2020 StX Football

Where does the 2020 State Championship Team rank with Bomber teams of the past?
I put them at #4.........

1. 2007: 15-0, 2nd state championship beat Mentor 27-0
2. 2005: 15-0, 1st state championship beat Massillon Washington 24-17
3. 1992: 13-1, Lost to St. Ignatius in state final 24-14, lost Ritter and Doxsey in 1st half due to injury
4. 2020: 10-2, 4th state championship beat Pickerington Central 44-3
5. 1968: 9-0-1, A 6-6 tie in week 10 vs Moeller prevented a perfect season.
6. 1999: 10-1, Lost to Wayne in region 4 final 37-14, Beat Moeller 2x and state champ St. Ignatius 50-33 in regular season
7. 1998: 11-2, Lost to Mike Doss and Canton McKinley in state final 33-10
8. 2016: 10-5 3rd state championship, beat St. Ignatius in final 27-20 (2 OT) at Ohio Stadium
9. 2001: 13-1, Lost to St. Ignatius in state final 37-6, beat St. Ignatius in regular season
10. 1997: 9-3, Lost to Moeller in regional final 23-20 at Nippert Stadium, 2 regular season losses to St. Ignatius (19-14) and Moeller (31-28 in OT) so 3 losses by total of 11 points in Rocky Boiman's senior season. Moeller lost 31-19 to Canton McKinley in state final.
11. 2006: 10-2, Lost to Colerain in regional final 24-7 at Nippert Stadium
12. 2017: 11-2, Lost to Colerain in Region 4 final 21-14 at Dwire Field in Mason

3. 1992: 13-1, Lost to St. Ignatius in state final 24-14, lost Ritter and Doxsey in 1st half due to injury
6. 1999: 10-1, Lost to Wayne in region 4 final 37-14, Beat Moeller 2x and state champ St. Ignatius 50-33 in regular season
8. 2016: 10-5 3rd state championship, beat St. Ignatius in final 27-20 (2 OT) at Ohio Stadium
9. 2001: 13-1, Lost to St. Ignatius in state final 37-6, beat St. Ignatius in regular season
10. 1997: 9-3, Lost to Moeller in regional final 23-20 at Nippert Stadium, 2 regular season losses to St. Ignatius (19-14) and Moeller (31-28 in OT) so 3 losses by total of 11 points in Rocky Boiman's senior season. Moeller lost 31-19 to Canton McKinley in state final.
12. 2017: 11-2, Lost to Colerain in Region 4 final 21-14 at Dwire Field in Mason
Maybe because I was at X at the time, but I put that 92 team ahead of the 2005 and 2020 teams. They just ran people off the field, including that 44-0 decimation of the evil empire at Galbreath. There were some heinous referee calls in the championship game against a monster Ignatius team that we could have beaten. It was the team that put X football on the map.

Overall, I think the '20 team is better than '05, but that's splitting hairs. The '19 team is also close to cracking the bottom half of this list.. 3 losses under one score to the state runner up in D1, and the state champ in d2

Reactions: 4GX

I agree with this pretty much in total. As to bomberinmonroe's point, I can't put 1992 over either 2005 and 2007 although I have very fond memories of the 1992 team. Remember very much listening to the win over Anderson on the radio at my fraternity house (they had a stud running back) the night before Purdue had an epic old oaken bucket victory over IU. And I also remember trekking up to Welcome with my Dad to watch us blow-out some team I can't remember (was it Tiffin or something) in a late afternoon game the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Did not attend the championship game that year. FYI - I am 3-0 in championship games attended in person - 2005, 2007, 2016 - and was scared to death that my non-attendance this year would be a sure loss, lol.

