Canton Central Catholic @ St. Thomas Aquinas

Who wins?

• Total voters
I appreciate your malapropisms (just learned this word 😛) that distinctively remind me of Leo Gorcey as Aloysius "Slip" Mahoney in the Bowery Boys television/movie gang. Perhaps this is your goal. Either way, it brings back good memories (aside from the sexual innuendo parts you add to the mix).
CRUDOG--

Smoove loves you name and your commentations. Sorry to commentate that Smoove have no ultravisionary motivation to be like, replicatate, duplicate, nor mutilate any other peoples. TO be absolutely honestified, Smoove don't even know, nor have Smoove heard of the Bowery Boys. Were they a group of ballers from Bowery Street in Akron? Smoove have no clue! Keep bringin' the love and peace, tho, Smoove's bruthah!!

CRUDOG--

Smoove loves you name and your commentations. Sorry to commentate that Smoove have no ultravisionary motivation to be like, replicatate, duplicate, nor mutilate any other peoples. TO be absolutely honestified, Smoove don't even know, nor have Smoove heard of the Bowery Boys. Were they a group of ballers from Bowery Street in Akron? Smoove have no clue! Keep bringin' the love and peace, tho, Smoove's bruthah!!
No. It would be cool if they were from Akron. There's a longer history, but it was a comedic group that made up a fictional gang from the Bowery neighborhood in NYC. They made a ton of movies in the 40s and 50s. I'm not that old, but I watched the reruns as a kid on Saturday mornings/afternoons. It was the usual suspects that included the dopey, funny guy and the straight man who was the leader of the gang. Although the leader was the straight guy, he wasn't very intelligent; thus, he constantly used malapropisms (big words that didn't exist) to appear smart to his dumber gang members. This made him equally as funny as the dopey guy. His character name was Aloysius Mahoney, nicknamed Slip.
Side note: to this day to separate my common, boring name from others, when I place a pick-up order or make reservations, I use the name Aloysius. Yes, I entertain myself. 😂

Wouldn't surprise me. I hear they may have less than 30 seniors in the school this year. What are Central's enrollment figures like these days? From the OHSAA enrollment figures, it looks like around 70-75 per grade the past couple years?

I have no idea what's going on in Stark County, but it makes no sense to me for your county's 2 Catholic high schools to have maybe 100 kids total (boys and girls) per grade.

Stark County is not a small county population-wise. Summit County is larger, but our Catholic high schools have upwards of 650-700 kids per grade combined (STVM, Walsh, Hoban)...175-250 per grade depending on the school. Summit shouldn't have 6-7 times the number of Catholic high school students as Stark County...under any circumstances.
Aquinas has their own set of issues which I’m not going to touch on, but I can speak to some of the issues Central faces. For starters, the feeder schools are getting smaller. St Joe’s, St Barb’s, and St Clements have closed. St Mary’s isn’t anywhere the size it was. The two biggest schools are St Mike’s and St Paul’s. The problem there is that most of those kids reside in Jackson and North Canton which are two of the best public schools in the state. Lots of parents don’t want to spend the money when they have excellent public education options. Central also isn’t cheap (well what private school is anymore.) They’ve priced themselves out of many of the blue-collar families that was the base of Central since it opened in the 40’s. I’d love to see them leave the Diocese and build on the model of Hoban, St V’s, Ed’s, etc. No reason to share money with the rest of the schools. I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Aquinas has their own set of issues which I’m not going to touch on, but I can speak to some of the issues Central faces. For starters, the feeder schools are getting smaller. St Joe’s, St Barb’s, and St Clements have closed. St Mary’s isn’t anywhere the size it was. The two biggest schools are St Mike’s and St Paul’s. The problem there is that most of those kids reside in Jackson and North Canton which are two of the best public schools in the state. Lots of parents don’t want to spend the money when they have excellent public education options. Central also isn’t cheap (well what private school is anymore.) They’ve priced themselves out of many of the blue-collar families that was the base of Central since it opened in the 40’s. I’d love to see them leave the Diocese and build on the model of Hoban, St V’s, Ed’s, etc. No reason to share money with the rest of the schools. I doubt it will happen anytime soon.
Aren’t those all Cleveland Diocese schools though?

