Do you think your high school team would beat a WNBA team?

It’s amazing that you can say “good HS boys teams would beat a WNBA team” and people come back repeatedly with “elite female athletes are better than the typical boy” as if it’s relevant argument. The boys on good teams aren’t typical boys, obviously.

As far as skill, if you look at the stats of the WNBA, shooting percentage and such, they align with HS boys stats.

A good HS boys team wins and it won’t be close.

It’s amazing that you can say “good HS boys teams would beat a WNBA team” and people come back repeatedly with “elite female athletes are better than the typical boy” as if it’s relevant argument. The boys on good teams aren’t typical boys, obviously.

As far as skill, if you look at the stats of the WNBA, shooting percentage and such, they align with HS boys stats.

A good HS boys team wins and it won’t be close.

smh. Context man, context. Typical hs school boys basketball athlete. You happy? And no, the typical hs boys basketball athlete is nowhere near the speed, quickness nor basketball ability of an WNBA player, let alone have the teamwork and knowledge of the game.

And again, you seem to be defining "good" as a team that can beat a WNBA team, not "good" as in a team that beats other boy's teams. What is your definition of "good HS boys team?" Put it on the line and stop dodging. And admit, everyone has said, the top boys teams in the state would be competitive. It's only you that has to support "smokes."

Regardless, that's not the thread topic. The topic refers to ALL HS boys teams. And most of them are not "good" by any credible measure. Heck, most of the conversation on our local thread was are ANY of them good.

Last edited:
Ehhhh, in college I played a lot of high level pick up hoops at a PAC 10 college and was part of a random group of five guys who ran five players from the women’s varsity team, which reached the women’s NCAA tourney, off the court pretty easily in a game. We were playing with a regular ball, though. Not the smaller women’s version. They just weren’t strong enough, fast enough, or athletic enough to out compete young men.

Ehhhh, in college I played a lot of high level pick up hoops at a PAC 10 college and was part of a random group of five guys who ran five players from the women’s varsity team, which reached the women’s NCAA tourney, off the court pretty easily in a game. We were playing with a regular ball, though. Not the smaller women’s version. They just weren’t strong enough, fast enough, or athletic enough to out compete young men.

I don't doubt your experience. You are saying your were at a PAC 10 college playing "high level pick up hoops" so I'm doubting you were an "average" high school player?

Besides, the WNBA, like the NBA WOULD smoke any college team. It's not an apples and apples you're doing. You mostly just wanted to post to say you played a lot of high level pick up hoops at a PAC 10 college. Fess up. Well I played on the same court with some Washington Bullets and I WOULD get smoked by any women's professional basketball player, then or now. Of course, there's more to that story. :D

Seems to be a very wide variance between how different posters are defining "good". I hear "good" and my mental imagery is probably not a team with 2-3 or more high major scholarship athletes. They are likely much better than "good" for high school.

I don't doubt your experience. You are saying your were at a PAC 10 college playing "high level pick up hoops" so I'm doubting you were an "average" high school player?

Besides, the WNBA, like the NBA WOULD smoke any college team. It's not an apples and apples you're doing. You mostly just wanted to post to say you played a lot of high level pick up hoops at a PAC 10 college. Fess up. Well I played on the same court with some Washington Bullets and I WOULD get smoked by any women's professional basketball player, then or now. Of course, there's more to that story. :D
No. My experience there simply just has colored my view of women athletes ever since. It’s really the only personal experience I had and since it was shockingly easy to beat a pretty good college women’s team, I’ve just kinda become an eye roller whenever I hear the women vs men sports topic come up. Yes, WNBA would be a big step up from a college team, but a good boy’s HS team would have been a step up from the group I played with in that one game. A small sample size, I’ll admit, but it made an impact on me.

Now for a very embarrassing moment on that same court, I was in a game with several of the varsity men’s players…also an NCAA tourney team that year…and I got an offensive rebound underneath and thought about taking it right back up, but knew a guy who would later play center for a few years in the NBA was lurking somewhere unseen…so I pump faked a couple times hoping to somehow fake out the 7 footer I couldn’t see. Finally I commit to taking the ball back up and promptly have it violently blocked…more like squashed…right down on the top of my head. He had been lurking right behind my back the entire time. So I also learned that varsity men’s college players are far better than the average joe. Waaaay better.

Last edited:
Chauvinism, degradation, disrespect, ignorance and supremacy at it's finest from the usuales as usual but you guys are who you are so that's expected and you try to justify through sarcasm.....there's no way any high school male team would beat a WNBA team no matter how good the team is and the arrogant tone behind some of the comments shows the true character of your ways. To even imply that a high school coach could out coach a professional coach is a slap in the face to the profession. So on coaching alone it won't happen. The coaches at that level are elite as you can get, high school coaches are not.
Saw this and couldn't help but comment that one of the most successful WNBA coaches ever got his start out of Muskingum University as the boys basketball coach at a very rural D3 high school in central Ohio before very slowly grinding his way up the ladder through D3 OAC schools, into the MAC, and after 20+ years finally to the pros.

