Dublin Coffman Rocks 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
On top of that, I believe the Lacrosse coach was Coach Warren? While never a standout for Rocks football, he was a player that was very committed and came back to coach football also. To my point, another Crabtree guy that Stokes ran off that seemed intent on staying and attempting to support Stokes’ mission. So, one of the few that were willing to see a “change” through, that played and went to school there. He was probably too soft.
let me know when you know the whole story... Thanks

I forgot about the lacrosse thing. He's not the only one to butt heads with lacrosse players. There was an incident in the weight room earlier this fall with lacrosse players and the coach of another team. A lot of the younger kids player lacrosse and football, so that was not a smart move at all. Again, I think it's a lack of understanding the culture in Dublin and he's not going to change it. He can try all he wants. Odds of it happening are between slim and none.
the coach of another team? which team was that?

Nice job by Central Florida beating program in some disarray Florida . Nice win for us . Jimmy two
Picks killed the Niners who were the right side . Poised to go up 14-0 in the first quarter Jimmy G throws a pick in the end zone . Literally nothing there and he threw it right into coverage . Taking three points seems to be taboo now .

Had a 10-0 lead going to the half and we looked good with the UNDER and SF . Wrong . Under was never threatened but another awful throw by JG sets up a short field and a 10-10 game suddenly . JG missed av wide open receiver down field and the Niners stay stuck on 10 .

Tennessee and stud receiver Brown score again . Nice drive by SF to tie it but scored too early .
Tannehill escapes and runs fur an inexplicable 25-30 yards getting his team in FG range . Game over and another bad loss for SF .

Won for the day but another loss with a team scoring in the last minutes to beat us ., Winning a majority of NFL straight point spread winners is a very difficult proposition obviously . If you aren’t getting early lines , utilizing teasers and ML parlays or straight ML plays you basically aren’t going to win long term
. College hoops is heating up and I have a baseline knowledge and power ratings set with enough data now . 16-14 so far with a 2-1 best bet record . Nothing to write home about but holding off serious play until now has been the modus operandi fur a while now. Trying to finish the main part of football before getting involved in CBB seriously .

Sent XMAS teaser ( Indy GB) which I like a bit . Two bowl games today

Was two bowls as Hawaii not surprisingly pulled out of their Hawaii bowl game less than a day before . Line shot up to 9.5 on the recent news .

As some we got GA State over Ball State when the lines came out ( 4). And gave a ML parlay with GSU with Virginia ( -1.5) .

Cincinnati Bengals -3 over the Ravens . Ravens are as diminished as any team in the league . Tons of issues and three razor close losses where they fought to the bitter end. I think the dam breaks this week and Cincinnati wins but TD here in a really interesting if not dysfunctional ( injuries covid and other dynamics ) division . Burrow will throw deep a handful of times and hit on a couple I think .

Excellent article on leadership . Coach Stokes possesses strong leadership skills and has the positive qualities talked about here . No leader or way of doing things is perfect or infallible. But the Rocks have a guy who gets “ it” in many ways . This is a new community and atmosphere and different than anything he has experienced . Difficult time in terms of football interest and other not so ideal dynamics . Coach should get full support and hopefully the kids will come out in greater numbers at the lower levels and will want to be part of something special down the road . Merry Christmas to all

Nice day yesterday with a large ( hit real early and hit again later on ) winner with GA State (. Team total OVER also hit ). Xmas teaser played at open was a little tense with GB taking foot off of the gas a bit and dropping the ball in both sides (. Baker could or should have had 6 picks ) and nay be got away with a grab late but if you looked the Browns defenders were doing the same thing and weren’t called a few times earlier in the game . (. And a few holds in the run game ). And Indy came through with a depleted Oline vs reeling Arizona .

Packers defense is not the same as it was 4-6 weeks ago and I’ve been on this fading defense topic fir a few weeks now . It’s really a thing.

Got Pats early to win by at least a FG but just teased the Bills last night at + 7.5 thinking this will be a tight one.

With the LAC -11 to beat the Texans by at least 6 points .

Huge line value as I sent the Bengals in at -3 over the depleted Ravens . The QB situation has changed as they turn to # 3. Journeyman Josh Johnson . You can get 7.5 now ? Middle ? Not sure. Probably not .

Looking at. Pittsburgh grabbing a bushel at KC who has some issues with injury / Covid . and a couple more looking for some more info on player availability .

Pittsburgh +10.5 teased to 16.5 with
Jax + 2.5 to 8.5

Under 44(. Now 42.5 ). Detroit - Atlanta (. Detroit Goff. Out a guy named Boyle starting at QB ) Detroit plays really hard on defense .

So my little brother showed me this thread after asking me about my views of what is going on with DCHS athletics in general. And a couple of things jumped out at me. As in really ticked me off.

I am a former Rock athlete (girls soccer, XC and track) who has had a couple siblings and a couple more cousins play FB for the Rocks from 2008 through this season. I am also good friends with the second longest serving head coach at Coffman (who also is now the current coach with the most time coaching at Coffman and is the current coach with the most total experience as a coach and as a head coach). He absolutely refused to say anything directly other than that he respects both Stokes and Crabtree as coaches (see my comments in the next paragraph about leadership), but he did answer a bunch of my questions. So I feel like I am about as aware of the program as anyone not actually in the program or in the building can be.

