2023 Southwestern Buckeye League

I have never known anyone outside of people talking state wide about any conference other than the MAC. Most conferences are only known regionally by most. Programs and traditional powers yes but I very rarely tie respect of a program to their conference. Outside Clinton Massie only using them as example. If you scour this corner of Ohio absolutely none of the other D4-D6 public conferences are parallel to SWBL top to bottom in my opinion. It’s not like people are chanting SBAAC like the SEC when Massie wins. I know the CCC was horrible the 3 rivers and WOAC are just a shade above top to bottom the winner of those conference would be lucky to finish middle of pack in the SWBL. Not sure what point or dig at the conference you're trying to make.
He pointed out that Bellbrook lost in regional final to badin, pretty sure badin was ranked first in the state that year and Bellbrook was only team to give them a game TWICE that year until
The state final that ended 14-7 Bellbrook was indeed in the thick of state title conversations that year . They outplayed badin in regional final led from start till finish until roughing kicker call then badin scores to win at end .

Bellbrook plays tough out of conference every year .

talk about alter , your helping prove my point gobbler , yea they beat us by a td last week and we played like dog water dropping open touchdowns and such if you were there you know the better team lost . Go back a decade and see what alter was doing to bellbrook
40-7 type games , so my point proven, since Jenkins has came in the past 7 years we have closed that gap and became a known team D3 region 12 .
valley view of course carries the banner and that’s fine, someone has too, they do , they have . But Bellbrook is starting to help on their end too.
dude Tipp isn’t the only team that’s fell victim to bellbrook over the years I’m just stating that they went to final last year .
You are correct tho gobbler , we’re not known state wide . Maybe one day 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do want this to be known tho , gobbler you’re an active poster , nothing but respect for you and your opinion, we all have them .
hope I didn’t upset anyone not my intent . Just passionate about our football here

Last edited:
Drew Pasteur has Bellbrook as the #26 schedule in all of D3 out of 106. To me, that's a pretty respectable schedule. I believe their OOC schedule helps that a great deal. If they didn't have Ponitz on there (0-6 DIV), I believe that would be higher.
That damn pontz game. I’ll give it to pontz they scheduled this year 🤣🤣

Bellbrook lost late 14-10 to burg, burg just beat northmont 33-30 I believe. Alter lost to Fairmont by 3 ans trotwood by 8 . Bellbrook gave away the alter game . I think the eagles are competing just fine . Clean some things up and easily looking at a 5-1 record . They’ll be ready come playoff time

Don't know how many here regularly read Press Pros. This is a very interesting, deep piece that touches on a couple topics that have been discussed some here.

Edgewood
Bellbrook
Brookville
VV
Waynesville
Eaton
The MAC has always been the gold standard for division 5,6, &7. No comparison, almost always win a state title in one of those divisions if not multiple titles. Once you get to divisions 1-4 the Catholic/Private/Manipulators(Glenville) take over. You will have a few outliers from year to year but this is just the way it is. The SWBL is a very competitive and strong league. They have multiple teams yearly that makes runs into the playoffs, regional final about the best. VV being the exception in the mid 90's and last year. I guess success is viewed on a personal level. A D3 or D4 school competing against a GCL coed school to me is success. Bellbrook 2 years ago. Eaton beat Fenwick last year 1st round. The year everyone keeps talking about Bellbrook losing to Badin on a roughing the kicker call. Well Eaton beat Bellbrook that year 21-20. Lost to McNick in the 3rd round. Lost a few players due to injury or that outcome could have been different. McNick lost to eventual state champ Clinton Massie the next round on a 2 point conversion. SWBL is a quality conference won't convince me otherwise.

Edgewood
Bellbrook
Brookville
VV
Waynesville
Eaton
The MAC has always been the gold standard for division 5,6, &7. No comparison, almost always win a state title in one of those divisions if not multiple titles. Once you get to divisions 1-4 the Catholic/Private/Manipulators(Glenville) take over. You will have a few outliers from year to year but this is just the way it is. The SWBL is a very competitive and strong league. They have multiple teams yearly that makes runs into the playoffs, regional final about the best. VV being the exception in the mid 90's and last year. I guess success is viewed on a personal level. A D3 or D4 school competing against a GCL coed school to me is success. Bellbrook 2 years ago. Eaton beat Fenwick last year 1st round. The year everyone keeps talking about Bellbrook losing to Badin on a roughing the kicker call. Well Eaton beat Bellbrook that year 21-20. Lost to McNick in the 3rd round. Lost a few players due to injury or that outcome could have been different. McNick lost to eventual state champ Clinton Massie the next round on a 2 point conversion. SWBL is a quality conference won't convince me otherwise.
Great post

Edgewood
Bellbrook
Brookville
VV
Waynesville
Eaton
Spot on.

