any good prospects goin to notre dame?

any good prospects goin to notre dame bc i think they were gonna get a lot of ppl but then big willingham got fired and i remember they got that walker guy as a HB who was a beast against michigan.

Kallen Wade, DE from Withrow

Zach Frasier (one of the top 10 qb's available, maybe top 5).

a very solid running back whose name eludes me at the moment, check an ND message board.

ND will prob. get a top ten recruiting class this year judging from all the early interest in ND and coach Weis, that plus Weis will experience the recruiting success enjoyed by most second-year coaches.

While Florida has a large wealth of talent, that doesn't mean a team MUST have a lot of Fl. players to succeed. Ohio St. has only a few, they've fared well over the past few seasons.

USC has less Florida players than ND, likewise Oklahoma. Granted all three of these teams recruit from fertile ground, but it goes to show not all top talent comes from Florida.

ND has in the past and continues to get talented players from Ohio, California, Pennsylvania, and Texas, all strong recruiting states.

There is talent in Chicago as well, which has recently fed Iowa's rise. Not to mention New Jersey, which Miami Fl has done a nice job of mining for talent. Weis seems to be establishing strong ties to those areas.

Floriday would be nice to get a foothold in, I'll concede. But it is not imperative that they do so if they recruit well in other strong areas. All indications are that is happening.

Oh of course, i am not discounting that and i should have mentioned Texas and Cali. i forgot about those two...but i think the southern speed is important, especially for ND, just my opinion...

PanthaBrotha4 said:
but gatorfan, they wont get kids from FLA, which i think is crucial to building a program....
Why's that?

USC has 1 player from Florida. They're pretty good. Oklahoma has 4. Michigan has 2. Texas has 0. Ohio State has 2. Seems like its actually not crucial to builidng a program.

USC also has a stronghold on Cali....Oklahoma has their foot in the door at Texas and Michigan recruits nationally....

those are all big states as well as Florida....

My point is look at Miami back in the early 00-01-02 they go all their players from Florida (reed, taylor, etc) and now they have started to go national which is hurting them a TON imho....

FSU and UF are starting to get back to the talent level they enjoyed throughout the mid 90's also with the help of the state of Florida, now molding that talent is a different issue though....

PanthaBrotha4 said:
USC also has a stronghold on Cali....Oklahoma has their foot in the door at Texas and Michigan recruits nationally....

those are all big states as well as Florida....

My point is look at Miami back in the early 00-01-02 they go all their players from Florida (reed, taylor, etc) and now they have started to go national which is hurting them a TON imho....

FSU and UF are starting to get back to the talent level they enjoyed throughout the mid 90's also with the help of the state of Florida, now molding that talent is a different issue though....
I'm failing to see how recruting nationally would hurt you.

BC UM is missing out local prospects that are now starting to go to FSU and UF....

Just watch, this year and next it will start to affect Coker and he will be canned b/c he is starting to neglect Dade County...

Pantha, you hit the nail on the head with speed. ND does need an infusion of speed. They have some speed, but they are not deep in it team-wide. Florida is definately one of the better places to shop for speed.

I might get slammed for this post, but I still think Notre Dame has been offering way too many "marginal" type of players this early on in recruiting season by Weiss and his staff...

For example, Kallen Wade. Wade is a good-solid Big East / Mid-Tier Big Ten recruit (Boston College, Illinois type), but if Notre Dame is hoping to get back to "their standards" I dont know if that is a guy you offer that early in the process. Just my opinion.

Also, one school that really can recruit nationally that isn't mentioned here is Tennessee. I dont think anyone does a better job of recruiting "nationally" than Tennessee and Michigan, and it is a must because the in-state talent for both of those schools is not always the best...

Wade reminds me a lot of Justin Tuck who came into ND a bit lean and raw but was very athletic. Tuck was not a highly ranked player. He was recruited for natural athletic ability.

I'm kicking myself for not remembering where, but I saw a site do a breakdown of to top rated guys from a class a few years ago and broke them down into booms and busts. Many DE's busted. Someone noted how many of the best pass rushing DE's in college come in as underrated athletic guys. That's what I'm hoping ND has in Wade.

He has been rated by at least one site as a top 25 guy in Ohio, though. That can't be too bad.

Of the other guys ND has committed so far, all but maybe one will be 4 or 5 star guys. (And not by Lemming, who even I discount as biased). The other is a WR with very good speed who comes from a very small school.