I agree with this pretty much in total. As to bomberinmonroe's point, I can't put 1992 over either 2005 and 2007 although I have very fond memories of the 1992 team. Remember very much listening to the win over Anderson on the radio at my fraternity house (they had a stud running back) the night before Purdue had an epic old oaken bucket victory over IU. And I also remember trekking up to Welcome with my Dad to watch us blow-out some team I can't remember (was it Tiffin or something) in a late afternoon game the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Did not attend the championship game that year. FYI - I am 3-0 in championship games attended in person - 2005, 2007, 2016 - and was scared to death that my non-attendance this year would be a sure loss, lol.
Jason Druso was the kid from Anderson, and he was a stud. I was in a theater production that night, along with a few X guys, and se would take turns running down to the dressing room for updates

Pretty sure the next game was against Piqua, and had the Sollman over the shoulder catch on a punt he took to the house. That game is on YouTube somewhere. That and the championship game were both cold as heck. I remember chipping ice off the stands in Canton.

My wife and I felt the same about missing the game this year. I went in '92, but missed the next two. Was supposed to go in '01, but something came up last minute, so had to watch that drubbing of what my friends and I just knew was our first championship. Funny though, I had the same feeling going into the '16 game as I did this year- probably not going to win, but fun to be there. I told her that, and she said it's going to be a running clock win. Not unhappy to be wrong there.

Jason Druso was the kid from Anderson, and he was a stud. I was in a theater production that night, along with a few X guys, and se would take turns running down to the dressing room for updates

Pretty sure the next game was against Piqua, and had the Sollman over the shoulder catch on a punt he took to the house. That game is on YouTube somewhere. That and the championship game were both cold as heck. I remember chipping ice off the stands in Canton.

My wife and I felt the same about missing the game this year. I went in '92, but missed the next two. Was supposed to go in '01, but something came up last minute, so had to watch that drubbing of what my friends and I just knew was our first championship. Funny though, I had the same feeling going into the '16 game as I did this year- probably not going to win, but fun to be there. I told her that, and she said it's going to be a running clock win. Not unhappy to be wrong there.

Ah yes - Jason Druso. Piqua sounds right on the Welcome game. You know the story on the '01 drubbing (pretty much administered by Gonzalez)? Chico allegedly took the game tape from the regular season game to a few of his Browns buddies and had them do a full analysis/gameplan and went with that. Nothing wrong with it I guess - but a little shady if you ask me.

Yep - expected to win in 92 and 01 (as well as '05 and '07) and expected to lose in 2016, 2020.

Maybe because I was at X at the time, but I put that 92 team ahead of the 2005 and 2020 teams. They just ran people off the field, including that 44-0 decimation of the evil empire at Galbreath. There were some heinous referee calls in the championship game against a monster Ignatius team that we could have beaten. It was the team that put X football on the map.

Overall, I think the '20 team is better than '05, but that's splitting hairs. The '19 team is also close to cracking the bottom half of this list.. 3 losses under one score to the state runner up in D1, and the state champ in d2
I agree with your comments about the 1992 team— and would add that, in addition to the dubious officiating calls in the final, there were the injuries (early in the game) to X‘s QB (which Reload cited)— and then, the questionable (in hindsight) decisions NOT to kick make-able FGs, on 4th down, at least 2 (maybe 3?) times during that game— which ended up with X getting nothing on those possessions. I think if you added 6-9 points to X’s total late in the game, it would have changed the complexion of that game, when X had the ball on its last possession... perhaps Ig would have done some things differently too, but we’ll never know. I sure would have liked to see X compete the whole game with a full complement, especially the QB— that’s what made 2016 SO satisfying— X got blown out at home by Ig that year— with most of the offensive line (in particular the center) and the QB out injured— then totally surprised Ig and Kyle, when those guys (and Clifford) came back for the final—which is why the 2016 final feels like the reverse of the 2001 final, to me.

P.S.— I think that was the coldest temp for a football game that I have attended— not like the Bengals’ Freezer Bowl— but still pretty damn cold.

Ah yes - Jason Druso. Piqua sounds right on the Welcome game. You know the story on the '01 drubbing (pretty much administered by Gonzalez)? Chico allegedly took the game tape from the regular season game to a few of his Browns buddies and had them do a full analysis/gameplan and went with that. Nothing wrong with it I guess - but a little shady if you ask me.

