College Football 2021-2022

It’s pretty funny since a year ago (justifiably) a lot of Michigan fans wanted him fired. It’s feels like him leaving is payback for all the fans bashing him.
Or payback for the pay cut they made him take (justifiably also)

Or payback for the pay cut they made him take (justifiably also)
My feeling is he’s either trying to leverage these rumors for a bigger payday or he finally beat Ohio St and feels like he can ride off into the sunset having slayed the dragon.

My feeling is he’s either trying to leverage these rumors for a bigger payday or he finally beat Ohio St and feels like he can ride off into the sunset having slayed the dragon.
The former. It's about the cash.

If he goes maybe he is getting while the getting is good. Maybe like Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma before they enter the SEC. Self preservation is a natural thing.
He will leave because UM is not prepared to sell their souls.

College football as most fans know it is almost completely dead due to NIL. Texas A&M boosters are now openly doing what would have gotten them thrown in jail years ago.

Welcome to the new highest bidder and free agency College game. Zero integrity left.

He will leave because UM is not prepared to sell their souls.

College football as most fans know it is almost completely dead due to NIL. Texas A&M boosters are now openly doing what would have gotten them thrown in jail years ago.

Welcome to the new highest bidder and free agency College game. Zero integrity left.
Good, let TTUN become a second-rate program. Either you change with the times or get left behind. These NIL deals are going to help Texas, Texas A$M, USC (Riley), ND, The U (lots of money in south beach), and OSU. Big name programs with big donors. Really believe Kelley screwed up leaving ND when he did. Lots of rich Catholics.

Last edited:
Good, let TTUN become a second-rate program. Either you change with the times or get left behind. These NIL deals are going to help Texas, Texas A$M, USC (Riley), ND, The U (lots of money in south beach), and OSU. Big name programs with big donors. Really believe Kelley screwed up leaving ND when he did. Lots of rich Catholics.
I get that and agree. I do not like where the college game is heading with free agency and NIL but you are 100% right, adapt or die.

And agree on ND.

Agree. My opinion: no more athletic scholarships.
The thing that blows is 96% of college athletes do it for the education. Before NIL when spoiled kids would talk about the university exploiting their likeness I could only think - they are giving 85 kids a $200,000+ gift.

All scholarships today should come with a clause that states any sitting out of games in order to "save" themselves for the draft would mean them having to pay back the money they took to that point for the scholarship itself.

So now they get free college, all kinds of perks, can make big money, AND want to sit out if they feel like it? Who the F needs a union with conditions like this? Too much power one way IMO? The NCAA has allowed itself to get are raped. Shame.

Last night's result demonstrated beyond argument that in the Playoff era the SEC completely dominates college football. A third straight National championship from that conference. More importantly this is the 3rd DIFFERENT team from the SEC to win the national championship in 3 years. You could combine all the other Power 5 conferences and during the playoff era they have had exactly 2 champions - Ohio State & Clemson.

And with the unregulated financial incentives available to college athletes the SEC will only get stronger. A local business person with 10 million dollars sitting around will end up paying the back-up OT a million dollars to show up at a party and shake hands. The SEC will create a billion dollar payroll for players providing "personal appearances".

And all the morons who run college football, the dumbest and most corrupt cretins around, had to do to head this off was to provide reasonable & fair stipend to college athletes. Well these clowns sowed the wind now they better get ready for the whirlwind.

I don't know that I agree in regards to where things are heading with NIL. Some of the current (and occasional) SEC powers are going to have tremendous competition from schools with particularly wealthy benefactors and huge alumni and fan numbers. A&M and Texas (with any shroud of coaching competency) will compete with anyone in the SEC soon due to the $$$, and there's going to be additional recruiting pressure in that region between cash infused national brands and I think a potentially resurgent cash infused Miami program. The talent acquisition game is going to get more difficult for some of these programs as they aren't going to be able to outspend USC, Miami, Oregon, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. assuming those schools jump in and play the same game.

It looks like we are headed to the inevitable split of college football to the super league, where we have what are essentially professionals and the rest. The national championships will be open only to the super league competitors; players will jump from one team to another, depending on the money they can receive; and the rest of the poor schlubs will be left behind. Ultimately, that's what the rich schools wanted and that's what they'll get.

