DI State Tournament

FormerWildcat

Yappi Supporter
http://www.thisweeknews.com/content...ubov-leads-St-Charles-to-second-at-state.html

Yakubov leads St. Charles to second at state

Senior Evan Yakubov closed his high school golf career by sharing medalist honors in the Division I boys state tournament Oct. 22 at Ohio State’s Scarlet Course and helping St. Charles earn its second state runner-up finish in three seasons.

Yakubov carded a 71 to tie Cincinnati St. Xavier’s Cameron Frazier for first overall in the tournament, which was reduced to one round after the opening round Oct. 21 was canceled because of bad weather.

The Cardinals shot a 307 to finish four strokes behind champion St. Xavier (303). Dublin Jerome (308) was third in the 12-team event.

“I was happy with how I played and I was happy with the team finishing second,” Yakubov said. “This isn’t the first time I’ve played in the cold, so I think my past experience helped me.”

Jack Kozlowski and Andrew Shyu both shot 77 for St. Charles.

Blake Solomon led Jerome with a 73, tying him for third overall with Hudson’s Will Kurtz.

“I thought we played solid,” Jerome coach Craig Zesiger said. “We had a few putts that didn’t fall for us.”

Yakubov, Solomon and Westerville South’s Troy Taylor, who finished fifth with a 74, all made first-team all-state. Earning second-team all-state honors were Jerome’s Jack Herceg, who tied for sixth with a 75, and New Albany’s Logan Spiess, who tied for ninth with a 76.

Congrats to St. Xavier for winning back-to-back State Championships! Cincinnati teams swept all three divisions with McNicholas and Seven Hills earning the D2 & d3 titles as well. Congrats to all!