Yep - expected to win in 92 and 01 (as well as '05 and '07) and expected to lose in 2016, 2020.
I had never heard that, shady, but I guess using your available resources. Gonzalez was ridiculous that game

I agree with your comments about the 1992 team— and would add that, in addition to the dubious officiating calls in the final, there were the injuries (early in the game) to X‘s QB (which Reload cited)— and then, the questionable (in hindsight) decisions NOT to kick make-able FGs, on 4th down, at least 2 (maybe 3?) times during that game— which ended up with X getting nothing on those possessions. I think if you added 6-9 points to X’s total late in the game, it would have changed the complexion of that game, when X had the ball on its last possession... perhaps Ig would have done some things differently too, but we’ll never know. I sure would have liked to see X compete the whole game with a full complement, especially the QB— that’s what made 2016 SO satisfying— X got blown out at home by Ig that year— with most of the offensive line (in particular the center) and the QB out injured— then totally surprised Ig and Kyle, when those guys (and Clifford) came back for the final—which is why the 2016 final feels like the reverse of the 2001 final, to me.

P.S.— I think that was the coldest temp for a football game that I have attended— not like the Bengals’ Freezer Bowl— but still pretty damn cold.
Yeah, losing Doxsey and Ritter was tough, those two and Sollman were a backfield that could have started for almost any of the Colerain option teams. Dom Cafeo was a really solid QB, but didn't have the wheels Doxsey did.

Not to take anything away from that Ignatius team though. They were giant on the lines, and late one of their receivers made a fantastic adjustment on a long TD grab to beat future NFL player Lemar Marshall, who was only a sophomore.

Speaking of.. that '94 team could have been even more dominant on defense if Mike Marshall would have stuck with football his senior year. He was a NFL sized linebacker as a junior with football offers from everywhere.

A team that gets over looked is the 1981 team which was the first ever ST X team to make the playoffs. Prior to them only Moeller and Princeton had ever garnered playoff spots in Region 4 DI since the playoffs started in 1972 . They lost to a really great Lancaster team to start the season They then defeated everyone except Moeller in regular season and again lost to them in playoff. Go look at the rosters of the Moeller LaSalle and Elder that year. Bacon and Purcell were still in the GCL and extremely competitive, The GCL was filled with Parade All Americans. If my count is right X had between the Senior and Junior class 13 guys that went D1. 4 of the 5 starting OL plus TE went DI and both DT's and NG did as well. Rasso hadn't really developed offensively as a coach and Sabatello had just arrived but I sure with a guy like Coverdale they would have been a pretty formidable offense to go along with their dominating D. I would definitely put this as a top 10 team since I started going to X games in the 70's.

A team that gets over looked is the 1981 team which was the first ever ST X team to make the playoffs. Prior to them only Moeller and Princeton had ever garnered playoff spots in Region 4 DI since the playoffs started in 1972 . They lost to a really great Lancaster team to start the season They then defeated everyone except Moeller in regular season and again lost to them in playoff. Go look at the rosters of the Moeller LaSalle and Elder that year. Bacon and Purcell were still in the GCL and extremely competitive, The GCL was filled with Parade All Americans. If my count is right X had between the Senior and Junior class 13 guys that went D1. 4 of the 5 starting OL plus TE went DI and both DT's and NG did as well. Rasso hadn't really developed offensively as a coach and Sabatello had just arrived but I sure with a guy like Coverdale they would have been a pretty formidable offense to go along with their dominating D. I would definitely put this as a top 10 team since I started going to X games in the 70's.
That’s some great history John Wayne. Heck, what about the 1985 team (I think) - probably second ever X team to make the playoffs (my freshman year), helmed by OSU great Greg Frey and loser in the first round to Princeton. Of course, back then, first round was regional finals.

Last edited:
This is an interesting discussion that brings back some memories. I would put the 92 team at #3. I saw many of their games that year and really enjoyed the beating they gave to Moeller at their homecoming. I remember at the half, a Moeller student coming on the PA system saying that he hoped everyone enjoyed the first half. I certainly enjoyed it because X was crushing Moeller. I was at the state semifinals game and it was against Piqua when Sollman made that fantastic over the shoulder catch and returned the punt for a TD. I was at the 92 state finals, and it was freezing that game. X had never trailed in a game all year until that game against Ignatius. The loss and the injuries were frustrating in that game. There was a guy on that team who was always fired up and I believe his name was Kevin Glazer. That was a great team. That was the only state finals game I have attended.