There are some exceptional coaches at all levels, and there are most certainly some very skilled/very successful high school coaches that would run circles around lesser professional coaches that managed the rank primarily by virtue of their playing career.

No. My experience there simply just has colored my view of women athletes ever since. It’s really the only personal experience I had and since it was shockingly easy to beat a pretty good college women’s team, I’ve just kinda become an eye roller whenever I hear the women vs men sports topic come up. Yes, WNBA would be a big step up from a college team, but a good boy’s HS team would have been a step up from the group I played with in that one game. A small sample size, I’ll admit, but it made an impact on me.

Now for a very embarrassing moment on that same court, I was in a game with several of the varsity men’s players…also an NCAA tourney team that year…and I got an offensive rebound underneath and thought about taking it right back up, but knew a guy who would later play center for a few years in the NBA was lurking somewhere unseen…so I pump faked a couple times hoping to somehow fake out the 7 footer I couldn’t see. Finally I commit to taking the ball back up and promptly have it violently blocked…more like squashed…right down on the top of my head. He had been lurking right behind my back the entire time. So I also learned that varsity men’s college players are far better than the average joe. Waaaay better.

Always beware that occasional 7 ft guy.

We had guys on the rec court could easily play on the B10 championship team. During off season they did play with the same, including the 7 footers (of which we had three). The talent is there. Discipline and so many other things needed to excel in the collge game, they didn't.

Eh, how long ago? Women's game has stepped up. It's a lot better and deeper than even 20 years ago. That's why they're paying them so high in places not United States.

How many of the 16 boys teams that were in the state final four in March be up to the task?

That might boil down to style of play? A team like a Moeller that relies more on ball movement and team play but still has normal individual athletisism, I think maybe has a better chance than even the best run and gun with high jumpers? IDK, be interesting to see.

For this year? No I don't think St I is in the hunt. They're the only top 4 DI's I saw. Not a lot of the teams are jumping out at me but I've not seen the weakest WNBA team either.

Saw this and couldn't help but comment that one of the most successful WNBA coaches ever got his start out of Muskingum University as the boys basketball coach at a very rural D3 high school in central Ohio before very slowly grinding his way up the ladder through D3 OAC schools, into the MAC, and after 20+ years finally to the pros.

There are some exceptional coaches at all levels, and there are most certainly some very skilled/very successful high school coaches that would run circles around lesser professional coaches that managed the rank primarily by virtue of their playing career.
I agree however, it seems that you are implying that coaches at the WNBA level are at the weaker level of professional coaching?

Brian Agler?

Brian Agler?
Dan Hughes...I don't believe Brian Agler ever coached high school basketball. One year stint out of college at Madison-Plains that resulted in a trip to the regionals, and a decade or so as an assistant at Mount Union and Baldwin-Wallace. He has a huge WNBA coaching tree and was involved with the women's side of USA Basketball for a long time. He's arguably made as big of an impact as anyone from a coaching standpoint in the women's professional game over the last 20+ years.

I agree however, it seems that you are implying that coaches at the WNBA level are at the weaker level of professional coaching?
Not at all...what springs to mind is a few college men's and NBA coaches that were big time players and that have been big time busts on the sidelines.

I have seen a couple high school girls who were eventual WNBA players playing in open gyms with boys high school players (none of them played in college) - on both occasions the girls were relegated to being solely jump shooters. When the games got tight the boys would pressure/bully them right off the ball and they could not get it back.

So the questions becomes how much do the girls/women improve from senior year of high school until they are playing in the WNBA......and does the improvement close the gap?

I have seen a couple high school girls who were eventual WNBA players playing in open gyms with boys high school players (none of them played in college) - on both occasions the girls were relegated to being solely jump shooters. When the games got tight the boys would pressure/bully them right off the ball and they could not get it back.

So the questions becomes how much do the girls/women improve from senior year of high school until they are playing in the WNBA......and does the improvement close the gap?

and I bet you've seen a few old farts school a few school boys. Why? They can't jump. They're not taller. They not stronger.

I'm not going to deny your experience. I've seen a few high school girls stay on the court quite well against average high school boys talent. They certainly weren't the worst ones on the court. As for ina real game? There are rules to exploit that prevent that bullying in a real game that don't exist in "open gym."

