Help! Plantar Fasciitis

ccrunner609

I assume that is what i have. The Monday after Thanksgiving I got up and could barely walk. No lead up or any symptoms.

I took a couple weeks off, got a new pair of running shoes, added some superfeet to all my shoes I am wearing.....ice it, wear a walking boot when I am out walking alot.

I have ran about 3 miles every day for a week and it has gotten a little better but its still there.

Any ideas?

You might want roll around on a tennis ball with your injured foot while standing up.

Use a tennis ball or even better use a golf ball. You can get into the tissue better with the golf ball. Also, get a Strassburg Sock to wear while you are sleeping. Another thing that will help is to freeze a water bottle or anything like that and then roll your foot on it.

I assume that is what i have. The Monday after Thanksgiving I got up and could barely walk. No lead up or any symptoms.

Any ideas?

How certain are you and why? Describe exactly what you were doing prior and what it feels like, plus what you did to self diagnose.

We always have a half dozen golf balls in out locker room freezer for this. roll your foot on the frozen ball before and after a run....and while watching TV.... also try to "scrunch" up a flat towel with just your toes and pick up marbles with your toes both to get the blood flowing to the bottom of the foot.... not many vessels in the plantar facia, so you really got to work it.
Let us know how you are progressing.

I took a couple weeks off, got a new pair of running shoes, added some superfeet to all my shoes I am wearing.....ice it, wear a walking boot when I am out walking alot.

I have ran about 3 miles every day for a week and it has gotten a little better but its still there.

Any ideas?

I had this in October and November also. The first thing I did was buy some $40 inserts for my shoes at Bob Ronckers and I actually think that made it worse (the guy at Ronckers all but told me they weren't going to work but I bought them anyway). The first thing you have to understand is that Plantar fasciitis is a muscle/tendon issue, the salesman at Roncker's explained that to me. He recommended stretching and rolling my foot on a frozen water bottle. The only thing that helped me was stretching several times throughout the day including before and after a run (actually I didn't try the frozen water bottle because the stretching seemed to work so well). With your toes on the edge of a step, slowly drop your heal down as far as you can and hold it there for a count of five and then slowly raise your heal back above the step. Repeat 10 or 15 times for each session.

I would also simulate the stretch described above while laying in bed in the morning before I got up. One other thing that I found helped was scrunching my toes up under my foot as if I were trying to roll my foot up into a ball and holding that position for a few seconds. I also did this in bed several times before I got up in the morning. This was something I found by accident but it really seemed to help.

Once I started the stretching I was pretty much pain free in about two weeks and it hasn't come back. I occasionally feel that area "tightening up" on the same foot I had the problem when I'm out on a run and I do the toe scrunch thing and it seems to loosen up immediately and I have no further problems.

Good luck, I hope this helps you.

I needed the cortisone shots several times. You can get three a year. Another thing that helped me was putting a pillow on each side of my feet and building a tent to keep the sheet and blanket from pulling down on my toes.

Cortisone shots work well if you can take a needle in your foot.

Seems like overkill to me. I'd definitely try stretching it out for a couple of months before I would even consider something as drastic as a cortisone shot in the foot. But that's just me.

^^^^Yeah...I increased my stretching

Not just your typical stretching, make sure you do the step strech that I described in my first post several times throughout the day.

Do you have it in just one foot? The people who I have talked to that have had plantar fasciitis almost always only had it in one foot and it was usually their left foot. Same for you? Just curious because I find it to be interesting that it was almost universal based on everyone I have talked to.

Not just your typical stretching, make sure you do the step strech that I described in my first post several times throughout the day.

Do you have it in just one foot? The people who I have talked to that have had plantar fasciitis almost always only had it in one foot and it was usually their left foot. Same for you? Just curious because I find it to be interesting that it was almost universal based on everyone I have talked to.

Go back to my original post. You posted this because you wanted advice. The best response can come from descibing what happened.

Perhaps you should take a small portion of the money you should be spending on a psychiatrist and use it to go see a doctor that might know what you have and what you should do about it.

Perhaps you should take a small portion of the money you should be spending on a psychiatrist and use it to go see a doctor that might know what you have and what you should do about it.

I went to a doctor, got several shots, did stretching several times a day and rolled a frozen water bottle on it, plus got prescription inserts for my shoes and still took over a year to get rid of it. Walking and running on it just made it worse. Severe cases of it generally take about 6 months to get rid of from what i've been told. My experience was that the shots didn't help much.