I was out of state for grad school and missed the 98 and 01 finals games. I couldn't find anyone available to go for the 05 final and was recovering from spinal cord surgery for the 07 title game. My schedule didn't allow me to make the finals in 16. I hope to make it the next time that X makes the state title game.

I considered the 1981 team (8-3) as a possible top 10 team.
As you mentioned the GCL was loaded that year as they beat Elder 14-11 and LaSalle 12-0 and lost to Moeller and Barry Larkin 37-3 and 18-7.
The OLine of Schmerge, Borowski, Romer, Reilly, Ballinger and Balash was tremendous and the defense was solid.
IMO they were short on playmakers at the offensive skill positions.

1981 Defense (senior unless noted)
Nick Aloe NG 6’ 237lb; All State, All City, 1st Team GCL, "That's My Boy Award" - Holy Cross
Todd Schiller DL 6’3” 243lb; All City, 1st Team GCL - Holy Cross
Greg Nicklas DL 6’2” 205lb; 2nd Team GCL
John Klare DL 6’4” 198lb Georgia Tech
Rob Stachler DL 5’9” 188lb; Spirit Award
Jon Bordeaux LB 6’1” 184lb; 2nd Team GCL
Greg Dittrich LB 6’1” 202lb
Trey Green LB Jr. 5’10” 176lb; 2nd Team GCL his Sr. Year
Alex DiTullio DB 5’8” 150lb; 1st Team GCL, StX Best Defensive Back;
Joe Dusa S 6’0” 165lb; 2nd Team GCL
John Vesprani DB 6’2” 160lb; Jr. Most Improved Jr.;; Hon. Mention All State Sr. Year
Brendan Burns DB - Miami University
David Tasset LB - Xavier University

1981 Offense (senior unless noted)

Mike Kelly QB 6’1” 188lb; 2nd Team GCL
Steve Rasso RB 5’9” 165lb; Dr. Meyer Award
Matt Vehr FB 5’11” 194lb
Paul Schmerge TE 6’3” 212lb; GCL Player of Year, StX MVP, 1st Team GCL - Michigan
Andy Held SE 5’11” 154lb; Most Improved Senior
Jeff Stagnaro FL 5’9” 143lb; Tim Banker Award
Bill Romer C 6’4” 206lb; 2nd Team GCL, StX Best Offensive Lineman - Holy Cross
Kevin Reilly OT 6’3” 221lb; 1st Team GCL - Holy Cross
Andy Borowski OT 6’5” 223lb; Jr. Hon. Mention All American, 1st Team All State Sr. Yr - Michigan
Pete Balash OG 6’3” 215lb Xavier University
Mike Maratea OT 5’11” 230lb
Rob Ballinger OG Jr.; 5’11” 185lb; 1st Team GCL his Sr. Year

Last edited:
That’s some great history John Wayne. Heck, what about the 1985 team (I think) - probably second ever X team to make the playoffs (my freshman year), helmed by OSU great Greg Frey and loser in the first round to Princeton. Of course, back then, first round was regional finals.

Frey and Specht's senior year was 1985 and they finished 6-4 (no playoffs)
The second StX team to make the playoffs after the 1981 team was the 1987 team
They finished 8-2 and as the 4th seed lost to #1 seed Princeton in the 1st round 28-0 at Viking Stadium.
The region was expanded from 2 playoff teams to 4 teams in 1985.
Princeton went on to win the state title and finished ranked 4th in the country.
They were led by defensive lineman William Reese (lineman of the year in Ohio, Michigan State) and standout RB Marcus Thomas.
The 1987 Bomber offense was led by QB Mike Healey (Vanderbilt) who threw for just over 3,000 yards in 2 years (7th Bomber history)
Healey played WR his sophomore year catching passes from Greg Frey.
The 1987 Bomber defense was led by LB Dennis DiCarlo a 3 year varsity starter who is StX all time leading tackler (331 tackles)