So what ticked me off? The direct statements that earlier players were weak. And the direct statements that the previous coaches didn't know what they were doing. In particular with respect to the weight training of Coach Crager. It ticked me off because it is bad leadership, pure and simple. It is literally something they warned us not to do in officer training for the army. It is dismissive and doesn't generally earn you actual respect. And it makes people wary about how they will be treated if they get on your bad side. That is not how you inspire people to give you their best. It ticked me off because I knew (and was track teammates with) players from earlier in the Crabtree era and because he was talking about my family members. And it ticked me off because I know Coach Crager is actually very knowledgable in the weight room. Not just pretty good, but actually very knowledgeable about what is currently known about weight training. One of the things I confirmed with my coach friend mentioned above was his view that Coach Crager was very knowledgable and someone he asked for advice on weight training.

Why not just say "Here is the way I want to do things." Let people draw their own conclusions. The athletic director and principal knew that it was going to be a serious rebuilding year. Saying something like "They had a great team in 2020, with lots of seniors. Those seniors graduated and the current team doesn't have as much experience. So we will take some lumps, but we will learn. We will get stronger. We will get better." makes people recognize that not winning as much as in the past was not your fault without burning bridges and without making teenagers essentially pick between loyalty to their old coach and their current coach. Because to teenagers

Reading through this thread really, really pushed my buttons because so many people seem to be willfully missing the point that a lot of posters are making... most of the angst is not over whether or not Coach Stokes knows how to coach football, but whether or not it was kind of a jerk move to diss basically everyone involved with the program before he got there.

On the plus side, it feels oddly comforting as a health care professional to be ticked off at something that isn't "for the love of god would you please either get vaccinated or wear a damn mask, or both?" So, maybe, thanks???

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and perspective. I too scratched my head when hearing the current coach’s use of bashing a successful 20 year coaching staff as being less than if you will . Doesn’t earn respect at all or cultivate trust. It does the opposite . He can coach to be sure, but this seems to be a blind spot because 2 good sources from Minster said he did the same thing when he got there. Hopefully it’s done now (. Blaming the previous staff and belittling successful long term coaches )

Reactions: WTD
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and perspective. I too scratched my head when hearing the current coach’s use of bashing a successful 20 year coaching staff as being less than if you will . Doesn’t earn respect at all or cultivate trust. It does the opposite . He can coach to be sure, but this seems to be a blind spot because 2 good sources from Minster said he did the same thing when he got there. Hopefully it’s done now (. Blaming the previous staff and belittling successful long term coaches )
not sure if Stokes trashed Coach Moore at Minster like what is being represented , in fact Stokes has said that his first team at Minster probably could have won State with Moore as HC, but it took that team awhile to get use to his STYLE of coaching. I'm not sure what type of relationship that Moore and Stokes have now, i never heard that it was strained, in fact Lasalle came calling to try to get Stokes when Moore left Lasalle to go to Massillon.....

not sure if Stokes trashed Coach Moore at Minster like what is being represented , in fact Stokes has said that his first team at Minster probably could have won State with Moore as HC, but it took that team awhile to get use to his STYLE of coaching. I'm not sure what type of relationship that Moore and Stokes have now, i never heard that it was strained, in fact Lasalle came calling to try to get Stokes when Moore left Lasalle to go to Massillon.....

Yes it was a talented team Stokrs said in an interview but I don’t recall him saying state champ level ( went 6-4 ). Heard he did bash Moore staff . So what? Who cares about that now and his relationship. It’s not important . Safe to say he has zero relationship with former Coffman staff ( and doesn’t want one or respect them anyway and quite frankly doesn’t need to ). The big difference is where Stokes entered Minster at a time where there were talented players and classes , he entered Coffman at their biggest rebuild in over two decades . Talent isn’t the same as it’s been . Bad timing . Stokes left when the Minster talent cupboard was becoming more bare as we have seen (. Funny how coaches often seem to leave at this exact moments in time ? ) but he has come into the same exact scenario at Coffman . Tough duty .

Kids working hard and hopefully more talented athletes come out and the numbers are good . Not an easy transition. He’s a talented team builder . This is a tough and different build than it was there .

Yes it was a talented team Stokrs said in an interview but I don’t recall him saying state champ level ( went 6-4 ). Heard he did bash Moore staff . So what? Who cares about that now and his relationship. It’s not important . Safe to say he has zero relationship with former Coffman staff ( and doesn’t want one or respect them anyway and quite frankly doesn’t need to ). The big difference is where Stokes entered Minster at a time where there were talented players and classes , he entered Coffman at their biggest rebuild in over two decades . Talent isn’t the same as it’s been . Bad timing . Stokes left when the Minster talent cupboard was becoming more bare as we have seen (. Funny how coaches often seem to leave at this exact moments in time ? ) but he has come into the same exact scenario at Coffman . Tough duty .

Kids working hard and hopefully more talented athletes come out and the numbers are good . Not an easy transition. He’s a talented team builder . This is a tough and different build than it was there .
Two dangerous words: “I heard”

Stokes is doing what he was hired to do and the way he was hired to do it.

Remember that there were former players during the process that interviewed stokes. They were crystal clear on what they thought needed to be done with the program.

keep in mind before you become triggered: I’m not saying what I want or what hurts my feelings. I like crabby. And I like Curtis. I also know that there are happenings that might not be popular on Yappi but no less relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.