Yes. The only schools that are using the Diocesan “system” that I can think of are Cleveland CC and Trinity. Both of which are in bad shape financially.
ah ok. I guess I didn't realize not following the diocese was even an option. I knew Walsh Jesuit and Ignatius obviously didn't being Jesuit schools, but I assumed Diocesan schools were going to be ran by the diocese.

ah ok. I guess I didn't realize not following the diocese was even an option. I knew Walsh Jesuit and Ignatius obviously didn't being Jesuit schools, but I assumed Diocesan schools were going to be ran by the diocese.
I know that Hoban is run by the Holy Cross brothers, or has been traditionally, and St. V's is a Marianist school, so they have no diocese affiliation. Aquinas and Central by contrast have always been under the Youngstown Diocese umbrella, as well as Mooney, Ursuline, Warren JFK and Ashtabula St. John. You can break away and be self sustaining, but you also lose your Diocesan assessment. Of course, in the case of St. V-M, they also have some guy who was pretty good at basketball who can write them checks with lots of zeroes at the end!

STA destroyed their program hiring burick. It’ll take a long time to build back unfortunately.
There have been numerous factors that have caused Aquinas to be in the football predicament that they are in, and none of them had anything to do with hiring Troy Burick. Between the closing of its elementary schools that once fed into the high school, to the decline of Stark County's population, to the increased costs of obtaining a Catholic education, to the rise and attractiveness of neighboring public school districts who offer better and more modern sports facilities (after passing levies) and outstanding curriculums to go with safe school environments...all of this has contributed to the state STA finds itself in today. It is way, way more than just hiring a football coach who only lasted two seasons when the challenges I listed here go back several decades.

Also, St Thomas Aquinas would get a number of parochial school students from Portage County. Many of those schools have also closed, parishes closed ,merged and population dwindling.

Not really. Crusaders aren't world beaters right now. STA has just fallen so far so fast (it could just as easily have happened at CCC if the leadership roles were switched). Hope they can get it heading the other way to where people aren't having to pretend that they're excited about this game.

As for why STA and TCC don't play, all I can say is scheduling is hard. Both schools are in leagues, so that cuts the number of available dates down right away. Maybe they'll eventually get something done. Both programs are at the point where they need to schedule teams they can beat as opposed to .500 teams that can still name the score against them. There are a few other programs in the area that are in that same boat (Minerva, Strasburg, Leetonia, Coventry, and Springfield).
Aquinas has never played TCC in its history in football. They played in basketball as recently as last season. Minerva would be an excellent addition, if for no other reason, somebody would have to win! They played in years gone by when both programs were very good. STA played Coventry and Springfield briefly in the 90's, scrimmaged Strasburg this year and lost and has never played Leetonia in football. The biggest problem is the closing of STA's traditional elementary schools, coupled with the fact that they reside in a 'big school' county like Stark. This isn't Mahoning or Trumbull. In Stark, Aquinas is only a short drive away from such schools as Lake, Hoover, GlenOak, Marlington, and if you really want to go...Hoban or Jackson. All of those schools are bigger and have more modern, updated and attractive athletic facilities. As a result, that leads to more stability because coaches and athletes like what they see. STA needs to raise money...lots of it! And it can't pass a school levy. On the positive side, they have upgraded their gymnasium with a new floor, new scoreboards are coming and the old bleachers were replaced several years ago. But there is still much to be done. The turf in the stadium is the same one that was laid when Sirpilla Stadium opened in 2005. I'm told those wear out after ten years. That means it needed replaced eight years ago! Who is going to pay for it? All I'm trying to say is that the challenges facing Aquinas go a lot deeper than who the principal is or who is coaching the football team. I think they have stabilized that now with their new administration and with Coach Henderson.

Cleveland Browns ca npay for it! Smoove appreciates al of your information and diligenctification on this topic. Smoove did not know abotu all the Dioceseans and stuff, Smoove only heard of Cesarean Disection, or somethin' along those there lineages. Kudos to you knightforlife72 for edumacating Smoove and many other fascinating intellectualized peoples on here. We definitely appreciate the appreciation you bring. Straight up, STRONG!!! Smoove out!

