Club Soccer Updates for HS Aged Boys

So about this 06 CUP team … 45 wins and 6 losses the past 2 years. Only 2 of their losses were by more than 1 goal. Back to back 20+ win seasons with 22 shut outs this year. Their starters only gave up 5 goals all year (16 in total with substitutions and injuries in 32 games). At Nationals they went unbeaten and gave up only 1 goal vs. 5 teams ranked in the top 25 in the country, including the #1 team in the country (Miami Breakers) and the 2021 USYS National Runner-Ups (Nationals from MI), who was also a quarter-finalist in the ECNL Finals. It was a truly incredible run and they will be even better next year. They arguably have the best team defense in the country.

So about this 06 CUP team … 45 wins and 6 losses the past 2 years. Only 2 of their losses were by more than 1 goal. Back to back 20+ win seasons with 22 shut outs this year. Their starters only gave up 5 goals all year (16 in total with substitutions and injuries in 32 games). At Nationals they went unbeaten and gave up only 1 goal vs. 5 teams ranked in the top 25 in the country, including the #1 team in the country (Miami Breakers) and the 2021 USYS National Runner-Ups (Nationals from MI), who was also a quarter-finalist in the ECNL Finals. It was a truly incredible run and they will be even better next year. They arguably have the best team defense in the country.
With the new format of the CUP teams for the coming year, does this team look the same?

Yes. All the key contributors are returning and they are adding a couple of players too. This will be a much deeper team. I think the coaching staff turns over every 2 years for development purposes, so that will be a significant loss and will require an adjustment. What’s funny is the 06 CUP class was never held in high regard as compared to the ‘01-‘05 classes and especially the ‘04s. yet, the 06s were the one to win the title. These boys are selfless and have a ton of brief and talent. They are a true team. It also helped having a coach that fully believed in them and didn’t buy into the narrative above. The coaching staff did excellent work with these guys the past 2 years.

Yes. All the key contributors are returning and they are adding a couple of players too. This will be a much deeper team. I think the coaching staff turns over every 2 years for development purposes, so that will be a significant loss and will require an adjustment. What’s funny is the 06 CUP class was never held in high regard as compared to the ‘01-‘05 classes and especially the ‘04s. yet, the 06s were the one to win the title. These boys are selfless and have a ton of brief and talent. They are a true team. It also helped having a coach that fully believed in them and didn’t buy into the narrative above. The coaching staff did excellent work with these guys the past 2 years.
I don't buy into your notion that the 06 group wasn't held in high regard compared to any of the other years. I've been with CU/CUP for over a decade now, particularly around the age groups you're mentioning. So I've seen many of these kids for a while now, some even as far back as the juniors program.

Also, what you've said about that 06 group can honestly be said about every other CUP age group. I'm not going to take anything away from them winning the National title, but it's like a state championship for school. It's an incredible achievement, that takes a special group to make happen, but a team not winning it doesn't necessarily mean that team didn't posses the same attributes. Winning a national club title, similar to a school state title, takes everything you've already said, as well good timing, injuries (or lack there of), and little luck sprinkled in as well. Things you don't necessarily have control over.

Again, I have no idea what this team will actually look like for the coming year. The new structure of teams for CUP plays a part in that. They will probably see a larger amount of kids coming back from FCC as well, and someone mentioned an influx of more Dayton area players. While adding more talent is never a bad thing, chemistry is something that can take time to develop, and they only have half a year to make that gel.

They added another stud GK who will join the National’s Golden Glove winner. They also added the top scorer from the offside trap ridden team who will join a lethal attack, and two other midfielders that will provide depth. Their energy with the pickups will continue a relentless press. Looking from the outside in, it’s apparent State Cup and Regionals were merely warmup games for Nationals. People may say what they want but no one locally will challenge CUP 06 consistently. Galaxies and Metro combine, but they couple some decent players with some decent players. No standouts. CUP should on paper roll E64 next year. I’m sure they’ll make a deep run in the E64 playoff as well as possibly run it back for Nationals.

I don't buy into your notion that the 06 group wasn't held in high regard compared to any of the other years. I've been with CU/CUP for over a decade now, particularly around the age groups you're mentioning. So I've seen many of these kids for a while now, some even as far back as the juniors program.

Also, what you've said about that 06 group can honestly be said about every other CUP age group. I'm not going to take anything away from them winning the National title, but it's like a state championship for school. It's an incredible achievement, that takes a special group to make happen, but a team not winning it doesn't necessarily mean that team didn't posses the same attributes. Winning a national club title, similar to a school state title, takes everything you've already said, as well good timing, injuries (or lack there of), and little luck sprinkled in as well. Things you don't necessarily have control over.

Again, I have no idea what this team will actually look like for the coming year. The new structure of teams for CUP plays a part in that. They will probably see a larger amount of kids coming back from FCC as well, and someone mentioned an influx of more Dayton area players. While adding more talent is never a bad thing, chemistry is something that can take time to develop, and they only have half a year to make that gel.
It’s nothing like winning a State Championship in High School. You’re playing one State, not 50. They beat the #1 team in the nation and arguably 3 others in the top 15. Miami Breakers, KC Galacticos, drew JB Marine who won NL Pro, and Nationals who were finalists last year. They beat damn good teams. Also, I do get your point on injuries, and without their FCC center back, they probably would have won regionals too. They won’t get any FCC kids back, that age group is on the older side of the U17 group now, so they’ll play a lot and frankly there’s only two left.

It’s nothing like winning a State Championship in High School. You’re playing one State, not 50. They beat the #1 team in the nation and arguably 3 others in the top 15. Miami Breakers, KC Galacticos, drew JB Marine who won NL Pro, and Nationals who were finalists last year. They beat damn good teams. Also, I do get your point on injuries, and without their FCC center back, they probably would have won regionals too. They won’t get any FCC kids back, that age group is on the older side of the U17 group now, so they’ll play a lot and frankly there’s only two left.
You're missing my point, but I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

Didn't read all this but some good stuff.

Don't forget this kind of thing takes an incredible amount of commitment and money from parents as well.

I can't imagine the sum total that parents put forth in time and money in order for these things to happen.

Didn't read all this but some good stuff.

Don't forget this kind of thing takes an incredible amount of commitment and money from parents as well.

I can't imagine the sum total that parents put forth in time and money in order for these things to happen.

I've tried not to add it up. :oops:

And my son's teams haven't even made it past regional competitions. But all the trips to places like Florida and Arizona for showcases add up quickly.

Well said.

This team deserves its flowers on a REMARKABLE achievement! So cool to have the kind of representation in our area on the national scale.

But hard to think about next year man - especially if coaching turns over and a couple players enter/exit. Can't underestimate the value of getting the vibe right with roles, chemistry and hunger to chase another star. The wolf on top of the hill ain't as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill.

I've tried not to add it up. :oops:

And my son's teams haven't even made it past regional competitions. But all the trips to places like Florida and Arizona for showcases add up quickly.
Both of my sons dipped early from club after getting tired of all the travel. We found other avenues to keep training that worked out pretty well.

heard whispers from a parent of a kid that graduated from the program that CUP has finally taken a stance and Adams Johnson is no longer with the club. They made the right choice in my opinion. time to move on.