This is an interesting discussion that brings back some memories. I would put the 92 team at #3. I saw many of their games that year and really enjoyed the beating they gave to Moeller at their homecoming. I remember at the half, a Moeller student coming on the PA system saying that he hoped everyone enjoyed the first half. I certainly enjoyed it because X was crushing Moeller. I was at the state semifinals game and it was against Piqua when Sollman made that fantastic over the shoulder catch and returned the punt for a TD. I was at the 92 state finals, and it was freezing that game. X had never trailed in a game all year until that game against Ignatius. The loss and the injuries were frustrating in that game. There was a guy on that team who was always fired up and I believe his name was Kevin Glazer. That was a great team. That was the only state finals game I have attended.

I was out of state for grad school and missed the 98 and 01 finals games. I couldn't find anyone available to go for the 05 final and was recovering from spinal cord surgery for the 07 title game. My schedule didn't allow me to make the finals in 16. I hope to make it the next time that X makes the state title game.
Yep, Glaser played D line on that team. Funny thing is, I don't know if that team produced any D1 players. Sollman went to Notre Dame for baseball, and I think walked on for football. The defense was very good that year, but didn't seem to have a real next level talent.

I think going into the title game Ignatius and X were both in the USA Today top 5 or 10, and there was talk that it was almost a national championship game.

Yep, Glaser played D line on that team. Funny thing is, I don't know if that team produced any D1 players. Sollman went to Notre Dame for baseball, and I think walked on for football. The defense was very good that year, but didn't seem to have a real next level talent.

I think going into the title game Ignatius and X were both in the USA Today top 5 or 10, and there was talk that it was almost a national championship game.

6 seniors were the heart of the 1992 defense: Glaser, Neal, Hoffman, Reichart, Clevidence and Allen.
Dave Neal at 6’0” 220lb was a 3 year varsity starter at LB (1990-1992) and is 11th StX all time tackles with 245 (1992: 106 tackles, 1991: 101 tackles, 1990: 38 tackles). In Specht’s book 4th and Redemption he writes about when Neal gave the 2016 team a pep talk before the championship game vs St. Ignatius. Classic!

Most of the players on the 1992 team weren't big enough to play D1 college football.
The only ones I can think of were 3 sophomores: Tim Banker LB 6’1” 183lb - Miami OH, Mike Gusich Safety 5’11” 158lb - Illinois and LeMar Marshall CB 6’1” 170lb - Michigan State and 9 year NFL career (ht and wt their sophomore year)

The offensive backfield was small (5 guys between 155lbs and 165lbs)....Jamie Doxsey QB Sr. 5’11” 165lb, Damian Dooros QB Jr. 6’1” 159lb, Scott Sollman RB Sr. 5’9” 160lb, Kevin Ritter RB Jr. 5’11” 155lb and Nick Reilly RB Soph. 5’10” 156lb.

But explosive......Doxsey 937 yards rushing and nearly another 1,000 yards passing, Sollman 2,512 all-purpose yards (1,215 rushing yards, 907 yards on kick returns and 390 yards pass receiving) and Ritter 814 yards rushing. Sollman scored 34 touchdowns in 14 games received"That's My Boy" honors by the National Football Foundation, was Cincinnati Enquirer and Cincinnati Post Division I Player of the Year and First Team All-Ohio.

Doxsey went to NKU to play baseball. His high school career was riddled with injuries. He missed junior year due to pre-season shoulder separation, the first 3 games of his senior year with an ankle injury and then the 2nd half of the state final with a hand injury.

The StX OLine was small by today's standards: Tom Macejko OG Sr. 6’3” 232lb, Dave Caldwell OT Sr. 6’4” 255lb, Matt Keith OT Sr. 6’2” 260lb, Dan Williams OT Jr. 6’2” 270lb, Dave Allspach OT Jr. 6’3” 200lb, Matt Pulskamp OT Jr. 6’2” 230lb and Scott Schmidt OT Jr. 6’2” 230lb.

The 1992 special teams were the best ever.....Sollman returning punts and kickoffs and senior punter Jason Cohill (39.6 yard avg) and junior place kicker Dan Fricke (9 of 12 on FGs and 54/54 PATs) both AP 2nd Team All Ohio. Cohill (6'2" 196lb) also played tight end and was the leading receiver in '92 with 39 catches for 690 yards.

3 of the players on the team came back to teach/coach at StX…..Dave Allspach, Tim Banker and Matt Keith. Banker and Keith still on staff.

The St. Ignatius 1992 team was loaded (OL Eric Gohlstin Ohio State, RB Eric Haddad Purdue, QB Scott Mutryn Boston College, NFL) but the 1993 team was even better

Last edited:
6 seniors were the heart of the 1992 defense: Glaser, Neal, Hoffman, Reichart, Clevidence and Allen.
Dave Neal at 6’0” 220lb was a 3 year varsity starter at LB (1990-1992) and is 11th StX all time tackles with 245 (1992: 106 tackles, 1991: 101 tackles, 1990: 38 tackles). In Specht’s book 4th and Redemption he writes about when Neal gave the 2016 team a pep talk before the championship game vs St. Ignatius. Classic!

Most of the players on the 1992 team weren't big enough to play D1 college football.
The only ones I can think of were 3 sophomores: Tim Banker LB 6’1” 183lb - Miami OH, Mike Gusich Safety 5’11” 158lb - Illinois and LeMar Marshall CB 6’1” 170lb - Michigan State and 9 year NFL career (ht and wt their sophomore year)

The offensive backfield was small (5 guys between 155lbs and 165lbs)....Jamie Doxsey QB Sr. 5’11” 165lb, Damian Dooros QB Jr. 6’1” 159lb, Scott Sollman RB Sr. 5’9” 160lb, Kevin Ritter RB Jr. 5’11” 155lb and Nick Reilly RB Soph. 5’10” 156lb.

But explosive......Doxsey 937 yards rushing and nearly another 1,000 yards passing, Sollman 2,512 all-purpose yards (1,215 rushing yards, 907 yards on kick returns and 390 yards pass receiving) and Ritter 814 yards rushing. Sollman scored 34 touchdowns in 14 games received"That's My Boy" honors by the National Football Foundation, was Cincinnati Enquirer and Cincinnati Post Division I Player of the Year and First Team All-Ohio.

Doxsey went to NKU to play baseball. His high school career was riddled with injuries. He missed junior year due to pre-season shoulder separation, the first 3 games of his senior year with an ankle injury and then the 2nd half of the state final with a hand injury.

The StX OLine was small by today's standards: Tom Macejko OG Sr. 6’3” 232lb, Dave Caldwell OT Sr. 6’4” 255lb, Matt Keith OT Sr. 6’2” 260lb, Dan Williams OT Jr. 6’2” 270lb, Dave Allspach OT Jr. 6’3” 200lb, Matt Pulskamp OT Jr. 6’2” 230lb and Scott Schmidt OT Jr. 6’2” 230lb.

The 1992 special teams were the best ever.....Sollman returning punts and kickoffs and senior punter Jason Cohill (39.6 yard avg) and junior place kicker Dan Fricke (9 of 12 on FGs and 54/54 PATs) both AP 2nd Team All Ohio. Cohill (6'2" 196lb) also played tight end and was the leading receiver in '92 with 39 catches for 690 yards.

3 of the players on the team came back to teach/coach at StX…..Dave Allspach, Tim Banker and Matt Keith. Banker and Keith still on staff.

The St. Ignatius 1992 team was loaded (OL Eric Gohlstin Ohio State, RB Eric Haddad Purdue, QB Scott Mutryn Boston College, NFL)
but the 1993 team was even better
Keith isn’t a coach anymore, Coverdale didn’t bring him back.

