed in a hotel. Not sure if that has changed at all in recent years.

The Ignatius Varsity team has generally driven down the night before and stayed in a hotel. Not sure if that has changed at all in recent years.
My understanding is that both teams do not stay overnight anymore— or haven’t for some years now— both X and Ig varsity travel and return on the same day, I’ve been told...

My understanding is that both teams do not stay overnight anymore— or haven’t for some years now— both X and Ig varsity travel and return on the same day, I’ve been told...
For at least the last 5 years they have driven up and back the same day. Not sure about prior to 2016

Congrats to X. Impressive offense.

Ignatius is awful. The entire program is barely average.

Congrats to X. Impressive offense.

Ignatius is awful. The entire program is barely average.
Gotta say- this game was the exact opposite of what I expected— thought Ig would be tough on defense— and not very dangerous on offense...

Obviously, (mostly) good Offense by X— record-setting, even by Clifford...is there ANY doubt, any more, that the strength of this team is !) the WRs; 2) the QBs; 3) Offensive line’s pass blocking... also— nice run by CK—suggesting somewhat better blocking on straight ahead plays (still, not so much on wide plays— And can we please dispense with the Wildcat offense— how many times do we have to demonstrate that the Wildcat is completely ineffective for this team— especially when trying to run wide)...

But:
1) What is going on with Rohmiller on kickoffs? When did he suddenly become unable to reach the end zone on kickoffs— necessitating giving up the 30-yard line starting point, by kicking to the 25-yard line and hoping to cover it?
2) What the Hell happened on the tackling on Ig’s first and last touchdowns of the first half—the 75-yard first play, and the 15-yard last play of the half— both involved X defenders looking like they were never taught how to tackle...
3) As good as Brogan was at times, he still appears to make some poor decisions about throwing into VERY tight coverage— or even double/triple coverage—is that a by-product of having such great receivers that he figures they can/will get any 50/50 balls—or is he being told to do that, because they think he’s THAT good, and can (usually) get away with it?— I think Nolan “got away” with some, too (last week)— because his receivers made incredible plays— but I also think Brogan threw more questionable passes.... speaking of which: is Brogan seriously hurt— or were they being precautionary? (That hit that took him out would have drawn a roughing the passer personal foul in the NFL— maybe it should have in this game?)

P.S.- Not looking forward to seeing that Lenahan kid in Cleveland again next year— that is going to be a 150+ yard game— with Ig eating clock like the 2001 State Title game, if we are not better able to tackle him...

IG kicker has a serious leg. Lenihan is an incredible athlete. Turn that kid loose. IG has some massive OL. Heard they played Las Vegas Bishop Gorman earlier this season. Hats off to playing a very tough schedule.

The short kickoffs were working and seems to be a trend across high school football.

Brogan looked a bit rusty to start and then he really looked locked in. Seems to me he might of reaggravated his previous injury. It will not surprise me if he sits this next weekend but he might not have to if CPS doesn't allow Walnut Hills to play.

The defense once again made some good adjustments at halftime. It seems to be a trend with this team. I wish the defense would rotate more players to keep the guys fresh but if it hasn't happened by now it isn't going to happen in the playoffs.

Appreciate you X guys looking for silver linings with Ignatius.

However, 62 points. That's gross. Simply gross.

Appreciate you X guys looking for silver linings with Ignatius.

However, 62 points. That's gross. Simply gross.
That wasn’t some Bobby Bowden/Lou Holtz Southern football coach sandbagging comments— Ig has some TALENTED players on offense— and they are ALWAYS going to be well-coached on fundamentals— it may not be a complete team this year— but Ig is DANGEROUS— the rest of Region 1 will rue taking Ig lightly— if they DO.

Chicken Little and the “SKY IS FALLING” Alumni crowd have left Montgomery Road and headed ~250 miles north on I-71 to downtown Cleveland— the below is not unrepresentative of comments that Ig alums are (NOW) making on various threads about their head football coach who once (not that many years ago— e.g.- 2016) was infallible:

”That said, football program has regressed to the point where I don’t know if it will ever come back under Chuck Kyle. Mediocre to above average position players with ZERO playmakers. The kids out there are doing their best, and I don’t blame them. I blame the coaching staff. They are simply not attracting the same kids to the program that they were 10- 25 years ago. All respect to Chuck Kyle, but a new head coach from the outside- like a Rick Finnoti type candidate is needed to get the program back on track.”

Rumor has it that Ig alums are trying to convince Urban Meyer to come out of (sportscasting) retirement and return to Jesuit HS football coaching, to return Ig to its former glory... would Pope Urban II be able to pull off that seemingly miraculous feat?

(And if so, will Pope Urban II issue a Papal Bull to ensure that “Chico” is still sainted as St. Chuck of Cleveland, as previously scheduled?)
I double down...

Gotta agree, a good and dangerous team at St. I. Also need to factor in no double sessions and 2 less games. My hunch there would be more dime packages on defense to combat the passing attack. When the line is protecting well, (thought they did a great job on blitz pickup and interior line stunts), the receiver speed with Clifford, Patterson, McFarlin is tough to stop.