Dublin Coffman 2024

have you talked to ALL of them
No one I’ve talked to that has any affiliation with DCHS cares. In fact I talked to an administrator that thinks this will be better for reasons previously stated. This is an absolute non issue for everyone except the very few who think Yappi land has any impact.

Stokes tenure at Coffman will not be remembered fondly by the community sans AHM. His CDS (Crabtree Derangement Syndrome) really gets to him sometimes.

Lots of talk, not a lot of actions lining up with the talk. Been that way since his start. When you try and build something on lies, it’s typically a weak foundation.

Stokes tenure at Coffman will not be remembered fondly by the community sans AHM. His CDS (Crabtree Derangement Syndrome) really gets to him sometimes.

Lots of talk, not a lot of actions lining up with the talk. Been that way since his start. When you try and build something on lies, it’s typically a weak foundation.
They were regional finalist last year

so in your eyes that isn't a very good accomplishment?

You are responding to someone who says that public schools have a huge advantage over privates because of their middle school feeder programs.

A regional final is an exceptional accomplishment for any team, regardless of their history, and one DeSales wont sniff anytime in the near future so he's projecting his frustration by attacking others.

The issue with Stokes isn't whether or not DC players and parents will care whether or not he teaches. The issue is it sets an incredibly bad precedent, providing him a huge advantage over all other schools who have coaches that also teach.

You are responding to someone who says that public schools have a huge advantage over privates because of their middle school feeder programs.

A regional final is an exceptional accomplishment for any team, regardless of their history, and one DeSales wont sniff anytime in the near future so he's projecting his frustration by attacking others.

The issue with Stokes isn't whether or not DC players and parents will care whether or not he teaches. The issue is it sets an incredibly bad precedent, providing him a huge advantage over all other schools who have coaches that also teach.
what is the huge advantage with him not teaching but still coaching

I’m pretty sure my boys have won more state titles than your boys….

I hope you have always held the team with such lofty expectations for failure
More of a been there done that as a program for a while. The new coach was/is changing the “culture” for the better. I’m just trying to see what that ultimately looks like.

I think anyone here who has been watching Coffman football for a longer while , would say that this is a different era in the program's history, and that the margins are smaller, the three-year record is different, there are more blowout losses, and smaller margins of victory the last 3 years. This isn't to say as I have been saying all along that Coach Stokes isn't an excellent coach who got a good amount out of last year's team and his culture is strong and the kids have bought in and work very hard.

Region 2 has been thought of as the red headed stepchild out of the 4 D-1 regions. I think there has been a couple years that perceived weakness was overblown and that the region's top teams were NOT much different than the top teams in R-3 certainly and Springfield has had some teams reach the final. The 2023 season showed that the region wasn't that strong overall and Coffman reaching the final of it was a good accomplishment no question but a monumental achievement? NO. Some here are Crabtree critics and one in particular is emotional about it and has been for many years. Emotion clouds the judgement. There are some Stokes detractors here as well and emotion may play a part in their opinions.

If you think Crabtree built a strong program that was consistently good over 2 decades and had an excellent staff with great continuity that showed in the play on the field, you can still think that the new coach is also good. Brings a lot to the table. There is the newer school coach that emphasizes working incredibly hard focusing on the process and articulates that constantly. I have been posting this many times the last few years. Crabtree is 20 years older than Stokes and was more laid back not as intense. His detractors are always pointing out how much better Stokes is but obviously they can't point to his record or the play on the field. Kids are thinking they are better people than the previous teams and that's OK . Prety hard to measure this obviously. The team is closer and more together. Again hard to measure. Not every team is exactly the same year to year in terms of that closeness.

If you take a look at the Rocks teams that advanced to regional finals and the couple that won them in the Crabtree era, those teams had a bigger margin for error. They won games by more points, didn't lose many by large margins and if they did it wasn't to a 4-7 Orange team, it was pretty much the elite of D-1 when they got hammered. Especially the last decade before Stokes. The last 5 years when some said Crabtree wasn't a good coach anymore the team had an excellent record and most losses were by very small margins. So that's a tough argument to make that he lost his ability.

