2024 Pittsburgh Steelers

I like MT. Ironically, I firmly believe his success has hurt the organization. He has taken too many bad teams and got them to and above .500 and more middle of the draft picks.

I also like Mike Tomlin. I love all he's done for the Steelers organization over the years as well as what he's done in the city of Pittsburgh. He's been great and deserves to be in the HOF.

My fear is that he'll get this team to 9-8 again. They'll be in the playoff picture in week 18 but just miss or get in as a wildcard and be one & done. Either way that will be viewed as a "successful season" and we'll rinse & repeat in 2024. They're stuck in this middle of the pack, not bad enough to rebuild but not good enough to contend for a championship mode and will be for the foreseeable future.

I don't think Kenny is the man. I don't think he's horrible but he's not taking them to a championship. They won't "fire" Canada, they just won't renew his contract after the season. Then we'll go into 2024 with Kenny as QB1 and they'll say his struggles in 2023 were due to Canada. Then when Kenny is average to slightly below average in 2024 they'll say he's adjusting to the new OC and they'll ride with him into 2025.

If/when the offense every does get to the level of an actual NFL offense, TJ, Minkah, Cam, etc will all be retired or past their prime. It was the cycle we saw 2011 - 2020. From 2011 to about 2018 the offense was good but the defense was old and ineffective. They rebuild the defense over that time and about the time the defense got "good," Ben and the offensive line were too old and weapons like Leveon and AB were gone.

I root for the Steelers to win each week, but they really need to rip the bandaid off and have a 4-13 type season to get the changes necessary to get back to a Super Bowl again any time soon.

It’s easy to pile on after a 24 pt beat down and the Steelers deserved it. However, the stupidity of wanting to fire Tomlin is ridiculous. Should Tomlin get blame for the offense & hiring Canada - absolutely 100% but who cares if Tomlin’s assistants get hired by other teams. How many of the Patriots assistants turned out to be good HC’s? It doesn’t matter. What was the stat, Steelers have lost by 21 pts 14 times under Tomlin and they are 12-2 th following week. Ok, one can say bad coaching got the Steelers to lose by 21 pts but then one has to say coaching/motivation got the Steelers to bounce back the following week.

Does Tomlin deserve a lifetime contract because he won a Super Bowl 15 years ago? Is he the Pope or a Supreme Court justice? Noll had to be nudged to retire after he wore out his welcome. There is an argument that the game has passed both Tomlin and Belichick by.

Also... I think Art Rooney II deserves criticism. He is nothing more than a more charasmatic Mike Brown. He doesn't really seem to care about winning Super Bowls. He's running the organization more like a business and he's happy as long as they're making money. A championship would be a bonus but not the ultimate goal.

I've heard that the Steelers have one of the smallest coaching staffs in the NFL. I've also heard that their assistants make less than league average.

Maybe Mike Tomlin's hands are tied. Maybe he continually hires stiffs and retreads instead of up and coming innovative assistants because he can't get anyone else for what the organization is willing to pay.

Canada was not ready to be OC in the NFL. His resume was basically one good season as an OC in college. LSU couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Austin was fired from Bengals and Lions DC job.

O-line Coach Pat Meyer is a retread who was fired or not renewed from teams like the Panthers, Chargers, and Falcons.

Notice a trend?

Also... I think Art Rooney II deserves criticism. He is nothing more than a more charasmatic Mike Brown. He doesn't really seem to care about winning Super Bowls. He's running the organization more like a business and he's happy as long as they're making money. A championship would be a bonus but not the ultimate goal.

I've heard that the Steelers have one of the smallest coaching staffs in the NFL. I've also heard that their assistants make less than league average.

Maybe Mike Tomlin's hands are tied. Maybe he continually hires stiffs and retreads instead of up and coming innovative assistants because he can't get anyone else for what the organization is willing to pay.

Canada was not ready to be OC in the NFL. His resume was basically one good season as an OC in college. LSU couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Austin was fired from Bengals and Lions DC job.

O-line Coach Pat Meyer is a retread who was fired or not renewed from teams like the Panthers, Chargers, and Falcons.

Notice a trend?
It is sad we are wasting the prime Watt, Fitz years. If this was a Zach Taylor coached team it's 4-5 win each of the last 4-5 yrs so the franchise is suffering due to how good.MT is as a coach.

If MTfeelsnhis job is in danger...he fires Canada.

WJ- I agree with you 100% that Warren is a beast. On the pre-game radio show yesterday, the topic came up "what happened to ride the hot back"? I know Harris is the main man but Warren runs so hard. When he is being successful, fide him!

I agree with you regarding ride the hot back but there is just one problem:
* Warren 5’8, 212
* Harris 6’1”, 238

Warren brings a spark, reminds me a bit of old rb Darren Sproles (5’6”, 190). I think Warren is a better blocker but Sproles was good as a returner. I just don’t think Warren can take 18-20 touches a game over an extended period of time.

