2023 Pittsburgh Steelers

Penning and Linderbaum may still be there, Pickett less likely. A likely pick is the LB from Utah or the best available Def. Back (corner or safety) But you are right lots of unknowns.
Pickett, Penning, or Linderbaum are my top 3 but I’m expecting complete chaos

Pickett could be another version of Baker Mayfield with more maturity. The Steelers should know this guy extremely well with the Pitt Panthers sharing the Steelers practice facility. I’ll trust the Steeler brass and their judgment.

Wr, olb, ot, dt, cb - gotta get a wr & olb depth.

Draft was ok. I really like the two WRs and Pickett. DL was addressed. I thought they would do something in the defensive backfield but you only have so many picks. But don’t understand drafting a QB. If he is just there to take 4 QBs to camp couldn’t he or someone else be picked up as a FA signing?

Austin seems like an Archer clone not sure what they see in that kind of player
Maybe they will get lucky and he’s more like Tyreek then Archer. I know Kiper a big Raven fan was unhappy the Steelers picked him instead of the Ravens.

I too thought of Dru Archer while seeing the highlights of Austin, looks like the 5’7” listing may be generous. I guess the difference between Archer & Austin is at least Austin played mostly wr in college. Peter King was in the Ravens draft room and reported the Ravens were slated to take Austin with the next pick. I guess if the Steelers & Ravens thought Austin was worth the 4th rd pick (#138 - 139) then the kid must be legit.

I too thought of Dru Archer while seeing the highlights of Austin, looks like the 5’7” listing may be generous. I guess the difference between Archer & Austin is at least Austin played mostly wr in college. Peter King was in the Ravens draft room and reported the Ravens were slated to take Austin with the next pick. I guess if the Steelers & Ravens thought Austin was worth the 4th rd pick (#138 - 139) then the kid must be legit.
i'll go with this sentiment as well. if Ravens were pissed that Steelers took him right before them then that's gotta say something.

i like the weapons we got.

i think Trubisky will find a way to get them the ball (yes, i think he starts over Pickett for at least this season, if he stays healthy)

An offense with Najee, DJ, CC, Muth, Pickens, and Austin??? that's not bad.

Steelers declined 5th year option on LB Devin Bush, which isn't surprising. he has underperformed his draft position. it's a make or break year for him. either perform and MAYBE Steelers might re-sign him but otherwise, he will be a FA.

Steelers declined 5th year option on LB Devin Bush, which isn't surprising. he has underperformed his draft position. it's a make or break year for him. either perform and MAYBE Steelers might re-sign him but otherwise, he will be a FA.
It a shame he showed flashes before the injury. Bush was god awful last year, no burst, couldn’t get off blocks. He was a very big reason why the Steeler run defense was so bad. Maybe Steelers can get his head on straight..sucks to swing and miss on a first round pick.

The Ravens aren't exactly known for their WR drafting prowess so I don't really care what they think about Austin. It's a late fourth round pick so it's worth a shot but he's like 5'8" 165lbs, I'd be shocked if he's not broken by the end of his rookie deal. Maybe they expect to get their value out of him in the first 3 years, we'll see. I'm sure Canada is salivating at all the end-arounds he can run with him

My biggest concern with Pickett is his age. I expect Trubisky will win the starting job next year, meaning Pickett will be 25 if he wins the starting job in 2023. It's possible he wouldn't really hit his stride in the league until he's like 28 years old. Just wish he was like 21 or 22.

Last edited:
We will see if he changes his mind closer to the season.

I fully expect a 4-13 season, but some part of me is a little optimistic.
9 wins last year with a QB who could not move and could not throw. 9 wins with a defense that had un stiller like numbers.

A QB who can move and throw just average-wise could have them at a 11-12 win season. The defense wasnt as bad as their stats I dont believe. They were behind the 8 ball so much with that horrible offense.

I am leaning toward 4-13 tho. Going against Watson, Burrow and Jackson is 6 losses right there.

Josh Allen, Tom Brady, is an automatic 8 losses. That leaves 9 potential wins. Add in the obligatory 2 losses against teams they should have never lose to and at the absolute BEST this team gets to 6 wins.

