Akron Holy War- 2022- Hoban @ SVSM

Now to the elephant in the room. The rivalry was stopped for one reason. The same person who ended the NCL and the relationships with all of those schools. Until that person moves on don’t expect any of those previous relationships to be repaired. I don’t fault the Irish. I watched this entire scenario developed since 2003. There are many factors but getting your players beaten down with injuries before the playoffs makes no sense. Yes it is true their could be a post season D2 matchup in 2022. I suspect the Irish will drop down to D3 in 2023. Hoban and STVM rosters have philosophical differences. The Irish don’t have a Pee wee system (5 different teams) titled Armour practicing at their facilities or players from 5/7 different counties dotting their Rosters. Hoban have very deep pockets and now field a D1 college prep academy type program. You can’t blame the players But the philosophy has all 26 schools in Summit and other area programs on guard to secure their talent. It has changed high school football for the time being in Summit and Stark county. Hoban fans will deny it or come on here attack me but they all know the truth. Folks I have been around this situation at the grass roots level since 2003. I don’t care what the ABJ scribes write my eyes don’t deceive me. If it walks like a duck then it’s a duck. Stopping this series is not about adult ego’s or students losing the experience of the rivalry. It comes down to down to common sense.
Okay, if that's the case then the SVSM authorities that be need to man up and state the true reason rather than dance around it like some half-@$$ed two bit politicians.

Now to the elephant in the room. The rivalry was stopped for one reason. The same person who ended the NCL and the relationships with all of those schools. Until that person moves on don’t expect any of those previous relationships to be repaired. I don’t fault the Irish. I watched this entire scenario developed since 2003. There are many factors but getting your players beaten down with injuries before the playoffs makes no sense. Yes it is true their could be a post season D2 matchup in 2022. I suspect the Irish will drop down to D3 in 2023. Hoban and STVM rosters have philosophical differences. The Irish don’t have a Pee wee system (5 different teams) titled Armour practicing at their facilities or players from 5/7 different counties dotting their Rosters. Hoban have very deep pockets and now field a D1 college prep academy type program. You can’t blame the players But the philosophy has all 26 schools in Summit and other area programs on guard to secure their talent. It has changed high school football for the time being in Summit and Stark county. Hoban fans will deny it or come on here attack me but they all know the truth. Folks I have been around this situation at the grass roots level since 2003. I don’t care what the ABJ scribes write my eyes don’t deceive me. If it walks like a duck then it’s a duck. Stopping this series is not about adult ego’s or students losing the experience of the rivalry. It comes down to down to common sense.
Sounds like Hoban has put an emphasis on football and it has worked. Hoban wanted to be a dominant program, and now they are. STVM simply refuses to care about a sport unless it is basketball. Bottom line. Let’s not make excuses for STVM and the administration. The Irish have been dominated year after year and they have no answer. They do not update the facilities (unless it is a fresh coat of paint). They refuse to use their resources to make STVM appealing to the better athletes of NEO, the truth of the matter is, where STVM has lacked, Hoban has thrived. Practice fields, a state of the art weight room, etc. Hoban wants to dominate and STVM is complacent, forget common sense, that is the real reason.

Another article on the game from Ryan Isley at SBLive, with more extensive quotes of Sasala talking himself in circles. Folks can make all the excuses they want, it's still petty adults taking away a storied local rivalry that the kids want to play in, the student bodies and alumni want to be a part of and celebrate, and is bigger than the result on the field for so many reasons.

"The rivalry was stopped for one reason. The same person who ended the NCL and the relationships with all of those schools. Until that person moves on don’t expect any of those previous relationships to be repaired". I will assume you are referring to your school's president, since he's the guy pulling the strings.

"The Irish don’t have a Pee wee system (5 different teams) titled Armour practicing at their facilities" Why not? Is this against the rules? Is Green Street against renting its facility to youth leagues? Won't some of the players from the league you mention end up as student-athletes at StVM, or do they pledge some sort of allegiance to Hoban because that's where their league practices and plays some games? Does the "Shamrock Wrestling Club" not operate a non-profit wrestling program out of the Cosgrove Center?

"..or players from 5/7 different counties dotting their Rosters." This isn't new. St. VM was hammering Hoban in the Boarman years despite Hoban drawing from Summit, Stark, Portage, Medina, Trumbull and beyond. The fact that those players are now collectively good enough to beat St.VM regularly seems to be the problem. The tide will eventually turn if the series continues.

"But the philosophy has all 26 schools in Summit and other area programs on guard to secure their talent" This is also nothing new. Hoban, StVM, Walsh, etc. always have drawn from a pool of prospective students far beyond the local Catholic schools and, in the case of athletics, way beyond CYO and Akron Pee-Wee squads. Every kid since forever that went from his 8th grade public school to one of the Akron privates was labeled a "recruit" and was "stolen" by the evil parochials for athletic gain. I'm sorry, but the area programs have always been "on guard" to make sure they are selling the merits of their own program. It might not be balanced, but its the system we have.

"Hoban fans will deny it or come on here attack me but they all know the truth." No attacking here. You love StVM, the program, the kids and the school. Your pride is palpable and admirable. How you wish to view other programs, schools, coaches, kids, etc., is your business. I'm not sure what there is to deny...you have not accused anyone of cheating in your post above.

"Stopping this series is not about adult ego’s or students losing the experience of the rivalry." I'm not sure if you are right or wrong, but it sure feels like stopping the series is all about adult egos (see your first point) at the expense of who really matters....the players and students.

As always, I truly admire your dedication to StVM. Respect.

Sounds like Hoban has put an emphasis on football and it has worked. Hoban wanted to be a dominant program, and now they are. STVM simply refuses to care about a sport unless it is basketball. Bottom line. Let’s not make excuses for STVM and the administration. The Irish have been dominated year after year and they have no answer. They do not update the facilities (unless it is a fresh coat of paint). They refuse to use their resources to make STVM appealing to the better athletes of NEO, the truth of the matter is, where STVM has lacked, Hoban has thrived. Practice fields, a state of the art weight room, etc. Hoban wants to dominate and STVM is complacent, forget common sense, that is the real reason.
They actually have made recent investments in their strength and conditioning program and facilities, and I think it's starting to show dividends already.

Another article on the game from Ryan Isley at SBLive, with more extensive quotes of Sasala talking himself in circles. Folks can make all the excuses they want, it's still petty adults taking away a storied local rivalry that the kids want to play in, the student bodies and alumni want to be a part of and celebrate, and is bigger than the result on the field for so many reasons.

New AD saying that he wants to experience the game himself first before making a decision. Yet he wants to respect and continue the traditions of STVM. So why do you have to think about continuing one of the most important traditions at STVM? Redwing, you're right, talking himself in circles to try and cover for an embarrassed administration that barely answered any questions.

I’m glad someone brought up the AD; as bad as coach’s comments are, woo-boy, this AD looks so much worse!

The Irish have won 6 State Football Championships….I’d say they care about other sports than basketball.

Multiple State Championships in other sports as well….

I see folks state that the kids want to play the game. Possibly. But what these folks are missing is that many players are playing to compete at the next level and are not concerned about any particular game or opponent...they just want to compete.

I don't know that SVSM hasn't cared about it. They just haven't been very good at it, or at least as good as they once were.

I've said this before, but I think it bears being said again. In SVSMs big run there were rumblings among some of the Hoban folks that they could hold their heads high because they "didn't do it like SVSM" (bringing in the nontraditional non-CYO athletes) then Hoban went on to do it even better and you never hear it any more. Now the worm has turned and some of the SVSM people aren't pleased with how Hoban is doing it. It's all quite amusing from a distance.

I don't know that SVSM hasn't cared about it. They just haven't been very good at it, or at least as good as they once were.

I've said this before, but I think it bears being said again. In SVSMs big run there were rumblings among some of the Hoban folks that they could hold their heads high because they "didn't do it like SVSM" (bringing in the nontraditional non-CYO athletes) then Hoban went on to do it even better and you never hear it any more. Now the worm has turned and some of the SVSM people aren't pleased with how Hoban is doing it. It's all quite amusing from a distance.
Clark, not sure if you were responding to my post, but if so, you may have missed my point. I am not saying that St. V. doesn't care about playing Hoban. My point is that many of today's high school players are playing to get an opportunity to play at the next level instead of being concerned about one opponent. As such, I would guess that playing the game or not has a greater impact on the adults.

I have dared to posit on other threads - "rivalries" as they are known do not have the same meaning to kids today as they did for their parents and grandparents. The world is a much more accessible place than it was 30+ years ago. The town/school district next door isn't as significant once the world is one click away.

Clark, not sure if you were responding to my post, but if so, you may have missed my point. I am not saying that St. V. doesn't care about playing Hoban. My point is that many of today's high school players are playing to get an opportunity to play at the next level instead of being concerned about one opponent. As such, I would guess that playing the game or not has a greater impact on the adults.
No it's, I got your point! (y)

Honest question can a StV alum/ fan tell me their opinion on the new AD? I don’t understand how you can take a position like that and not fully understand the meaning of this game for alumni, players, and the city of Akron. If he cannot see the bigger community picture then he shouldn’t have taken the job/ been hired and he’s in over his head. It comes down to adults feelings cause they haven’t won in 7 years. Like come on. Look at how Walsh has risen over the past couple of years. What a joke and I’d be so embarrassed if I was an alumni and that is how the AD responded.

There is so much I want to respond to in this thread, but I’m going to stick with this one.

I couldn’t disagree more with this sentiment. No matter what your individual goals are, football is the ultimate team game, and if you’re playing for yourself, it shows up in a lot of different ways. Besides, Hoban kids are getting a lot of opportunities “at the next level”, but how are those panning out? Also, how many kids has Hoban got that end up going back to their home schools? Football is a funny sport that way.

At the end of the day, for me, what are the admins at STVM teaching their student athletes? Well, this is just too tough, let’s walk away. That is not what we should be teaching our youth. That second article made the school look worse than the first one!

The playoff excuse is played out, as everyone makes the playoffs these days, and no one goes into the postseason healthy. Hoban is willing to work with the Irish, move the game to week one - see if they are really willing to work with you. If they say no, at least that gives STVM an easy out, not this hemming and hawing we are seeing now.

Why do you think Massillon moved their game versus the Irish to WK 1 (when they still played)?

There is so much I want to respond to in this thread, but I’m going to stick with this one.

I couldn’t disagree more with this sentiment. No matter what your individual goals are, football is the ultimate team game, and if you’re playing for yourself, it shows up in a lot of different ways. Besides, Hoban kids are getting a lot of opportunities “at the next level”, but how are those panning out? Also, how many kids has Hoban got that end up going back to their home schools? Football is a funny sport that way.

At the end of the day, for me, what are the admins at STVM teaching their student athletes? Well, this is just too tough, let’s walk away. That is not what we should be teaching our youth. That second article made the school look worse than the first one!

The playoff excuse is played out, as everyone makes the playoffs these days, and no one goes into the postseason healthy. Hoban is willing to work with the Irish, move the game to week one - see if they are really willing to work with you. If they say no, at least that gives STVM an easy out, not this hemming and hawing we are seeing now.

Why do you think Massillon moved their game versus the Irish to WK 1 (when they still played)?
You took the words right out of my mouth bro I can tell STVM is all good when they are the bully but when the table turn they take they ball an run . It was all fun and games when they was beating Massillon Left and right but the moment the tables turned the series magically ended smh

Aaaaaaah, remember the good old days when the Hoban-SVSM game discussion actually revolved around a discussion of a highly anticipated competitive game rather than inter-school politics?

Talking about the game… excited for tonight. Expect Hoban to win but as always it’ll be a hard hitting game and in these type of rivalry games it’s anyones game until the final minute. Has StV offense improved since week 1? They always have some big boys on the O and D line and some skill players. As always mum is the word! Happy Mum Day!

Irish drove it to the 5, then lost a yard on a run. Went to a timeout and came out with only 10 players on the field. QB gets sacked as 11th player is running onto the field. Next play interception.

Hoban gets the ball and within a minute the Irish get called for having 12 guys on defense. Ugh.

Irish drove it to the 5, then lost a yard on a run. Went to a timeout and came out with only 10 players on the field. QB gets sacked as 11th player is running onto the field. Next play interception.

Hoban gets the ball and within a minute the Irish get called for having 12 guys on defense. Ugh.