Last edited:
With on 5 offensive td’s thru 5 games the Steelers head into their wk 6 bye week at 3-2….and in 1st place in the AFC North (2-0 in the division as well).
It's worse than that. 2 of those TDs were long TD passes. So only 3 actual TD drives so far
This offense hasn't started this bad since 90. Had to go back and refresh my memory on that horrific start to the season. Zero offensive TDs in the 1st 4 games. Then woke up to 9-6 going into the last game when the Oilers beat us. I think Pickett is better than Bubby. However Bubby had not 1. Not 2, but 3 games where he threw for 4 TDs. Outplayed Elway.
So, there's hope for the O yet. We DID go over 200 yards in the second half. Also don't forget 4 missing starters on O. Hopefully they take a serious look and make necessary changes and/or adjustments. Baltimore lost that game more than we won it

Interesting article from the Trib regarding Steeler alumni sons/relatives playing HS football at North Allegheny HS:

There usually is a Super Bowl champion or two somewhere in the crowd at North Allegheny football games and it’s been that way for about a decade.

In fact, sometimes there are four or five NFL alums there for game days.

That’s because coach Art Walker’s teams have enjoyed a string of student-athletes with NFL roots, and the former pros are now proud dads or uncles there to watch their sons or nephews play on Friday nights.

There have been multiple Porters and Gildons and Hokes on the roster, and Walker said the coach-parent relationships he’s had with the ex-NFLers have been good.

“Obviously, their dads have been around football and know football,” Walker said. “I believe that whenever they observe what we’re doing or they talk to their sons about what we’re doing, there’s a trust. They know we’re working hard and trying to do everything we can to put our players in a great position.”

This year’s roster had four players with NFL roots, including lineman Lincoln Hoke, whose dad, Chris, played defensive line for the Steelers. The younger Hoke, a 6-foot-1, 210-pound sophomore, already starts at right guard for the Tigers.

“He has earned it,” Walker said, “and he is a player.”

Lincoln is the third Hoke brother to play football for North Allegheny, following Cade, a 2019 graduate, and Nathan, a 2021 grad. As a result, their family has become quite familiar with the program.

“Art coaches it the right way,” said Chris Hoke, who played for the Steelers from 2004-11. “He runs a tough program. He works these guys hard and he teaches them about work ethic. He’s also about leadership and they win a lot of games.”

Hoke said Walker has a solid reputation as a no-nonsense coach, so he always felt comfortable having his sons play for him. Another luxury he liked about North Allegheny was its large coaching staff. Every position has an assistant or two.

“If I ever go watch practice, I’d hide somewhere,” Hoke said. “I didn’t want people to think I was looking over their shoulders. They do a good job. There might only be one or two other programs where I’d feel comfortable sending him and feel he’s getting the same kind of coaching.”

Hoke isn’t the only current player with NFL roots. Senior Tyree Alualu is the son of Tyson Alualu, senior Khiryn Boyd is a nephew of Joey Porter, and sophomore James Harrison shares a name with his famous dad, who’s responsible for one of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history.

Only a sophomore, the 5-foot-11, 170-pound James Harrison III plays some special teams for the varsity nowadays.

“He’s a young guy, but he’s learning,” Walker said. “He definitely has some promise. He’s a running back/outside ‘backer and he’s a tough kid, so I definitely think there’s a future for him.”

Walker said he believes the relationship with the former NFL players has been a good one in part because his staff is experienced and approaches coaching in the right way. This is Walker’s 19th year at North Allegheny.

“I think there’s definitely a level of trust on what we’re doing that correlates with why we’ve had such good relationships with them,” he said.

One of the team’s former stars, Joey Porter Jr., is now an NFL rookie playing cornerback for the Steelers. He was an all-conference player for the Tigers and earned Terrific 25 honors from the Tribune-Review as a senior in 2018.

“It’s nice to see him continue to get more playing time and develop,” Walker said. “It’s fantastic.”

Among others, the list of recent NFL kids included Jason Gildon’s sons Jason Jr., Justus and King; Jerame Tuman’s son Canyan; Porter’s son Jacob and nephew Amosis; Darnell Dinkins’ sons Khalil and Kolin; and Tom Ricketts’ sons Thomas and Trace.

Walker said another factor that has helped the coach-parent relationship is having 70% of his coaching staff working in the school district. He said that lets parents and players get to know them as both coaches and educators.

“You have coaches who are teachers or counselors or whatever, so they’re an asset to the student-athletes from early on,” Walker said. “You always have someone to go to if you need help in a class or if there’s something troubling you. Parents know the same thing.”

Another obvious benefit was having had a couple of former Steelers players on the coaching staff. Retired tight end Jerame Tuman is a current assistant for the Tigers and retired defensive end Aaron Smith previously was on the staff.

“It helps when you have guys like that who are coaching and say, ‘Hey, these guys are doing it right and getting it done,’” Walker said. “There is that trust factor. They have an opportunity now to be a dad and enjoy it. They can watch their kids play and develop and let someone else coach their son.”

Chris Harlan is a Tribune-Review Staff Writer. You can contact Chris by email at charlan@triblive.com or via Twitter .

Tags

Yeah the officials were atrocious today.