So, 4-13 is being revised to a 6-11 season.

Improved OL will make the biggest difference from last year. Trubisky will be better than Ben was, Najee will actually have some room to run, and I think Pickens will end up being an upgrade over JuJu.

I'm optimistic Flores will get good results out of Bush and Jack. TJ and Cam will be Pro Bowl caliber. If there are struggles, it will be in the secondary.

As far as the division, Taylor seems to be owning Tomlin quite easily. Not that shocking. But the Browns are in chaos and the Ravens are overrated. They'll go 3-1 against those two. Probably drop both against the Bengals again. 3-3 in the division.

As for the rest of the schedule, who knows. Too many variables

If last year was a playoff team, this year could be, too

To say Bengals head coach Zac Taylor “seems to be owning Tomlin quite easily” …..I think your disdain for Tomlin may be peaking through. In 3 seasons Taylor is 16-32-1:
2019: 2-14-0, 0-2 vs Steelers
2020: 4-11-1, 1-1 vs Steelers
2021: 10-7-0, 2-0 vs Steelers

Yes, Taylor & the Bengals have won 3 straight vs the Steelers but there is one obvious difference between the two teams: Burrow.

I’m optimistic for the Steelers in 2022. Yes, Pickett seems like a Andy Dalton ceiling but hey, I think the Steelers culture & organization can help a Dalton type player get to a AFC Championship game. The problem/challenge is the AFC has gotten so top heave with great qb’s. If the Steelers can:
A) get the oline to take a step forward
B) get solid qb play
C) stay healthy, especially at OLB
D) Pickens pops/becomes a solid player

Maybe, just maybe the Steelers can surprise some people. Regardless, Burrow will be a problem for 8+ years……sorry, I mean Zac Taylor.

Yeah, Taylor beat Tomlin with a guy who's not even in the league. Trying to reduce it to just being about Burrow is foolish

Yes, the Bengals beat Pittsburgh in 2020 with Ryan Finley at qb - that was the beginning of the Taylor coaching dynasty. Burrow rode Finley’s coat tails in 2021 and beat the Steelers in both games. If only the Steelers would have listen to your advice and stuck with the Duck Hodges.

Not realizing that the difference in the AFC North is the Bengals have Burrow and the other 3 teams do not is foolish.

Last edited:
How this stillers team didnt bottom out with BR at QB the last few years is a testament to Tomlin.

A Zack Taylor led team with BR as QB the last few years and you see a few 4 win seasons.

How this stillers team didnt bottom out with BR at QB the last few years is a testament to Tomlin.

A Zack Taylor led team with BR as QB the last few years and you see a few 4 win seasons.
That’s why I think you are being a bit pessimistic about 2022. It would seem on the surface that the Steelers have improved in every area over 2021. Either Mitch or Pickett will be an upgrade over 2020/2021 Ben, offensive line should be improved, year older at RB, Wr/ Te probably a wash. Getting Alana (sp) and Jack will make the run defense better. I understand Steelers are in a good division. I’m not going to say they win it but 9-8, 10-7 is doable IMO.

Yes Roethlisberger and the Steeler offense was horrible for 3.5 quarters in several games last year. However to Roethlisberger’s credit, he pulled 5 (I believe) come from behind 4th quarter W’s last season. There is something to be said for experience and just being good - Roethlisberger just couldn’t do it consistently anymore.

Ready to see what Trubisky & Pickett can do this year.

Christ you guys are such babies. Taylor went the Super Bowl with a roster Tomlin would've gotten bounced in the first round with, at best. The foreseeable future of this division is going to be Tomlin getting punted by Taylor more times than not

Yeah, Taylor beat Tomlin with a guy who's not even in the league. Trying to reduce it to just being about Burrow is foolish
And Tomlin beat Taylor with a guy who's not even in the league.
Yep, for the foreseeable future this should be the Bengals division. But the other 4 division games? Ravens/Steelers games are usually tossups. Who knows how many games Watson will be suspended. We play the AFC East, where we beat their best team last year. We play the NFC South, which outside of the Bucs is very lukewarm. Overall the roster has upgraded significantly. If THAT 2021 group can pull off 9-7-1 this group should (should) get double digit victories