Football Safety

LCL

What do you imagine will become safety implementations at the college level to sort of reduce violence of the game? I cannot think of what they will do. Safe tackling, less weekly contact have all been implemented. The tackle he made last night was a normal tackle. Will this be treated as an isolated incident or what?

What do you imagine will become safety implementations at the college level to sort of reduce violence of the game? I cannot think of what they will do. Safe tackling, less weekly contact have all been implemented. The tackle he made last night was a normal tackle. Will this be treated as an isolated incident or what?
Yes. An isolated incident. You can post this everywhere you want, but what happened last night isn’t going to end or change football.

Yes. An isolated incident. You can post this everywhere you want, but what happened last night isn’t going to end or change football.
Again, not trying to end or ban the game of football. Love it and Live. Been around it as a playing it and now coaching it since I was 5 years old. Only provoking a thought or question of how we will move on effectively as a football community from this.

Again, not trying to end or ban the game of football. Love it and Live. Been around it as a playing it and now coaching it since I was 5 years old. Only provoking a thought or question of how we will move on effectively as a football community from this.
Nothing will change. It was a fluke injury that no one even knows yet whether it was ultimately caused by the pedestrian hit that preceded it.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I think there are many people who are constantly looking to upgrade safety for football players. The equipment, when worn correctly and required to wear, is as good as any time in history. Remember the helmets of the 70's and 80s??? Basically a piece of plastic with some styrafoam in it. Players heads where slammed into the frozen ground, many fields had little grass. We act like this is the worst time in football history.

I'm not even sure medical personnel was even required up until about 20 years ago.

These are good questions. And we need the GOOD news and all the precautions that are taken to keep the game safe.

Now, as to your point on contact in practice. I actually feel there needs to be a movement or MORE contact in practices. NFL and college players hardly hit anymore in practices. Their bodies are not ready for contact when the seasons begin and they go from no/ little contact to weekly car accidents. I liken it to running a marathon. You don't go out and run a marathon i a week. It takes months of building up your body to do that. Football needs this. One month before the season, begin a minimum of 3 full pad practices with contact.
We have the most athletic, strongest, fastest football players ever, great nutrition and training facilities, yet we have more guys hurt than ever before. They are not ready for the season.

Has nothing to do with last night but something I have wanted for a while is banning tackle football with helmets through 6th grade. Allow a modified hybrid version for 7th and 8th.

Too many young people are taught improper technique not to mention their body is not ready for the physicality.

It would help grow participation as well IMO.

Has nothing to do with last night but something I have wanted for a while is banning tackle football with helmets through 6th grade. Allow a modified hybrid version for 7th and 8th.

Too many young people are taught improper technique not to mention their body is not ready for the physicality.

It would help grow participation as well IMO.
Bad early technique becomes habit just like with any number of skills in other sports.

As far as the type of freak injury that occurred last night...the youth level is where it's most likely to occur in football due to lack of physical development/muscular protection in the chest area.

A lot more kids would play IMO. Worst thing for participation is having some dumb d!ckhead has beens trying to act hard/tough with elementary aged kids with less than stellar skill/technique development.

Football safety? Players are bigger, faster and stronger than they use to be. What is the Pro and College answer to reduce the chance of injury? Let's schedule more games. Increase the number of playoff games. Not for safety but for making more money. It is a business. Nothing else truly matters.

Wear couture?:rolleyes:

Football safety? Players are bigger, faster and stronger than they use to be. What is the Pro and College answer to reduce the chance of injury? Let's schedule more games. Increase the number of playoff games. Not for safety but for making more money. It is a business. Nothing else truly matters.
They added more games so the Big Ten might could get somebody passed the first round.