Stokes has his culture in place and has a handful of veterans going into their third year as starters. He has had a couple D-1 D-Lineman in his tenure, a very solid HS QB in Maggs, and some pretty decent talent at the skill positions. Not deep and not power 5 perhaps but some solid athletic ability. Last year the last 5 weeks was impressive and changes the trajectory of Stokes short tenure. The differences the last 3 years show less margin for error and a different almost slow down offensive pace where the games are shortened a bit play wise. The first half of Coffman games usually fly by before you even think of getting up to get something to eat. Crabtree had some teams mostly with high level QB's with arm talent that wanted to play a fast pace up tempo style that wanted to run as many plays as they could. The won games by larger margins than they do now . Later in his tenure they ran the bal more with good athletic QB's that weren't as gifted throwing as some previous kids, so the pace was slower with Ernst, Brown, and Mathews at QB from 2017-2020} not molasses like it is now though. They changed the pace depending on the flow of the game. . This year's regional finalist only had 45 more points than their opponents over 14 games. The better Coffman teams of the past who mostly played in a 8 team regional format dwarfed that point differential. Not even close.

This year's team achieved as much as it could, and the coaching staff gets credit for the improvement and the play-off run. It was a very good achievement. Great? No. They had some really nice wins including upsetting Bradley in week 10 holding on in a hard-fought battle that gave them valuable momentum heading to the play-offs. The other 2 wins over teams with winning records were Centerville early at home in a game they played well and won the turnover battle. Centerville was a good team, not really good but solid . And Berlin in round three of the play-offs in a 24-7 win that was a bit misleading , but solid. It must be noted that Berlin played without their MVP and starting QB Brewster and that would have been a razor close game with him in there.

Some notable happenings that show the small margins, were a 2 point win on the last play [52 yard FG} over a 2-9 Westy C team. It is noted that WC wasn't a typical 2-9 team , had some talent but played a very strong schedule. But 2 wins? A one point win over 5-6 Davidson who threw the ball at will in the second half and easily could have won the game on the 2 PT try that unfortunately for them was a dropped pass. a 21 pt loss to 4-7 Orange. Got off to a nice lead vs McKinley before giving up over 20 unanswered points and not scoring the last almost 3 quarters. UA coasted by the Rocks , as Coffman played a pretty sloppy game and only scored 3 points. The first two play-off wins before Berlin were against a 500 Fairmont team by a TD [14-7 again not doing much on O in the second half holding on late. And a 3 point win beating Liberty for the second time in round two. [Familiar theme of getting off to a nice lead before holding on not putting it away on offense in the second half Liberty ended 4-8 but like WC it must be noted they did have a tough schedule. They played pretty well vs. Springfield in a 21-14 loss but again the production in the second half was very limited. This wasn't one of Springfields better teams overall [ 5-5 reg season} as we know but got hot and went to the final vs Ed's after beating Moeller in the semi in OT and played pretty well.

So regional finalists was a big achievement but looking closer it wasn't a strong region overall this year. So to me taking the season as a whole and the circumstances it wasn't a massive feat. The team has gotten better from that tough first 4-8 year with multiple blowout losses that we hadn't seen here in quite some time if at all in some fans viewing time. Stokes hasn't had the same level of athletes and not as many of the good ones that Crabtree had in many [Not all years} seasons. I think he was a really good hire and he can flat out coach and I like his style. I don't see anything wrong with his not teaching. He will coach this team he knows well and it should be a good year. How they answer the few bigger question marks will determine how good. [QB, and some areas on defense}

Last edited:
I think anyone here who has been watching Coffman football for a longer while , would say that this is a different era in the program's history, and that the margins are smaller, the three-year record is different, there are more blowout losses, and smaller margins of victory the last 3 years. This isn't to say as I have been saying all along that Coach Stokes isn't an excellent coach who got a good amount out of last year's team and his culture is strong and the kids have bought in and work very hard.