My and my kids Alma Mater would get boat raced by a WNBA team. But neither would be considered top 300 in Ohio. I think the top tiered boys in the state would beat a WNBA team
I like to look at track times when comparing elite women vs state level HS boys. Not exactly apples to apples, but what is. The women's Olympic 2020 100 meter champion ran a 10.61. Good enough for 2nd place D1 boys. The 200 and 400 meter Olympic Champs would've been 3rd and 4th place. Athing Mu,, the 800 champ, would've been 6-7 seconds behind the D1 boys champ. A good question would be 'Who would you put your money on in the D1 B ball tourney. A WNBA team or the field" I'm betting the field
Probably the field for D2 and D3 boys. D4 would be interesting in most years,except for those Va-St Joe's teams about 5-7 years ago. They would beat WNBA relatively handily

Have to through my anecdotal evidence into this one. Someone mentioned how much the game has changed for the women in the last 30 years and to that I totally agree. In high school our girls team was ranked top 10 in the nation back in the 1980's. We had the Gatorade National Player of the year or US Today Player of the year or may have been both? Anyway, I drew the assignment of guarding her in a scrimmage comprised of sophomore JV boys vs the varsity girls. It was not close but I will admit the boys had great motivation to win while the girls were not wanting to get hurt.

Fast forward to 2010-2013 . I helped coach an AAU team that was big and physical. As 8th grade boys we scrimmaged college female athletes from various schools that were home for the summer in June. Those games were competitive if we played zone, but man to uh- woman, the boys were vastly better, as in first to twenty baskets was probably 20-5.

So the question was WNBA. The player I mentioned from high school was that level of player, playing professionally in Japan for a few years. I believe if you have a team of athletic or physical males, the girls are in trouble. Most high school teams would not be that gifted, but I would certainly believe most final four teams would not go 0-4 in a best of 7 series vs a WNBA team. I would pay good money to see it for myself though.

My and my kids Alma Mater would get boat raced by a WNBA team. But neither would be considered top 300 in Ohio. I think the top tiered boys in the state would beat a WNBA team
I like to look at track times when comparing elite women vs state level HS boys. Not exactly apples to apples, but what is. The women's Olympic 2020 100 meter champion ran a 10.61. Good enough for 2nd place D1 boys. The 200 and 400 meter Olympic Champs would've been 3rd and 4th place. Athing Mu,, the 800 champ, would've been 6-7 seconds behind the D1 boys champ. A good question would be 'Who would you put your money on in the D1 B ball tourney. A WNBA team or the field" I'm betting the field
Probably the field for D2 and D3 boys. D4 would be interesting in most years,except for those Va-St Joe's teams about 5-7 years ago. They would beat WNBA relatively handily
All four runners on the 4 x 1600 meter high school boys record team have faster times than the women's world record holder for the 1600. That's just high school level vs women's world record .

All four runners on the 4 x 1600 meter high school boys record team have faster times than the women's world record holder for the 1600. That's just high school level vs women's world record .
It's called a "record" for a reason though. Most guys are no where near that record. I think most here are on the same page, it would only be the top boys teams that would have a chance. Basketball is more than speed but those pros are not slow, particularly at the guard spots. Physicality like most games would depend upon what the officiating permits.

There's no way the pros are going to risk going on record with a game against HS boys, conjecture is all we got here I suppose. Bet those boys wish they could make the money the Pros are for being "inferior."

It's called a "record" for a reason though. Most guys are no where near that record. I think most here are on the same page, it would only be the top boys teams that would have a chance. Basketball is more than speed but those pros are not slow, particularly at the guard spots. Physicality like most games would depend upon what the officiating permits.

There's no way the pros are going to risk going on record with a game against HS boys, conjecture is all we got here I suppose. Bet those boys wish they could make the money the Pros are for being "inferior."
I'm betting plenty of them play pickup games in the summer where they live locally. And AAU teams commonly play top flight girls teams when the boys are 8th - 9th grade. 10th -11th we played Dayton Flyers non starters and absolutely got clocked even though we had a size advantage.

Your right, it is all conjecture and we build our ideas off of past experiences we have witnessed. The college girls could break our zone down with little problem, but in man, and we hedge screens and give back keeping tall on tall, the boys completely dominated. So my prediction would be very few high school teams that play zone primarily would be able to defeat a WNBA team that will handle the ball, pass with precision and shoot with great accuracy.

So I'm hedging my bets, depends on how much physical advantage they have over the women. No high school team would beat a WNBA in a game of horse. Girls are superior shooters, think it may have something to do with lower muscle tone not just the smaller ball.

Your experience is 100% what mine was. I don't think that gap closes much in many respects for post players. They are still giving up 5-6 inches in height and 10" in reach to male athletes of high school age. I could not confidently answer that question for the 5'8" -6'0" female guard. My suspicion would be the 30 year old female could compete or surpass the 16-18 year old male of similar height from a skills and experience factor.

But as Crusaders points out, high school soccer athletes dominated professional women's soccer athletes and I bet that body type would be similar to guards in basketball? Someone out there has surely played pickup games vs a retired WNBA player?

They’re not inferior to other women, they are the best WOMEN players.

They’re not inferior to other women, they are the best WOMEN players.
Good point. That's what they're paid to be. I put it in quotes to compare apples and oranges. I think it reasonable to say that the WNBA is going to win regularly against all but the top, 10% to pick a number and to emphasize how good I think the boy's team would have to be.

One of my high school's teams and ummm, yes-

t-LeBrons-Band-of-Brothers-October-2009.jpg