Cleveland Browns ca npay for it! Smoove appreciates al of your information and diligenctification on this topic. Smoove did not know abotu all the Dioceseans and stuff, Smoove only heard of Cesarean Disection, or somethin' along those there lineages. Kudos to you knightforlife72 for edumacating Smoove and many other fascinating intellectualized peoples on here. We definitely appreciate the appreciation you bring. Straight up, STRONG!!! Smoove out!
That would be really nice of the Browns to pay for a new turf at Aquinas. My understanding is that's how Cleveland Central Catholic got its new turf a few years back. But I'm sure somebody there had a connection to the Cleveland Browns and the school is located in Cleveland. STA is 60 miles south and I don't think anyone there has any connection to the Browns or anybody else. You know anybody with deep pockets? If you do, let me know!

I went to a Catholic schools all the way through High School. Things have changed a lot since then.
I look at the opportunities academically my kids had at public school compared to what I had, and it's not even close. They had way more opportunities. More opportunities to take high level classes along with a variety of classes. My neighbors son is in 7th grade taking high school and college classes. He will graduate with probably close to 30 or more college hours. That will save a lot of money down the road.
My nieces and nephews started out in Catholic schools through 6th grade. My brother and sister in law said they noticed a major difference in the schools especially with teacher expectations academically. The expectations were higher at the public school. Looking back on it they wish they would have started them out at the local public school.
My brother thought part of it was the teachers were younger at the public school. You don't realize it as a kid but a lot of my teachers were in their 60s still teaching. I'm not sure why they teach so much longer, but I do think having a younger staff does help.
Talking with STA alum and families I know most aren't happy with the voucher. They have said the voucher families don't help raise money and they want everything handed to them. But that's their opinion.
Things have changed and the diocese needs to learn to change with it. Paying teachers more to attract younger teachers, buying out older teachers, updating the facilities. I look at the two new elementary building in the district I live in and they are amazing. I think doing this would help a lot. They could close 2 or 3 of the local Catholic elementaries and Build new one that could hose all those students.

I went to a Catholic schools all the way through High School. Things have changed a lot since then.
I look at the opportunities academically my kids had at public school compared to what I had, and it's not even close. They had way more opportunities. More opportunities to take high level classes along with a variety of classes. My neighbors son is in 7th grade taking high school and college classes. He will graduate with probably close to 30 or more college hours. That will save a lot of money down the road.
My nieces and nephews started out in Catholic schools through 6th grade. My brother and sister in law said they noticed a major difference in the schools especially with teacher expectations academically. The expectations were higher at the public school. Looking back on it they wish they would have started them out at the local public school.
My brother thought part of it was the teachers were younger at the public school. You don't realize it as a kid but a lot of my teachers were in their 60s still teaching. I'm not sure why they teach so much longer, but I do think having a younger staff does help.
Talking with STA alum and families I know most aren't happy with the voucher. They have said the voucher families don't help raise money and they want everything handed to them. But that's their opinion.
Things have changed and the diocese needs to learn to change with it. Paying teachers more to attract younger teachers, buying out older teachers, updating the facilities. I look at the two new elementary building in the district I live in and they are amazing. I think doing this would help a lot. They could close 2 or 3 of the local Catholic elementaries and Build new one that could hose all those students.
Well, in many ways, I'm the wrong person to ask because I don't have kids and am not putting anyone through school. Interesting though, because when I was in school, it was a complete reversal from what you said. The Catholic school standards at STA and others were higher than the public schools. In fact, I will never forget that I had the exact same Spanish textbook my freshman year at Kent State that I had my JUNIOR year at Aquinas! But I admit, that was 50 years ago! I have heard the same lament from STA alumni that you have. Voucher families don't raise money because they don't have it! Usually not the kind that folds anyway, with maybe a few exceptions. Unlike previous Aquinas families and generations, they did not grow up in the Catholic school system, and many of them didn't even know they'd attend Aquinas one day. They haven't bought in and are not invested in the school the same way because it was not in their background or upbringing. Catholic education is either a part of who you are, or it isn't. Yes, the diocese has to change because the world has changed. Paying more teachers and getting younger ones sounds good, but the fact is public schools can pay more and have a much better retirement system than Catholic schools do. I saw that first hand, as Aquinas has had many young teachers and coaches on staff over the years and most all of them left for the public schools for the reasons I just stated. If you want, I could rattle off the names! And nobody is eager to build new Catholic schools when they are upgrading what they already have if they stay open. And again, who would pay for the new buildings that go up? You can't pass a levy! Most of what I hear on this subject seems sound on the surface. But once you start peeling back the onion and consider the costs involved and where the money would come from, it's just not practical.

