2021 Lancaster Golden Gales!

Dock… you obviously left because at the very end they brought back starters and used the whole field and yes it was 10 plays each !! And Lancaster went down and scored rather easily and north might have got 5-10 yards total at the end .. overall they both used all their players a bunch and both looked small and wish luck to both

Dock… you obviously left because at the very end they brought back starters and used the whole field and yes it was 10 plays each !! And Lancaster went down and scored rather easily and north might have got 5-10 yards total at the end .. overall they both used all their players a bunch and both looked small and wish luck to both
TD pass on the slant route into the endzone for LHS was last play of the scrim, was it not? Or did they play AFTER that?

FWIW — I went back in my notes that I scribbled and WN brought their 2’s in as a unit, having them play a couple series (think the last portion of the shortened field portion was 20 plays each for the younger guys.) Sounds like, by contrast, LHS sprinkled a bunch of younger guys/2’s in with their first team on reps.

Last edited:
Three days of practice this week before the final scrimmage on Thursday night. I’ll be looking to see improvement at every position. It sounds like the Gales played better after I left in the down and distance portion of the scrimmage last Friday which is promising.

The 2021 Lancaster Golden Gales!

Attachments

• 2DB7879D-439F-47BE-95A7-EF936FA2D0FD.jpeg
    2DB7879D-439F-47BE-95A7-EF936FA2D0FD.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 29
Looking forward to the last scrimmage this Thursday against Hilliard Darby. Darby should be a great test to see if the Gales are closer to being game ready for week 1.

With conflicting views on this thread of how the first scrimmage went, it will be interesting to see how well the Gales perform

I do believe Lancaster has the chance to be a pretty good football team this season if the players on the team continue to get better every day.

I'm interested to hear if Darby's new coach is going to insist on running their 1950s offensive set that resulted in them fading into the ranks of the irrelevant this past decade. If they haven't evolved schemes, playing Darby isn't good preparation for anyone playing a schedule like the one Lancaster has, which is mostly pro-style offenses that actually have creativity in the programs. Style-wise, it may prepare them for Marysville, but no one can prepare you for the massive size advantage that team has over most other teams.

Darby graduated some key players last year, and there weren't any underclassmen difference makers I saw on the field. My guess is, they are in for an even further drop this year.

I'm interested to hear if Darby's new coach is going to insist on running their 1950s offensive set that resulted in them fading into the ranks of the irrelevant this past decade. If they haven't evolved schemes, playing Darby isn't good preparation for anyone playing a schedule like the one Lancaster has, which is mostly pro-style offenses that actually have creativity in the programs. Style-wise, it may prepare them for Marysville, but no one can prepare you for the massive size advantage that team has over most other teams.

Darby graduated some key players last year, and there weren't any underclassmen difference makers I saw on the field. My guess is, they are in for an even further drop this year.
QB Horvath is back I believe. But I do agree that they should be able to do other things scheme wise at this point .

My mistake, you are correct. Horvath is back, and he is a good player. I thought he was a senior last year for some reason.

Well, he's a good runner anyway.
Yes he’s an athlete who will make plays . They were more balanced back when they had Ebert at QB in 2007 the year they played Coffman in regional final . They wanted to run first and Ebert was a excellent athlete and runner but could pass a bit too .

They had a really good back (. Richeson ). And a couple good skill kids who get deep . ( Annuzi ? Spelling may be wrong was one of them ). Barn burner 42-35 final. Darby was explosive back then . Had athletes in the following years but started just running more of the time . Darby was playing high caliber offense back then . They lost that game because they had no answer for Jake Stoneburner and Trey Fairchild was also a match up problem for them and the Rocks had the older Stoudt pulling the trigger (. Louisville and Ole Miss transfer ). You can probably still get the highlights on you tube of that game . Lot of athletes on the field . Darby was a bigger school then (. Bradley opening up was a few years away )

Yes he’s an athlete who will make plays . They were more balanced back when they had Ebert at QB in 2007 the year they played Coffman in regional final . They wanted to run first and Ebert was a excellent athlete and runner but could pass a bit too .

They had a really good back (. Richeson ). And a couple good skill kids who get deep . ( Annuzi ? Spelling may be wrong was one of them ). Barn burner 42-35 final. Darby was explosive back then . Had athletes in the following years but started just running more of the time . Darby was playing high caliber offense back then . They lost that game because they had no answer for Jake Stoneburner and Trey Fairchild was also a match up problem for them and the Rocks had the older Stoudt pulling the trigger (. Louisville and Ole Miss transfer ). You can probably still get the highlights on you tube of that game . Lot of athletes on the field . Darby was a bigger school then (. Bradley opening up was a few years away )
1628708536717.png

2020 4-4

Yep... I was at the 2007 game. IMHO, definitely Darby's best team. The split in 2009 took its toll, but I'd agree with you that the offense needs an update.

Last edited:
View attachment 19860

Yep... I was at the 2007 game. IMHO, definitely Darby's best team. The split in 2009 took its toll, but I'd agree with you that the offense needs an update.
Yes no question that was their best team. Beat Davidson for the first time , had more talent than any other year that I saw . Machen was a stud LB and athlete [Ga tech} Ebert was a good receiver at Northwestern . Excellent team and that 2007 Davidson game at Crew stadium was memorable for more than the big win . lol The scheme has helped them become a very consistent program and they won a lot of games . BUT it's time to adapt a bit

Not a new coach same coach for the last 14 years and the best team darby has ever had is the only undefeated team of 2012-2013

Since this is a Lancaster thread I’m going to assume he was referring to the picture of this years Gales football team and the fact they have a new head coach in Bryan Schoonover this season.

You should probably pay more attention ?

Since this is a Lancaster thread I’m going to assume he was referring to the picture of this years Gales football team and the fact they have a new head coach in Bryan Schoonover this season.

You should probably pay more attention ?
yes new to this posting stuff glad to see Gales have a new coach long overdue

Hope all is going well down there . One of my first friends and colleagues in Columbus was from Lenkhuster (. He corrected me ). And was a big Gales football fan . They were seeded high one year (. 2003 ? I think ) and lost to Scioto . Still remember him grumbling about it that Monday morning . Have rooted for them a bit since . Good luck to the Gales .

Pretty good scrimmage tonight for the Gales. It was a shortened scrimmage that they got in even with a rain/lightning delay.

Saw about 8 different backs run the ball for the Gales and they all ran well. The 1’s finished with a 7-7 tie and then started working in a lot of 2’s and 3’s. They didn’t show a whole lot offensively only attempting 2 passes.

Big take away from this one was both teams got great reps in and there weren’t any injuries.

Up next…Beat Pickerington North

Pretty good scrimmage tonight for the Gales. It was a shortened scrimmage that they got in even with a rain/lightning delay.

Saw about 8 different backs run the ball for the Gales and they all ran well. The 1’s finished with a 7-7 tie and then started working in a lot of 2’s and 3’s. They didn’t show a whole lot offensively only attempting 2 passes.

Big take away from this one was both teams got great reps in and there weren’t any injuries.

Up next…Beat Pickerington North
I agree I saw improvement but still Lancaster was not showing a lot. From an earlier thread, Lancaster has indeed been dealing with some COVID positives and those kids did not either participate or fully participate in either scrimmage. Because of that I did see some players at spots they might not necessarily be regularly playing at. I thought this allowed for good experience for the youngsters even with mistakes that they made. Yes Lancaster will still run but Van Gundy has a solid arm at QB and given time can make all the throws and remember he is only a Junior. The player people should watching is A J Locke. That kid plays with the heart of a Lion. He has only gotten better every year. The O-Line should improve as the season moves forward and the Defense is better than it might appear with somewhere between 6-8 starters back. As usual the concern with be the kicking game. I do not expect Lancaster to try any FGs outside of 30 yds. This schedule is daunting if you let it be daunting. Playing 3 of the first 4 at home helps and Marysville game will be difficult going against Powers. I look forward to Friday night and hope for the best for the Gales. Beat PN.

Will Nasir( running back) make it back this week ? He’s definitely a game changer if so , but don’t know how much he’s practiced this off season or the start of official practices ?!? The keys most definitely will be the OLine and defense not giving up the big plays !!