2023 Clarion Open

I was surprised he even wrestled. There has been talk of him and Geog having injuries and they may not show up until after the VT dual.
Would be surprising for Carson to beat Mekhi Lewis regardless but Geog being out would really make that VT dual an uphill battle. That's a winnable match for him.

There are also some people online, saying Ramos is overrated so this isn’t a big deal. Just, unreal what people will stoop to, to try and bring down greatness. What Blaze did, was just that, greatness.

The best is all of the people saying that Ramos is just rusty because his season just started and Blaze has been wrestling all year long. I don't know how these people come up with this stuff.

There are also some people online, saying Ramos is overrated so this isn’t a big deal. Just, unreal what people will stoop to, to try and bring down greatness. What Blaze did, was just that, greatness.
Because all of those people have the credentials of being an NCAA finalist? LOL
They could only wish to be that good.

Because all of those people have the credentials of being an NCAA finalist? LOL
They could only wish to be that good.
The best is all of the people saying that Ramos is just rusty because his season just started and Blaze has been wrestling all year long. I don't know how these people come up with this stuff.
I know haha like Ramos doesn’t keep himself in shape year round.

Ehh that stupid shoulder shrug is a bad look. Wonder if he'll do it next time he gets beat ? And he will.
angry-old-man-gfv51b2z1oygybjs.gif

Is Hoffman still making that journey down to 184? We need him there.
We'll see how effective he is back down at 84. It's his vision quest so I hope it works out for him. It's time for Shumate to step up. If he doesn't hold the 84 spot this season, he may struggle holding it next season with Rogotzke and possibly Rocco in line.

As for Blaze, he made the finals of a college tourney. Beat the HS wrestler ranked above him and canned the NCAA #1 ranked college 125.
You have to either be, 'ballsy' or 'stupid' to try to talk down his Sunday of wrestling.

It's time for Shumate to step up. If he doesn't hold the 84 spot this season, he may struggle holding it next season with Rogotzke and possibly Rocco in line.
Shumate (#5 seed) goes 2-2

Rogotzke by rds
Win
Lose to #7 seed 13-10
Win pin
Win pin
win pin over Shumate.
Win pin
Tied for 5th as 6th match limit

Yes

Think the match limit for single day NCAA is 6. Some guys hit and couldn't wrestle that last match (Greg Diakomihalis, for example).
Also, Wadsworth’s Jaxon Joy hit the six match limit on the backside. He lost a crazy 12-11 match to NCAA R12 from GWebb, then bonused way back. Central district’s Birden and Wilson had some wins as well. Barnsville crew of King, King, and Stephen also logging victories…Ohio HS well represented at Clarion!

Last edited:
The question is but for what school??
Purdue? Maybe with his brother. Joey Blaze went 5-1 yesterday and tied for 5th. Had a 3-1 win over #3 seed Blake Saito (Liberty and Perrysburg).

He could have Ramos as a coach in two years. Regardless of that match score I am sure there is plenty of respect on both sides.

Purdue? Maybe with his brother. Joey Blaze went 5-1 yesterday and tied for 5th. Had a 3-1 win over #3 seed Blake Saito (Liberty and Perrysburg).

He could have Ramos as a coach in two years. Regardless of that match score I am sure there is plenty of respect on both sides.
Purdue is the most logical guess with his brother being there.

Nerd out time for me here:

Top 5 Flowrestling recruits and their chosen schools. Attempting to break these down into categories:
Hometown- Biggest school in their home state
Top 5- Penn State, Iowa, Ohio State, Cornell, Okie St. These schools have been the best over the last 10 years in my opinion
Late Bloomers- Guys who were ranked outside the top 20/25 or so and then jumped up big their senior year. Most guys commit junior year
Outliers- Guys who don't fit into any of the other 3 categories

2023: Two hometown (Kueter-Iowa, McEnelly-Minnesota), three top 5 (Shapiro-Cornell, Thompson-Okie St, Gabe Arnold-Iowa)
2022: Three top 5 (Feldman/Bouzakis/Mendez-Ohio State), two late bloomers (Swiderski-Iowa St, Fishback-NC St)
2021: Two hometown (Gallagher-Ohio St, Ayala-Iowa), two top 5 (Facundo/SVN-Penn State), one outlier (Richie Figs)
2020: One hometown (Bartlett-Penn St), one top 5 (Kennedy-Iowa), one late bloomer (McNeil-UNC), two outliers (Amos-Wisconsin, O'Toole-Mizzou)
2019: Three hometown (Alirez-Northern Colorado, Kharchla/Decatur-Ohio St), one top 5 (Kerkvliet-Ohio St), one outlier (Schultz-Arizona St)

Among the outliers;
Richie Figs and Cohlton Schultz committing to Arizona State, which is a top 10 program and the best west coast school is hardly a surprise. Mizzou is another top 10 program and O'Toole is an Askren guy. Amos is really the only precedent of a guy going to an outlier school as a top 5 recruit. Feels like we haven't heard a lot, 2025 guys are starting to commit and all the top guys at least have lists.

I've wondered if he lives in Ohio or commutes from Michigan, as he was only an hour away from Perrysburg. I know colleges have in-state tuition agreements for people near the border but wasn't sure if you could open enroll in HS in another state.

Pretty sure that Perrysburg isn't open enrollment.

LOL Where was that shoulder shrug after a round of 16 guy beat him?
He is saving it for his next W. Where was Spencer Lee after he lost to Ramos? Oh yeah, he quit and cried to Mommy. I'll take the dude that gives a shrug but won't quit.