Not really. Crusaders aren't world beaters right now. STA has just fallen so far so fast (it could just as easily have happened at CCC if the leadership roles were switched). Hope they can get it heading the other way to where people aren't having to pretend that they're excited about this game.

As for why STA and TCC don't play, all I can say is scheduling is hard. Both schools are in leagues, so that cuts the number of available dates down right away. Maybe they'll eventually get something done. Both programs are at the point where they need to schedule teams they can beat as opposed to .500 teams that can still name the score against them. There are a few other programs in the area that are in that same boat (Minerva, Strasburg, Leetonia, Coventry, and Springfield).
I've said this before but schools like Minerva, Springfield, Tuslaw, etc should create their own little 4 team round robin in preseason play so they can all play programs in similar positions LOL.

I've said this before but schools like Minerva, Springfield, Tuslaw, etc should create their own little 4 team round robin in preseason play so they can all play programs in similar positions LOL.
I don't think the OHSAA would approve that but the ADs should get together and do something in the regular season.

That would be really nice of the Browns to pay for a new turf at Aquinas. My understanding is that's how Cleveland Central Catholic got its new turf a few years back. But I'm sure somebody there had a connection to the Cleveland Browns and the school is located in Cleveland. STA is 60 miles south and I don't think anyone there has any connection to the Browns or anybody else. You know anybody with deep pockets? If you do, let me know!
Smoove know the Browns put field turf in at Ellet, Buchtel, and even at Hoban within last 4 years, they do it for more places up in CLE. Smoove believe they do at least 1 every year. STA shoudl reach out to say "What up, Mr. Petroleum MAn, Rip-off Artist?!" LOL, Smoove crack hisself up!
Any how, Smoove don't think Smoove gonna make it to some concessionary standifications tomorrow night. Smoove have some important decisionations to be made. Life been throwin' Smoove a few twisties, turnies, and just plain knuckleballs, y'all! Now, befoe y'all start to frettify and go all "Smoove Ex-Chickie-Like", Smoove gonna be ahhright. Just some minor surgicallation need to be done to make sure Smoove gonna be able to keep all y'all entermataindified. Please, Smoove will be puttin' all the glorification to Smoove's Lord and Savior during the upcoming time when Smoove will be gettin' objectified, proddified, and ummmm, well, Smoove will just leave it at that.
With the good Lord's assistimication and all of y'allz prayers, Smoove will be back to visit some concessionary stands by week 3 of the playoffs. SO all of you other fanatical peeps of the concessionary stadifications, don't be takin' all the sweet chickies.....leave some for Smoove when Smoove back as good as new and can get back to poundin' like Smoove do. Smoove figure at that point, Hoban will have D-stroyified Ellet, Massillon prolly have de-mannified whoever it is that dares front them up, and then Smoove can get to some of the non-partiallized sites for the 3rd roundation of games.
Much love to y'all, Happy Halloween, Good Luck to all the RILL PLAYOFF TEAMS, y'all know who you is, and just try to keep Smoove and all of Smoove's Peace, Love, and POUNDIN' in a small part of y'allz minds and prayers for the next few days, yo. Smoove will appreciate ALL of the appreciation and even those of y'all that don't 'GET" Smoove, Smoove don't hate y'all. Smoove don't got no time nor no persuasiveness for y'all. Smoove is who Smoove be. Plain and simple, like a bagel. Plain and simplified, although, Smoove would like some of that maple cream cheese and some of those little sesame seedies on Smoove's bagel, but Smoove gotted digressed. Just be good to all y'all, bring peace and kindnessification to each other and y'allz communities and nayborhoods, yo! It really ain't hard to be like Smoove: good person; handsome as all get-up, get-back, get-down and get-around, y'all; spreadin' Peace, kindness, love, and lots of other thingies too (Ohhh yeah, Smoove does!!!), and just a typical person who want to bring joy to the peeps, some intellectualization and even entermatainment to the Yappsters up in here.
In closin', Smoove appreciates all y'all appreciation, and while y'all enjoyin' those games this weekend, if y'all could just say a small little prayer, a little shout-out for Smoove, Smoove love it. IF y'all can't do that, it all good, though, Smoove hope you get to POUND in the stead, though. THAT would be GOOD and might even help Smoove out even more knowin' someone havin' a GOOD TIME UP IN HERE!!!! Smoove out!

