Hilliard Darby wins George and Peg Gran Kickoff Classic

FormerWildcat

Yappi Supporter
Darby takes it to another level
Saturday, August 18, 2007
BY Bill Snier
REPOSITORY SPORTS WRITER

HARTVILLE Last October, Hilliard Darby High School finished sixth with 309 in the Division I Central District boys golf tournament, missing a trip to state.

Friday at Seven Hills, Darby shot 302 with four of those players returning to top the 24-team field by 10 shots at the George and Peg Gran Kickoff Classic, winning the event for the third time.

"The Columbus area ... they just have it going down there," said Lake head coach Thom Grubb, whose team finished second at 312, one shot ahead of past champion Cleveland St. Ignatius.

"It's just another level down there."

Darby senior David Haley took it to another level on the final three holes, going birdie-birdie-eagle en route to a 1-under 71 for medalist honors.

"I didn't get off to a good start, but I kept it together on the back nine and finished strong," said Haley, who hit a 65-yard wedge shot into the hole for his eagle on the 426-yard par-4 No. 18 en route to a 3-under 33 on the back nine.

Joining Haley, who has verbally committed to the University of Minnesota, was senior Ethan Tracy, who has verbally committed to Arkansas. Tracy shot 1-over 73 en route to runner-up individual honors. Darby also got a 78 from junior John Hilditch.

"We stayed patient, played smart, made good decisions and made some putts," Darby coach Russ Edginton said. "We love coming up here. ... It's a great chance for the kids to bond and add more team chemistry.

"We just try to stay positive and in the moment."

Lake, which had victories in both the Federal League Preseason and Hoover Invitational this week, got 4-over 76 from both senior A.J. Bradford and junior Tyler Bornstein. The Blue Streaks also were second at Monday's Big Cat Invitational.

"I feel we have one of the best teams in Northeast Ohio right now, and hopefully we can keep it going," Grubb said. "We have four No. 1 players right now, and that's a great feeling.

"We can use this as motivation. We want to keep them humble and hungry. ... That's our goal the rest of the season."

Seniors Colin Broughton and Trevor Groot each shot 80 for the Blue Streaks.

Wooster's Jesse Butler won a two-hole playoff with St. Ignatius' Kevin Carlin to finish third individually at 74.

Among other area teams, seniors Anthony Bontrager and Nate Shingleton shot 78 as Hoover finished fourth (317), followed by Wooster (320) and Jackson, which tied with Warren JFK (323).

Among other area individuals, Massillon seniors Richie Schembechler and Adam Arman shot 75 and 76, respectively, GlenOak senior Dave Devore had 76 and Perry junior Tyler Light shot 77.

Reach Repository sports writer Bill Snier at (330) 580-8342 or e-mail: bill.snier@cantonrep.com

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=17&ID=370926&r=4&subCategoryID=29