You are spot on about Tennessee and their ability to recuit nationally. I'm surprised that HS football isn't better in TN, as the state is nuts about UT football.

Good point on Tuck. He has become an absolute monster. I definitely consider Wade a Top 25 prospect in Ohio. As I said he would be a very good coup for a Big East type of program, but again I dont know if he is the type of player Notre Dame needs to get back to their level of expectations. He could be, I guess I am just surprised they offered him this early in the process...

The problem with the state of Tennessee's lack of football talent all starts in their middle school and youth leagues, the youth and middle school leagues down there are absolutely horrible and so dis-organized it is unbelievable.

I agree that the state should produce a LOT more top flight prospects, especially in the Nashville and Memphis areas. The population in those areas are absolutely booming, especially in Middle Tennessee, and if they ever get the youth football organized and up to par with other states they will, in my opinion produce similar talent year in and year out to say a state like Georgia or Louisiana...I do think the talent has improved quite a bit over the past decade, but it is still not up to par with the rest of the southern states...

Don Flamenco said:
I might get slammed for this post, but I still think Notre Dame has been offering way too many "marginal" type of players this early on in recruiting season by Weiss and his staff...

For example, Kallen Wade. Wade is a good-solid Big East / Mid-Tier Big Ten recruit (Boston College, Illinois type), but if Notre Dame is hoping to get back to "their standards" I dont know if that is a guy you offer that early in the process. Just my opinion.

Also, one school that really can recruit nationally that isn't mentioned here is Tennessee. I dont think anyone does a better job of recruiting "nationally" than Tennessee and Michigan, and it is a must because the in-state talent for both of those schools is not always the best...

I am a big Notre Dame fan, and I feel the same way, Don. To get back to the way they used to be, they need to get the same talent they used to have. They need to start offering to definate 4 and 5 star guys, and stop messing around with these 2-3 star guys.

Don if anything ND is not on the level of BC IMHO....

what has ND done the past few years compared to BC?

IMHO a ND prospect and BC prospect are no different...

now a FSU/UF/UT/USC prospect should be a better player than a BC/ND prospect if that makes any sense to you...

PanthaBrotha4 said:

now a FSU/UF/UT/USC prospect should be a better player than a BC/ND prospect if that makes any sense to you...
FSU prospects are always better than all others.:D

bomber said:
FSU prospects are always better than all others.:D

haha, well this years recruiting class would fully back that statement...

but seriously, i just want to make sure that people understand my point...

ND doesnt have anymore of a pull on prospects than BC...that is just my opinion....

PanthaBrotha4 said:

ND doesnt have anymore of a pull on prospects than BC...that is just my opinion....

Obviously I'm going to disagree on a couple fronts.

First the staff, kids want to get to the NFL. Granted, Charlie hasn't coached a game yet, but he knows what works in the NFL. He made an offense full of late rounders into a pretty good one. And the staff he hired carries as much prestige, experience and recognition as just about any. Keep in mind that Ianello was named as one of the top 10 recruiters in the country a few years back and Haywood was recruiting coordinator under Mack Brown at Texas. Not to mention three former college head coaches, including Cutcliffe who as recruited and coached a lot of star QB's and RB's. This staff knows how to recruit and coach. That is a draw.

One NFL executive likened this staff compared to the last as replacing mall cops with Navy Seals.

Second, exposure. Fair or not, just about every ND game will be on national TV. And they are always a story, even whenthey are bad. There is a large national fan base that keeps them in the spotlight.

Third, tradition. Granted, these kids don't remember much of ND's history and that alone would not be enough to resurrect the program, but coupled with the above, it does help.

Fourth is a new administration that wants to win, where the last one wanted to deempasise football. A program that doesn't care if it wins, won't. It's that simple.

Keep in mind, Oklahoma and USC had worse decades before hiring Stoops and Carroll than ND just had. Both were thought to be dead in the water and look what happened.

Your biases aside, ND is still a big draw and can and I believe will win again. A lot of fans of other programs are saying they can't but you won't hear that out of many coaches, analysts or NFL people.

PanthaBrotha4 said:
Don if anything ND is not on the level of BC IMHO....

what has ND done the past few years compared to BC?

IMHO a ND prospect and BC prospect are no different...

Yeah I agree with that. My point being, if Notre Dame wants to get back to the "elite" in college football, where they were for so long, they really need to look at their recruiting philosophy and be a lot more selective in what prospects they give out offers too, especially this early in the recruiting season...

scooper said:
Obviously I'm going to disagree on a couple fronts.

First the staff, kids want to get to the NFL. Granted, Charlie hasn't coached a game yet, but he knows what works in the NFL. He made an offense full of late rounders into a pretty good one. And the staff he hired carries as much prestige, experience and recognition as just about any. Keep in mind that Ianello was named as one of the top 10 recruiters in the country a few years back and Haywood was recruiting coordinator under Mack Brown at Texas. Not to mention three former college head coaches, including Cutcliffe who as recruited and coached a lot of star QB's and RB's. This staff knows how to recruit and coach. That is a draw.

One NFL executive likened this staff compared to the last as replacing mall cops with Navy Seals.

Second, exposure. Fair or not, just about every ND game will be on national TV. And they are always a story, even whenthey are bad. There is a large national fan base that keeps them in the spotlight.

Third, tradition. Granted, these kids don't remember much of ND's history and that alone would not be enough to resurrect the program, but coupled with the above, it does help.

Fourth is a new administration that wants to win, where the last one wanted to deempasise football. A program that doesn't care if it wins, won't. It's that simple.

Keep in mind, Oklahoma and USC had worse decades before hiring Stoops and Carroll than ND just had. Both were thought to be dead in the water and look what happened.

Your biases aside, ND is still a big draw and can and I believe will win again. A lot of fans of other programs are saying they can't but you won't hear that out of many coaches, analysts or NFL people.

See I agree with this, that is why I think Notre Dame is making a big mistake by some of the guys they have been offering scholarships too so early on in the process for 06...I think they should be a lot more selective, with all the things you brought up, they shouldn't settle, at least this early in the recruiting process, for BC/Illinois type of prospects...

Don Flamenco said:
See I agree with this, that is why I think Notre Dame is making a big mistake by some of the guys they have been offering scholarships too so early on in the process for 06...I think they should be a lot more selective, with all the things you brought up, they shouldn't settle, at least this early in the recruiting process, for BC/Illinois type of prospects...

I see what you're saying, but I'm just as impressed that they are doing their homework and not going by recruiting rankings (which aren't even out yet)

Frazer is a perfect example. Weis and Cutcliffe, two coaches who have coached their share of great QB's, each took tapes of 20 of the top QB's and evaluated them. This includes all the biggest names that they supposedly should be recruiting. When they met up, each one brought back the same tape-Zach Frazer. These are guys whose reputations with QB's are pretty strong. Weis comes from a program that took guys that fit the plan and won with them. If he has offered someone this early, he must believe the guy can contribute.

Besides, there are some highly ranked players among ND's commits, leans, and players with high interest. They will get their share of 4 and maybe 5 stars. They have the full 25 slots available this year, so they can afford to offer and get guys based on pure athletic potential and not on rankings. There is plenty of room in this class for some projects.

Wade reminds me of Jason Taylor, same look and build. I think OSU ws going to offer him after summer camp. He should be a solid college player. I also think Weis has an eye for talent, he was one helluva pro coach.

I had the good fortune of seeing Zack Frazer play. He has size, poise and arm strength. I was surprised by his mobility. He is a solid citizen. Notre Dame has shown major interest in Harrisburg-Bishop McDevitt standout running back LeSean McCoy. They`ve offered team mate Jason Kates also. Kates a 6ft.6inch-305lber plays OL- DL.

Don Flamenco said:

that was exactly the point i was trying to get across

i wonder if cutcliffes resignation will have an effect on recruiting, i believe it will since hes from the south and thats where some of the better athletes are, and thats what notre dame needs more then anything, someone whos a threat to take it to the house every play

PanthaBrotha4 said:
why did he resign?

He recently had open heart surgery. His recovery is going well, but he was not going to get up to full strength in time to be able to put in the work required of a D1 coach. He decided it was best for his health and his family for him to take a year off before reentering football. He's probably right. When he's ready in a year of so, I hope he gets a deserved head coaching position.

I'm not sure how much his resignation affects recruiting as he has not really been involved this spring and the biggest attraction to ND offensively remains Weis, who has been serving as QB coach through DC's absence anyway.

If they were going to lose a coach at this stage, it's better to lose one on the offensive side for the above reason. Losing Minter or Lewis at this point would hurt more.