Not sure about the age range on this thread but speaking as an older guy here, I can remember the days of the SWBL when it was Northmont, Butler, West Carrollton, Trotwood, Tipp, Oakwood, Northridge, Milton, Brookville and Eaton. Times have changed. This started with Milton, Versailles, Randolph (Northmont) Vandalia as a league in the 40s. There have been many tremendous teams and many tremendous individual athletes. The population growth along the interstates changed not only the face of this league but all of these schools.
When the Dayton Suburban League members (Bellbrook, Valley View, Dixie) and then Greenville joined in 75, this conference changed and grew much more than before.
the towns that make this conference are typically very similar (outside of Oakwood and Bellbrook) which is more rural and therefore they have peaks and valleys in talent. Many of you have seen Valley View, Bellbrook, Brookville, Edgewood, and Ross field teams that were very high level. It’s a testament to the competitiveness and the wholesome nature of the SWBL. I hope it never goes away.

The other thing I think is often over looked when it comes to quality of a conference is the overall experience. Perhaps I am an idealist but I love the Friday night experience. Go to a game in the conference and the stands are full to packed almost all of the time, and this at almost all events. Then on the opposite side of things as a fan coming from the SWOC you see MtH, Talawanda, and to a lesser extent NW where the support is low thus the experience is poor all the way around. No JV freshman games among other things so the AD is always scrambling to find fill in games. Not just football, but the overall quality of the conference is good across the board. I just wish mine didnt graduate last year so we could have experienced more of this.

Not sure about the age range on this thread but speaking as an older guy here, I can remember the days of the SWBL when it was Northmont, Butler, West Carrollton, Trotwood, Tipp, Oakwood, Northridge, Milton, Brookville and Eaton. Times have changed. This started with Milton, Versailles, Randolph (Northmont) Vandalia as a league in the 40s. There have been many tremendous teams and many tremendous individual athletes. The population growth along the interstates changed not only the face of this league but all of these schools.
When the Dayton Suburban League members (Bellbrook, Valley View, Dixie) and then Greenville joined in 75, this conference changed and grew much more than before.
the towns that make this conference are typically very similar (outside of Oakwood and Bellbrook) which is more rural and therefore they have peaks and valleys in talent. Many of you have seen Valley View, Bellbrook, Brookville, Edgewood, and Ross field teams that were very high level. It’s a testament to the competitiveness and the wholesome nature of the SWBL. I hope it never goes away.
Don't Forget Franklin.2011 and 2012, and 2013 they were 28-6 and play-offs . 2 of the 3 years they were D-2.The last 13 years the Cats are 82-44.

Eaton sits 6th in R16 and at 5-1 they are quietly taking care of business. They have some good wins and actually a "good loss" against VV, while only considering the score. They look to have a QB that tosses around 175 or so yards per game and a RB that may be coming into his own over the last two week stat lines. Without any head to head games against other R16 teams for a direct comparison, I was curious to how other's would rack and stack them in their region.

Eaton sits 6th in R16 and at 5-1 they are quietly taking care of business. They have some good wins and actually a "good loss" against VV, while only considering the score. They look to have a QB that tosses around 175 or so yards per game and a RB that may be coming into his own over the last two week stat lines. Without any head to head games against other R16 teams for a direct comparison, I was curious to how other's would rack and stack them in their region.
Region 16 is very top heavy with Massie and Wyoming. Not sure how they compare to those two but their play against VV tells me they can play with anyone in Region 16. I just hope they finish inside the top 6 so they don't have to play Massie or Wyoming in round 2.

Region 16 is very top heavy with Massie and Wyoming. Not sure how they compare to those two but their play against VV tells me they can play with anyone in Region 16. I just hope they finish inside the top 6 so they don't have to play Massie or Wyoming in round 2.
I dont think Wyoming is the beast they once were considering their comparison with Maderia to Shawnee and yes, their game against VV gives me a positive take on them. Obliviously Massie is the team to beat but not knowing anything about this year's Eaton team, they could be the stinker in the whole R16. Going 2-1 over the next three weeks may, may (outside shot) seed them in the top 4 and in a good position to possibly have a regional final game with Massie.

I dont think Wyoming is the beast they once were considering their comparison with Maderia to Shawnee and yes, their game against VV gives me a positive take on them. Obliviously Massie is the team to beat but not knowing anything about this year's Eaton team, they could be the stinker in the whole R16. Going 2-1 over the next three weeks may, may (outside shot) seed them in the top 4 and in a good position to possibly have a regional final game with Massie.
Agreed. Wyoming is a very solid football team but might not be one of their really dominant teams. Clinton Massie on the other hand, appears to be back to your traditional CM type teams.

I hope Monroe gives Eaton a competitive game. If Monroe doesn't changeup their play calling they'll get crushed. Eaton will stack the box to stop the run like every other team. You stop the run you pretty much got us beat. No brainer there. It being homecoming night I'd hope they play a lot more physical than last week jeez. Not aggressive enough on D. They don't blitz enough and don't play close up on the WRs. Interesting to see how they respond. Down year yes but they gotta show some fight like they did vs WCHS.

Last edited: