2021 Freshman Football

Who cares what the scores are and if they win or lose. They had a lot of freshman on this team and they need to see what they have. The name of the game is giving these players a taste of high school action and try to determine where they will fit as they progress through the football program over the years. At this level, you are hoping some borderline/undeveloped kids catch the fire in their belly and start putting the necessary work to excel in a few years. This is the formula at St X - keep them in the program, get them in the weight room and then see how they mature as football players. There are plenty of players through the years over there that were not on anyone's radar freshman year then ended up playing significant roles on varsity.

IMHO, the challenge Elder has is the limited coaches they have on Freshman. It is tough to manage that many players with just 2 coaches (I believe) and keep everyone interested in coming back.

I can think of at least 5 freshman coaches off the top of my head. I'm sure that is still not enough. I also agree in the grand scheme of things the scores are meaningless in terms of predicting Varsity results. I will say some of Elder's best Varsity teams excelled on the freshman level.

4 straight offensive goose eggs is concerning, but not the end of the world. I just feel like if personnel didn't get it done 2 straight games maybe try something different the next game. I can't say they didn't do that. I only saw a couple freshman games streaming.

Who cares what the scores are and if they win or lose. They had a lot of freshman on this team and they need to see what they have. The name of the game is giving these players a taste of high school action and try to determine where they will fit as they progress through the football program over the years. At this level, you are hoping some borderline/undeveloped kids catch the fire in their belly and start putting the necessary work to excel in a few years. This is the formula at St X - keep them in the program, get them in the weight room and then see how they mature as football players. There are plenty of players through the years over there that were not on anyone's radar freshman year then ended up playing significant roles on varsity.

IMHO, the challenge Elder has is the limited coaches they have on Freshman. It is tough to manage that many players with just 2 coaches (I believe) and keep everyone interested in coming back.
Getting shutout 4 games in a row is an issue. Looking at this critically, the OL play outside of James wasn’t great. The center struggled with the snap out of shotgun. They don’t have any standout skill players on Offense except Shavers. And neither QB looked particularly good in either game I saw them in.

I can think of at least 5 freshman coaches off the top of my head. I'm sure that is still not enough. I also agree in the grand scheme of things the scores are meaningless in terms of predicting Varsity results. I will say some of Elder's best Varsity teams excelled on the freshman level.

4 straight offensive goose eggs is concerning, but not the end of the world. I just feel like if personnel didn't get it done 2 straight games maybe try something different the next game. I can't say they didn't do that. I only saw a couple freshman games streaming.
You contradicted yourself in the first paragraph. My position will always be they have some meaning, but aren’t absolute predictors of varsity results.

Getting shutout 4 games in a row is an issue. Looking at this critically, the OL play outside of James wasn’t great. The center struggled with the snap out of shotgun. They don’t have any standout skill players on Offense except Shavers. And neither QB looked particularly good in either game I saw them in.
Again - scores don't matter but development does and what I mean by development is getting them ready for varsity. In these games you find out what you have and where you need to improve on. For a team like this, the offseason is critical and getting these guys pointed in the right direction

Thanks for the clarification - glad they have more coaches than 2 (heard that from prior dads with kids on the team)

Again - scores don't matter but development does and what I mean by development is getting them ready for varsity. In these games you find out what you have and where you need to improve on. For a team like this, the offseason is critical and getting these guys pointed in the right direction
That’s very true. It’s also important they figure out where to play a lot of these guys. James is going to be starting on the OL next yr. However, other studs like Selle and Yurian are going to be behind talented upper classmen.

A 4-3 Defense would fit their personnel better. Slide either Heitz or McKenna to DT next to Freeman and have Yurian as the other DE. I don’t think Elder has ever had so much depth in the front 7. IMO, several could be D1 recruits. We know Arnold is going D1. But then from the group of McKenna, Dugan, Selle, Yerian, there could be a few more. Then you’ve got guys like Freeman and Heitz who will be able to lower level college ball.

Williams has a lot of potential to be a great Corner. He worked his way up to starting after being a back up. It’s just not a certainty he’ll stick with football bc he’s got such a promising future with Basketball.