December 7th, 1941 A Day Of Infamy

Omega

I do not know if WW2 history is taught anymore in our schools. It would be tragic if it is not. Yet given the national split over Ukraine and the Israeli-Hamas war, I ask this questions. Would America rise in furious, righteous anger/unity against another sovereign nation that attacked any part of the homeland? Or would half the nation shrug it off blaming America for the attack rather than the nation which initiated the attack?

Reactions: y2h

Maybe you need to ask your questions of the editors and producers of the American news media, and see how they are going to play it ? Unfortunately

If you had asked those questions of me Sept 10 2001, I would def have went with "full might and fury", though. And been proven right the next day.

Are they putting something in the water ? I think maybe we scared them.

Last edited:
Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - The United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan

If we were attacked, without question some measure of our population would applaud.

Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - The United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan

If we were attacked, without question some measure of our population would applaud.
You must be speaking of the anti Ukraine crowd on the right. The folks who can’t comprehend how important the defense of Europe is to our own defense.

Visting the USS Arizona memorial is a moving experience. Highly recommend.

Years ago I got to board an aircraft carrier while docked at Pearl, and visited the memorial with a classmate who was stationed on the Carl Vinson. The next afternoon as we pulled from the dock, I stood on the deck watching my buddy and his crewmates man the rails and render a salute as they passed the Arizona. Lump in the throat, I tell ya.

I do not know if WW2 history is taught anymore in our schools. It would be tragic if it is not. Yet given the national split over Ukraine and the Israeli-Hamas war, I ask this questions. Would America rise in furious, righteous anger/unity against another sovereign nation that attacked any part of the homeland? Or would half the nation shrug it off blaming America for the attack rather than the nation which initiated the attack?

You can both blame Japan for the attack and also recognize that US policy (in accordance with FDR's desire to enter the war despite campaigning on staying out of it) forced their hand.

Years ago I got to board an aircraft carrier while docked at Pearl, and visited the memorial with a classmate who was stationed on the Carl Vinson. The next afternoon as we pulled from the dock, I stood on the deck watching my buddy and his crewmates man the rails and render a salute as they passed the Arizona. Lump in the throat, I tell ya.
That's pretty awesome.

I was fortunate enough to visit Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial when I was a teenager, but I've never been on an aircraft carrier. That would be amazing.

You must be speaking of the anti Ukraine crowd on the right. The folks who can’t comprehend how important the defense of Europe is to our own defense.
Today, I learned that the three Uki provinces that Ms Nikki Warhawk could not even name have not been permitted to vote in a Uki election for more than 10 years.

It kind of had an impact on me to see the blips of oil surface and dissipate, like the life of the ship still seeping away slowly. A Sunday morning.

I wonder if young people hearing, "..and then I got Japped by that SOB..." even understand what's being said ? Most of those uncles and grandpas have been gone a while now.

It kind of had an impact on me to see the blips of oil surface and dissipate, like the life of the ship still seeping away slowly. A Sunday morning.

I wonder if young people hearing, "..and then I got Japped by that SOB..." even understand what's being said ? Most of those uncles and grandpas have been gone a while now.
The last living WW2 vet that I knew personally died in January. He was 98. He was a close friend of my father and a friend to our entire family. He still had his wits and humor about him until the very end. He rarely talked about the war, but we know he was in Germany when the Nazis surrendered in 1945. A truly great man. One of the last of the greatest generation.

Only five Pearl Harbor vets showed up for the ceremony in Hawaii today. They were expecting six, but one could not make it.

I remember one of my Dads uncles telling me that on the morning of December 8th, he arrived at the local recruiting office at 7am and there were hundreds of men in line ahead of him.

Interesting article on the oil leaking from the USS Arizona.

Long story short, the USS Arizona was topped off the day before the attack, has leaked oil every day since and could continue to leak oil for up to 500 years.

If one has never been, it is an absolute must. I’ve been fortunate enough to go 3 times, do the all day tour if you can.

San Diego has the aircraft carrier USS Midway museum. Although the Midway is quite smaller than today’s aircraft carriers it is still quite massive and a great experience. About 10 years ago on the flight deck they had a restored Corsair fighter like the ones flown in the tv series Baa Bas Blacksheep with Greg "Pappy" Boyington.

1702049339281.png

Interesting article on the oil leaking from the USS Arizona.

Long story short, the USS Arizona was topped off the day before the attack, has leaked oil every day since and could continue to leak oil for up to 500 years.

If one has never been, it is an absolute must. I’ve been fortunate enough to go 3 times, do the all day tour if you can.

San Diego has the aircraft carrier USS Midway museum. Although the Midway is quite smaller than today’s aircraft carriers it is still quite massive and a great experience. About 10 years ago on the flight deck they had a restored Corsair fighter like the ones flown in the tv series Baa Bas Blacksheep with Greg "Pappy" Boyington.

Greta will be on a private plane to Hawaii shortly.