The offense actually managed to move the ball in the 4th quarter. I won’t get my hopes up that they’ll pick up where they left off.

Also thanks to the Lions for deciding to stay in Detroit today.

I think Pickett played more like he did last year during the last 9 games: nothing spectacular but solid and zero turnovers.

What can one say about Watt - just incredible. Congrats to Herbig for I believe his first nfl sack. The Steelers are going to have & try to find a way to get him on the field more without taking snaps away from Watt & Highsmith.

Was outta town for 4 days and man...hiw the heck we win again? Still don't think we can get to 10 wins or really any shot at a playoff win.

Guess we just have to appreciate the fact we aren't going through some 2-5 win seasons

6-5 the rest of the way, which is doable, likely gets the Steelers into the postseason. Packers, Titans, Patriots, Cards at home, at Colts and one win in the division over Browns, Ravens or Bengals (play 2x) Unfortunately unless they pick it up another one and done.

Don‘t like the odds of wins v. Jags at home or Seattle on the road.

Last edited:
6-5 the rest of the way, which is doable, likely gets the Steelers into the postseason. Packers, Titans, Patriots, Cards at home, at Colts and one win in the division over Browns, Ravens or Bengals (play 2x) Unfortunately unless they pick it up another one and done.

That’s a very logical outlook and I think you’re probably right. However, last week
* SF lost to a qb who was bagging groceries a few weeks ago.
* Philly lost to the NYJ
* Bills barely escaped a game vs NYG

It’s the NFL, the Steelers could easily get blown out in any of the games that appear winnable and the Steelers have proven they are capable of beating teams they have no business beating.

Once one gets to the playoffs you have to have qb play that lifts the play of your team. Patrick MaHomes, Josh Allen, Joe Burrow are a n another level. We think Tua & Lamar Jackson can but will they be healthy. Justin Herbert & Trevor Lawrence definitely have the individual talent & Pedegree. Beating any of these qb’s would be a tough task, beating 3 of them to get to the Suoer Bowl is daunting for the Steelers or any other team.

Steelers can win against the Jags and Seattle. Will they IDK...............its the NFL?

Great news, DT Cam Heyward returned to practice and his 21 day window begins. Steelers went 4-1 without him & 3-1 without wr Johnson. Heyward may be back in wk 10 vs Green Bay or wk 11 at Cleveland. Hopefully the Steelers can remain relatively healthy and get TE Pat Freiermuth back in 4 games or so.

A lot of talk about the Steelers trading for Surtain II. While I wouldn't exactly be mad about it, I think it would be a mistake when the defense is already solid and the OL needs to be rebuilt. I'd rather save the picks to draft OL

Denver cb Patrick Surtain is still on his rookie deal: $5.7 mil this year and $6.7 mil for 2024 season against the cap. Surtain was a 1st rd pick so there would be a team option for year 5.

The Steelers have only $2.8 mil in cap space for this year so they might have to redo someone’s deal to crest cap space for this season.

I guess it comes down to what it would cost to get Surtain, I’m assuming it would be a 2024 1st rd pick - probably somewhere around 20th based on Steelers finishing 9-8 or so this year. Steelers do have a Burrow-Chase problem for the next 6+ years so a shutdown corner would be nice but hopefully that is what Porter becomes. If the Broncos would take a 2nd, do it.

I agree with Crusader, oline (Center) would be a more preferred trade target.

While Center is a genuine need, to think that would be a valid fix for this season is a pipe dream. The center is the QB of the OL. I highly doubt any center coming in a trade would be able to be up to speed to be that much of a plus THIS season for the offense.

DBs, especially those who excel at man, can make a transition much easier as they can man up a certain WR or the X/Z on their side.

I dont put too much stock in the NFL trade deadline for current season advantages as the game is just not set up that way.

While Center is a genuine need, to think that would be a valid fix for this season is a pipe dream. The center is the QB of the OL. I highly doubt any center coming in a trade would be able to be up to speed to be that much of a plus THIS season for the offense.

DBs, especially those who excel at man, can make a transition much easier as they can man up a certain WR or the X/Z on their side.

I dont put too much stock in the NFL trade deadline for current season advantages as the game is just not set up that way.

I 100% agree about the center being pivotal in making line calls and the difficulty in switching your center midseason. But….it is a Matt Canada offense - I bet you or I could pick up the offense in a week to 10 days! Seriously, there isn’t a good center available out there at this time anyway.

I believe center will be addressed this off-season either in free agency or the draft. Steelers C Mason Cole is under contract in 2024 for $6.275 mil against the cap but has a $4.75 mil cap savings if cut - don’t know if he will be a Steeler in 2024.

Nice to see/hear a good story.

Bad apples always get the attention but the NFL, and other sports are full of great people doing great things. Unfortunately...bad news sells.

What a garbage half. Jags are getting the mahomes and CHiefs treatment.

No way that's roughing by the steelers....my God. If ya call that...ya need to call it at the end of the half.

.question...why 10 second runoff on an incomplete pass and an injury? I always thought that only ocurr3d when the injury stopped a running clock.

Man...this steelers team is awful. Awful. Awful..