Region 2 has been thought of as the red headed stepchild out of the 4 D-1 regions. I think there has been a couple years that perceived weakness was overblown and that the region's top teams were NOT much different than the top teams in R-3 certainly and Springfield has had some teams reach the final. The 2023 season showed that the region wasn't that strong overall and Coffman reaching the final of it was a good accomplishment no question but a monumental achievement? NO. Some here are Crabtree critics and one in particular is emotional about it and has been for many years. Emotion clouds the judgement. There are some Stokes detractors here as well and emotion may play a part in their opinions.

If you think Crabtree built a strong program that was consistently good over 2 decades and had an excellent staff with great continuity that showed in the play on the field, you can still think that the new coach is also good. Brings a lot to the table. There is the newer school coach that emphasizes working incredibly hard focusing on the process and articulates that constantly. I have been posting this many times the last few years. Crabtree is 20 years older than Stokes and was more laid back not as intense. His detractors are always pointing out how much better Stokes is but obviously they can't point to his record or the play on the field. Kids are thinking they are better people than the previous teams and that's OK . Prety hard to measure this obviously. The team is closer and more together. Again hard to measure. Not every team is exactly the same year to year in terms of that closeness.

If you take a look at the Rocks teams that advanced to regional finals and the couple that won them in the Crabtree era, those teams had a bigger margin for error. They won games by more points, didn't lose many by large margins and if they did it wasn't to a 4-7 Orange team, it was pretty much the elite of D-1 when they got hammered. Especially the last decade before Stokes. The last 5 years when some said Crabtree wasn't a good coach anymore the team had an excellent record and most losses were by very small margins. So that's a tough argument to make that he lost his ability.

Stokes has his culture in place and has a handful of veterans going into their third year as starters. He has had a couple D-1 D-Lineman in his tenure, a very solid HS QB in Maggs, and some pretty decent talent at the skill positions. Not deep and not power 5 perhaps but some solid athletic ability. Last year the last 5 weeks was impressive and changes the trajectory of Stokes short tenure. The differences the last 3 years show less margin for error and a different almost slow down offensive pace where the games are shortened a bit play wise. The first half of Coffman games usually fly by before you even think of getting up to get something to eat. Crabtree had some teams mostly with high level QB's with arm talent that wanted to play a fast pace up tempo style that wanted to run as many plays as they could. The won games by larger margins than they do now . Later in his tenure they ran the bal more with good athletic QB's that weren't as gifted throwing as some previous kids, so the pace was slower with Ernst, Brown, and Mathews at QB from 2017-2020} not molasses like it is now though. They changed the pace depending on the flow of the game. . This year's regional finalist only had 45 more points than their opponents over 14 games. The better Coffman teams of the past who mostly played in a 8 team regional format dwarfed that point differential. Not even close.

This year's team achieved as much as it could, and the coaching staff gets credit for the improvement and the play-off run. It was a very good achievement. Great? No. They had some really nice wins including upsetting Bradley in week 10 holding on in a hard-fought battle that gave them valuable momentum heading to the play-offs. The other 2 wins over teams with winning records were Centerville early at home in a game they played well and won the turnover battle. Centerville was a good team, not really good but solid . And Berlin in round three of the play-offs in a 24-7 win that was a bit misleading , but solid. It must be noted that Berlin played without their MVP and starting QB Brewster and that would have been a razor close game with him in there.

Some notable happenings that show the small margins, were a 2 point win on the last play [52 yard FG} over a 2-9 Westy C team. It is noted that WC wasn't a typical 2-9 team , had some talent but played a very strong schedule. But 2 wins? A one point win over 5-6 Davidson who threw the ball at will in the second half and easily could have won the game on the 2 PT try that unfortunately for them was a dropped pass. a 21 pt loss to 4-7 Orange. Got off to a nice lead vs McKinley before giving up over 20 unanswered points and not scoring the last almost 3 quarters. UA coasted by the Rocks , as Coffman played a pretty sloppy game and only scored 3 points. The first two play-off wins before Berlin were against a 500 Fairmont team by a TD [14-7 again not doing much on O in the second half holding on late. And a 3 point win beating Liberty for the second time in round two. [Familiar theme of getting off to a nice lead before holding on not putting it away on offense in the second half Liberty ended 4-8 but like WC it must be noted they did have a tough schedule. They played pretty well vs. Springfield in a 21-14 loss but again the production in the second half was very limited. This wasn't one of Springfields better teams overall [ 5-5 reg season} as we know but got hot and went to the final vs Ed's after beating Moeller in the semi in OT and played pretty well.

So regional finalists was a big achievement but looking closer it wasn't a strong region overall this year. So to me taking the season as a whole and the circumstances it wasn't a massive feat. The team has gotten better from that tough first 4-8 year with multiple blowout losses that we hadn't seen here in quite some time if at all in some fans viewing time. Stokes hasn't had the same level of athletes and not as many of the good ones that Crabtree had in many [Not all years} seasons. I think he was a really good hire and he can flat out coach and I like his style. I don't see anything wrong with his not teaching. He will coach this team he knows well and it should be a good year. How they answer the few bigger question marks will determine how good. [QB, and some areas on defense}
Even I don’t have time to read all of that. But I’m sure there’s some truth in there somewhere.
I think it was a great achievement. I get it that some don’t.
Would be interesting to see if people feel that crabby adequately achieve under achieved or over achieved. I don’t know the answer. But some feel strong.

haven't won one since what year???? slightly better then mediocre don't you think?
We can argue who has the historically better program if you like. We can also debate who has more tradition of success. I don’t think you’ll want that though as the answers are pretty clear…

We can argue who has the historically better program if you like. We can also debate who has more tradition of success. I don’t think you’ll want that though as the answers are pretty clear…

Kat is from Minster and his kid played and thrived under Coach Stokes there and he roots for him as the coach of Coffman now. Don't think
he or anyone else here is thinking about or wanting to discuss DeSales as they compare to a Dublin program TBH. All respect to DeSales and their history. Never thought them as a rival of Coffman or someone to compare the Public school Rocks program to. Definitely miss going to Karl Rd. for that annual scrimmage between the schools. To me it felt like the season was just about underway and was always the first look at the team for me as the first scrimmage was usually in the morning during the week. This was on Saturday and I got to go and see the team for the first time that year.

Who the F cares about your kids or results/"tradition" from several years ago? The only ppl who talk about that stuff are struggling with where things are right now and feel the need to save face by bringing up stuff that happened long ago, instead of looking forward to what is about to happen.

Enjoy your trophy room, there won't be anything added to it anytime soon for DeSales.

what is the huge advantage with him not teaching but still coaching
He will have much more free time for game prep relative to every other coach, especially with a "profession" like public speaking. More power to him if he can get paid a living wage for not having to work 40 hours/week, but it definitely provides a time advantage relative to teacher/coaches.

The luck of the draw can definitely be an element for a playoff run. But those accomplishments still count. Coffman was very close to hosting Springfield in the first round. Had that happened, Coffman probably loses the first game and there's a whole different discussion around the program. On the other hand, maybe home field would have been enough of an edge for Coffman to beat Springfield, especially coming off the best performance of the Stokes era in Week 10. In that scenario, maybe it's the Rocks who win the region.

Stokes won two state titles in part because he never had to face Marion Local due to being in different divisions. Now Minster can't shake ML when it comes to divisional placement. Minster would have a much better chance to win state the next two years had they been in a different division than ML, but now it's an uphill climb. But those are the breaks. Nobody is taking any banners down because of a favorable draw.

so what was the LIES that you feel were made?

so what was the LIES that you feel were made?
You’re a seemingly nice guy Kat. I don’t mean to offend, I know you and your son had a great experience with Stokes. I’ve always maintained Stokes has to be a good to great coach to already have accomplished the things he has.

If you go back a long time to the beginning of Stokes at Coffman, you are welcome to check my posting history, I’ve stayed pretty consistent.

The “lies” I’m referring to is the load of shat he spewed about a good to great D1 program when he took over. As if he were coming into some catastrophe of a program and he was going to “fix” it and actually make “good citizens” (or whatever) out of Coffman football players. Those were lies or at the very least if you want to be nice, “tall tales”.