It looks like we are headed to the inevitable split of college football to the super league, where we have what are essentially professionals and the rest. The national championships will be open only to the super league competitors; players will jump from one team to another, depending on the money they can receive; and the rest of the poor schlubs will be left behind. Ultimately, that's what the rich schools wanted and that's what they'll get.
Yup, it's out of control if you ask me. Basketball, baseball, soccer, etc

98% of the college teams should band together and demand change or leave and/or create their own orginazation. Easier said than done right? But doable nonetheless. Give the top 4-6 teams no one to play but themselves.

Go back to pre-transfer portal and NIL days. Keep amateur in college athletics.

Texas A&M is openly doing what got SMU the death sentence years ago. Their boosters are offering recruits millions through NIL to attend A&M.

This is A&M's class. Six 5 Star recruits and Eighteen 4 Star recruits. That is INSANE.

And for those of you who do not think talent matters it does. It matters more today than ever. Bama and Georgia were the top two talented teams this season.

Last edited:
98% of the college teams should band together and demand change or leave and/or create their own orginazation. Easier said than done right? But doable nonetheless. Give the top 4-6 teams no one to play but themselves.

Go back to pre-transfer portal and NIL days. Keep amateur in college athletics.

Texas A&M is openly doing what got SMU the death sentence years ago. Their boosters are offering recruits millions through NIL to attend A&M.

This is A&M's class. Six 5 Star recruits and Eighteen 4 Star recruits. That is INSANE.

And for those of you who do not think talent matters it does. It matters more today than ever. Bama and Georgia are the top two talented teams.
So if we go backward, are you okay with these institutions continuing to make $$$ hand over fist on the backs of the athletes? We'll just go back to handing kids the bag under the table I guess. But at least we can pretend it doesn't exist again.

So if we go backward, are you okay with these institutions continuing to make $$$ hand over fist on the backs of the athletes? We'll just go back to handing kids the bag under the table I guess. But at least we can pretend it doesn't exist again.
I think there has to be a better solution. 95% of college athletes will not see a dime off of NIL.

And at least it was difficult to do the "bag under the table."

IMO the University gives each kid a roughly $200,000 gift in a scholarship. I'm not cheering on the Universities either, but what we have now is bad and will only get worse. Right now 95% of schools never have a shot to win a championship. With this stuff up that to about 98/99%.

Mark my words, this is going to get really bad and will have to be reigned in.

I think there has to be a better solution. 95% of college athletes will not see a dime off of NIL.

And at least it was difficult to do the "bag under the table."

IMO the University gives each kid a roughly $200,000 gift in a scholarship. I'm not cheering on the Universities either, but what we have now is bad and will only get worse.
I agree whole-heartedly that a nuanced course correction should be the aim. I'm hopeful that the market will correct itself as things settle, if they do. I think business owners/booster will begin to weigh the risk/reward of some of these initial investments. Some will pay off, and some will not (*see Quinn Ewers & Spenser Rattler). The portal may be a bit trickier given the timing of the early signing period and the move for coaches to bail earlier & earlier in the season.

Rutgers in financial trouble.

According to the video, Rutgers is now receiving it's full cut from the Big 10 ($55M vs $10M). And, it sounds like the university may end of forgiving loans given to the athletics department. I imagine more than one person at SUNJ has been/still is sweating bullets in Joisey these past several years. ?

According to the video, Rutgers is now receiving it's full cut from the Big 10 ($55M vs $10M). And, it sounds like the university may end of forgiving loans given to the athletics department. I imagine more than one person at SUNJ has been/still is sweating bullets in Joisey these past several years. ?
This is going to become a very big problem as the lessor universities try to keep up with the OSU's and UM's. Greg Schiano makes $4,000,000 paid for by New Jersey taxpayers.

University president Jonathan Holloway has said that athletics' continued operating deficits — and borrowing from the university to cover them — is “unsustainable.” He said he is “absolutely” considering forgiving those loans. A Rutgers athletics spokesman said Tuesday that no decision has been made.
They forgive one loan they had better forgive them all.

OSU sports lose money.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t open the link. But Jerry Emig, OSU’s SID tweeted the real number is about $41m as they made some large one time payments to reduce capital loan balances on 2 completed venues, which will of course reduce interest expenses in the future.