Eastmoor and Marion-Franklin on endangered list

RollingTrain

The latest round of Columbus Public Schools being clueless, it appears Eastmoor and Marion-Franklin could be on the closure list. I have a hard time seeing either community going for this. Eastmoor would transfer to East and MF to Columbus South.

The latest round of Columbus Public Schools being clueless, it appears Eastmoor and Marion-Franklin could be on the closure list. I have a hard time seeing either community going for this. Eastmoor would transfer to East and MF to Columbus South.

Does either community have a say?

MF has been long speculated to be the next high school to go. It’s a tough situation because the south side has a more congealed, dedicated effort behind the backing of MFHS compared to the east side (any of WR, Indy, East… maybe even EA) but MF’s building has been in dire straits.

I’m curious (fearful) of how the actual logistics of merging MF into South will look down the line for the kids. Some of the areas close to South are close-ish to East. It’s hard to imagine in some regards whether the new South HS being the corridor of Lockbourne Rd neighborhoods will be a good or a bad thing.

I think at the end of the day this district has made some silly, misguided mistakes by trying to make these “prep” concept grade schools a thing. I don’t see how these schools were even going to be worthwhile, because the district’s calling card for that grade level were already in schools that existed before CCS stupidly got into this craze of “let’s slap chic names and uniform policies onto a school that doesn’t provide a product materially better than the neighborhood elementary schools we are responsible for.”

at the same time… this district also has a bad habit over the years of kowtowing to random “community leaders” that look at general needs, like facilities, in the furthest extreme of “nice to have = must have” that bring the district largesse in the form of a new massive East High School and an Africentric campus with a 94’ foot court. Like you can make a new East HS without the bells and whistles & get Africentric out of Mohawk MS and it’s 72’ gym with something more realistic to fit the need… but nah these fellas did too much and are running into issues of why they both don’t have paper and still lose kids. At the same time the best academic high school in the district (Cols. Alternative) is in crack den condition the entirety of this rebuilding saga.

If you want a materialized example of why these things proved to be fruitless: after all these are done to keep kids in CCS, ya? Well, whoops, Wexner family bankrolled a new school with far better facilities and far better reputation than East and A-High on the same side of town, and its board has higher-profile people locally on it than a preacher with the same politics. So CCS loses money, loses the kids they want to keep and in the process also loses the people with clout that they would’ve preferred to put their reputation to the statement “Columbus City Schools is where your kids should go, residents.”

I honestly can’t believe tax payers passed the last levy. This district just does stupid over and over again. The millions that they used to sink into buildings the last time around is absurd. And now another go around? They can’t get out of their own way.

Eastmoor would not be closing, but being moved into the current building that holds East HS. East would actually be the one closing, and those students redistributed to their nearest neighborhood schools. Eastmoor is a lottery school.

Marion Franklin would be moved and combined with South HS. The existing building Marion Franklin resides in would become a junior high. South would go back to being 9-12, and their 7th and 8th grade moved to Marion Franklin.

Eastmoor would not be closing, but being moved into the current building that holds East HS. East would actually be the one closing, and those students redistributed to their nearest neighborhood schools. Eastmoor is a lottery school.

Marion Franklin would be moved and combined with South HS. The existing building Marion Franklin resides in would become a junior high. South would go back to being 9-12, and their 7th and 8th grade moved to Marion Franklin.
The South Franklin Blue Devils / Devil Dawgs would be a pretty good football team.

Scenario 5

• Eastmoor Academy moves to East High School and redistricts, leaving a middle school at Eastmoor;
  • Johnson Park and Sherwood middle schools consolidate with Eastmoor campus and those buildings would close;
  • Broadleigh Elementary School would consolidate with area schools and close.

Thought I remembered that this exact scenario already decided 4 or 5 years ago? Around the time M-F was moved to a lower division when it came out their actual student population was actually half of what CCS was reporting?

Or was that just the proposal, and they're only getting around to implementation now? Kinda thought the levy passing last year would've spared Marion-Franklin for a while. Will feel weird being in the south end without them.

Last edited: