2024 GCYL League Discussion

As a thought experiment, what if the teams were organized by Beacons of Light parish family in the Southwest Region:

SW1: Visitation, St. Jude, St. Joseph North Bend
SW2: St. John the Baptist (Harrison)
SW3: Victory, St. Al on the Ohio, St. Simon, SVDP, St. Dominic
SW4: St. Teresa, St. William, St. Lawrence, Resurrection -
SW5: St. James White Oak, St. Ann, St. Margaret Mary, St. Bernard
SW6: St. John Dry Ridge, Corpus Christi, St. John Neumann
SW7: Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Martin, St. Al Bridgetown, St. Catharine, St. Antoninus
SW8: St. Ignatius

Does anyone want a super team with Visitation and Jude combined? If combined would that parish family have 3 teams each at the K-1 and 2 grade levels? If separate, does Jude have enough at every level to go solo? That's the question can they survive alone? I think the Visi/Jude combination would only define or mirror what I sense we all dislike in the other programs. Sacred Heart just merged with Queen of Peace too this season making them very strong on the younger age groups. They should be moved up too the highest conference for sure with that merger.
Where do kids from St. John Harrison play now? (And how did they get their own parish family?) St. James
SW3 is already together, right?
Would there be too many players for SW4 and SW7 to combine but not enough for them to be two separate programs? Worth looking into
Are SW5 and SW6 all playing together as St. James? I beleive so with Bernards with Ignatuis currently
Great outline of what I think is worth talking about with a few risks to explore.

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part. If they join the vols wouldn't that just increase an already tough participation head count that is already difficult to find playing time for the players? Just curious and I really don't know how a single program can dictate where kids play unless they are playing the AofD card. :oops: A lot of the GCYOL has it figured out on splitting by grade and fopr what ever reason Jude chooses not too.

Regardless it makes sense to try and figure a way to keep a fourth youth program on the westside somehow. I don't know the answer but doing nothing isnt good either.
My thought would be that Antoninus joining would create a need for one team at most individual grades. That would be more PT for all involved. There should be plenty of coaches at that point too, one would think.

Great outline of what I think is worth talking about with a few risks to explore.
It allows for pooling of resources and fundraising within the families. There would also be fewer volunteers needed overall. Which is why I said when Beacons was announced that athletics was eventually going to be headed in that direction. Every school is needing volunteers. Every sport needs fundraising. Every sport needs updated equipment. When you pool all these resources along the parish families, you need less money and less time out each parishioner's pocket.

How do you mean?
I just cant see a couple of dudes coming up with the BOL strategy without thinking through the consequences of it all. Said another way westsiders dont like being told what to do when it comes to religion, school or sports. I would hope that the play they are making had some serious thought behind it. I wouldn't touch that to save my life. Hope that helps

It allows for pooling of resources and fundraising within the families. There would also be fewer volunteers needed overall. Which is why I said when Beacons was announced that athletics was eventually going to be headed in that direction. Every school is needing volunteers. Every sport needs fundraising. Every sport needs updated equipment. When you pool all these resources along the parish families, you need less money and less time out each parishioner's pocket.
There might be a few benefits to athletics at the margins, but if you still have the same number of kids participating you'll still need the same number of teams, coaches, uniforms, equipment, field/gym time, etc. You could also have a number of negative consequences if fewer kids participate because they or their parents perceive there will be less playing time available.

I just cant see a couple of dudes coming up with the BOL strategy without thinking through the consequences of it all.
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Beacons of Light was formulated to accomplish two things: (1) lessen the impact of the shortage of priests and (2) close schools and parishes that aren't financially self-sustaining. Athletics are just one of many things that were given absolutely no thought whatsoever. In fact, I have a strong suspicion that of parish/school affiliated teams ceased to exist that would come as a great relief to priests and archdiocesan administrators.

I just cant see a couple of dudes coming up with the BOL strategy without thinking through the consequences of it all. Said another way westsiders dont like being told what to do when it comes to religion, school or sports. I would hope that the play they are making had some serious thought behind it. I wouldn't touch that to save my life. Hope that helps
I see your point. But tell you the truth, based on what I've heard, they don't really care about consequences outside their own benefit.

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Beacons of Light was formulated to accomplish two things: (1) lessen the impact of the shortage of priests and (2) close schools and parishes that aren't financially self-sustaining. Athletics are just one of many things that were given absolutely no thought whatsoever. In fact, I have a strong suspicion that of parish/school affiliated teams ceased to exist that would come as a great relief to priests and archdiocesan administrators.
The funny thing is the athletics groups are probably the best-run and in the best financial positions in most of these parishes with the best engagement and fellowship. That's why, I think, it is truly a mistake to consider uprooting everything at this point.

The funny thing is the athletics groups are probably the best-run and in the best financial positions in most of these parishes with the best engagement and fellowship. That's why, I think, it is truly a mistake to consider uprooting everything at this point.
Couldn't agree more. But the Archdiocese doesn't care about the parishioners inside it's borders in any way.

Does anyone know what the enrollments for our schools in 2024 in lieu of Martins closing and vouchers? I would think that some of the schools have grown in size?

How would this be any different than it is already?
It doesn’t change much at the end of the day but the Vols would get better from another consolidation. Jude Lourdes and Antoninus combined plus a few ALS and Catherine’s kids could turn out to be a solid program with good numbers.

Antoninus numbers are fine. They are trying to get the parish family to play all sports together. Nothing more to it than that.

I think that is part of it. I think it is more to do with Antoninus needing more players to field teams.

I don't really see the benefit of adding Antoninus players to another westside program. Who would you send their players to?

Bottom line, what gives Elder the best chance to cast a wider net for players? Whatever that is, should be the format, nothing else matters.

Very true. Susanna is the only other single parish right?
StSusanna won the D2 Championship two seasons at the Varsity level but hearing their numbers are really down. The reality is Mason and Lakota have really good youth programs and StSusanna can't get the parishioner kids they used to be able to get. I have heard the Priest is pretty strict with their athletic programs and makes it even more challenging for parishioner kids to play sports.

StSusanna won the D2 Championship two seasons at the Varsity level but hearing their numbers are really down. The reality is Mason and Lakota have really good youth programs and StSusanna can't get the parishioner kids they used to be able to get. I have heard the Priest is pretty strict with their athletic programs and makes it even more challenging for parishioner kids to play sports.
Better than the antics SMOY and Columban have been pulling with rosters lately.

Better than the antics SMOY and Columban have been pulling with rosters lately.
I have no idea why anyone would let their son play for that team. They have 60+ players on Varsity these last couple seasons and they have 7th graders not even getting much playing time during the B games. If you can't figure out a way to get players quality time during the B games how in the heck are you even getting them good instruction during practices. I get it wanting to have 60+ players because it will probably yield a very good varsity team, but man they have to do better with that many kids for B games. Create two B teams, kids need reps at the 7th grade level.

I have no idea why anyone would let their son play for that team. They have 60+ players on Varsity these last couple seasons and they have 7th graders not even getting much playing time during the B games. If you can't figure out a way to get players quality time during the B games how in the heck are you even getting them good instruction during practices. I get it wanting to have 60+ players because it will probably yield a very good varsity team, but man they have to do better with that many kids for B games. Create two B teams, kids need reps at the 7th grade level.
That varsity team will likely look a little different this year; their coaches are gone.