Smoove know the Browns put field turf in at Ellet, Buchtel, and even at Hoban within last 4 years, they do it for more places up in CLE. Smoove believe they do at least 1 every year. STA shoudl reach out to say "What up, Mr. Petroleum MAn, Rip-off Artist?!" LOL, Smoove crack hisself up!
Any how, Smoove don't think Smoove gonna make it to some concessionary standifications tomorrow night. Smoove have some important decisionations to be made. Life been throwin' Smoove a few twisties, turnies, and just plain knuckleballs, y'all! Now, befoe y'all start to frettify and go all "Smoove Ex-Chickie-Like", Smoove gonna be ahhright. Just some minor surgicallation need to be done to make sure Smoove gonna be able to keep all y'all entermataindified. Please, Smoove will be puttin' all the glorification to Smoove's Lord and Savior during the upcoming time when Smoove will be gettin' objectified, proddified, and ummmm, well, Smoove will just leave it at that.
With the good Lord's assistimication and all of y'allz prayers, Smoove will be back to visit some concessionary stands by week 3 of the playoffs. SO all of you other fanatical peeps of the concessionary stadifications, don't be takin' all the sweet chickies.....leave some for Smoove when Smoove back as good as new and can get back to poundin' like Smoove do. Smoove figure at that point, Hoban will have D-stroyified Ellet, Massillon prolly have de-mannified whoever it is that dares front them up, and then Smoove can get to some of the non-partiallized sites for the 3rd roundation of games.
Much love to y'all, Happy Halloween, Good Luck to all the RILL PLAYOFF TEAMS, y'all know who you is, and just try to keep Smoove and all of Smoove's Peace, Love, and POUNDIN' in a small part of y'allz minds and prayers for the next few days, yo. Smoove will appreciate ALL of the appreciation and even those of y'all that don't 'GET" Smoove, Smoove don't hate y'all. Smoove don't got no time nor no persuasiveness for y'all. Smoove is who Smoove be. Plain and simple, like a bagel. Plain and simplified, although, Smoove would like some of that maple cream cheese and some of those little sesame seedies on Smoove's bagel, but Smoove gotted digressed. Just be good to all y'all, bring peace and kindnessification to each other and y'allz communities and nayborhoods, yo! It really ain't hard to be like Smoove: good person; handsome as all get-up, get-back, get-down and get-around, y'all; spreadin' Peace, kindness, love, and lots of other thingies too (Ohhh yeah, Smoove does!!!), and just a typical person who want to bring joy to the peeps, some intellectualization and even entermatainment to the Yappsters up in here.
In closin', Smoove appreciates all y'all appreciation, and while y'all enjoyin' those games this weekend, if y'all could just say a small little prayer, a little shout-out for Smoove, Smoove love it. IF y'all can't do that, it all good, though, Smoove hope you get to POUND in the stead, though. THAT would be GOOD and might even help Smoove out even more knowin' someone havin' a GOOD TIME UP IN HERE!!!! Smoove out!
Well, that's good to know! I didn't know that the Browns put in field turfs for Ellet, Buchtel and Hoban. That would be worth finding out, as whom STA needs to talk to in order to make that happen because I'd be willing to bet the turf is more worn out at Sirpilla Stadium than it was at these other schools.

Well, that's good to know! I didn't know that the Browns put in field turfs for Ellet, Buchtel and Hoban. That would be worth finding out, as whom STA needs to talk to in order to make that happen because I'd be willing to bet the turf is more worn out at Sirpilla Stadium than it was at these other schools.
knight--
Smoove believe you, Smoove's bruthah, Smoove was last at the STA field abouts 10 years ago and it was nice. If it still the same turf, it gonna look badder than one of Smoove's old-time chickies from the early 90's. No one want to play on that turf no more. Smoove wish you and the STA community Good Luck in gettin' that turf done replaced. Preach it!