The St. Ignatius 1992 team was loaded (OL Eric Gohlstin Ohio State, RB Eric Haddad Purdue, QB Scott Mutryn Boston College, NFL) but the 1993 team was even better
I remember Dave Neal was built like a tank then. And if Dan "Baby Beef" Williams was 6'2, then I'm 6'8, lol.

I remember Ignatius coming out for warm ups, and X looking like a D2 or D3 school comparatively. I think their O line averaged something around 260, and the D line averaged a few pounds more. Mutryn was bigger than almost everyone X had, and he was their QB.

I also attended that 1992 game in the most frigid conditions that I have ever sat through a football game in many, many decades. I respectfully have a different view of who was the better team that day - Ignatius, yet recognizing the injuries the Bombers had, but I did not see the officiating calls as “dubious”. I still have a tape of that game and will have to view again some day. The icy conditions on the field were really bad and I can see why the coaching decisions not to attempt FGs.

That ’92 Ignatius team was loaded with college and NFL talent
Mutryn (QB) – Boston College and signed by the NE Patriots, but later cut
Haddad (RB) – Purdue
Day (DE) – Ohio State [unfortunately behind Mike Vrabel on the depth chart for 2 years]
Buzin (OT and DT) - Penn State
Gohlstin (OT) – Ohio State (all Big Ten center in ’97, played in the Arena FB league)
Gizzi (LB) – Air Force Academy and played for the Green Bay Packers (still a coach for the Packers)
Rees (OG) – Villanova
Krebs (TE) – Villanova

Last edited:
I also attended that 1992 game in the most frigid conditions that I have ever sat through a football game in many, many decades. I respectfully have a different view of who was the better team that day - Ignatius, yet recognizing the injuries the Bombers had, but I did not see the officiating calls as “dubious”. I still have a tape of that game and will have to view again some day. The icy conditions on the field were really bad and I can see why the coaching decisions not to attempt FGs.

That ’92 Ignatius team was loaded with college and NFL talent
Mutryn (QB) – Boston College and signed by the NE Patriots, but later cut
Haddad (RB) – Purdue
Day (DE) – Ohio State [unfortunately behind Walt Vrabel on the depth chart for 2 years]
Buzin (OT and DT) - Penn State
Gohlstin (OT) – Ohio State (all Big Ten center in ’97, played in the Arena FB league)
Gizzi (LB) – Air Force Academy and played for the Green Bay Packers (still a coach for the Packers)
Rees (OG) – Villanova
Krebs (TE) – Villanova
Yeah, that's the coldest game I've ever been too, and at the old stadium before it was refurbished, it was just brutal. I believe the field was astroturf then too, which was brick hard in the summer, and titanium when frozen.

There were two plays that stuck out to me that the refs blew, but they were really critical. The deep ball on the first Ignatius drive was not caught and controlled in bounds, and it really wasn't close. The other was a fumble Ignatius should have lost, but the ball carrier was ruled down.

That being said, St I was the better team, they were just monsters, and X was really just an upstart then. Nobody on X's team had the size to match, they were all speed and shiftiness. They really didn't have much business sticking around in that game, especially with the injuries. Probably my favorite X team until 2005, because I knew so many of the guys, they were kind of ragtag and fun, and that season was unexpected.

In no particular order:

The thing I most remember about '92 was destroying Moe 44-0 at Galbraith Field, the 1st win vs. Moe in 20+ years. After the game at Silver SpringHouse some Moe guys got mouthy at a raucous X group (I plead the 5th) and the Owner tossed out the Moe guys. Sollman went off in the game , seems like punt return TD and long runs and maybe short pass turned into a TD. He scored about 4?

A few more records I think, Reload can probably check:

Grant Lyons with 6 TFL's in the finals I think ties a one game TFL record.
in Nolan's starts he had extremely high completion percentage in both, I think at our near a record for each?

BTW, the '81 list of linemen including Kevin Reilly going to Holy Cross. He is now Dr. Reilly, team doc, brother of school prez, and most importantly for the '20 team, father to starting OLB '48 Sean Reilly. I saw a reference to some Klares on one of those teams, which I believe is uncle to current TE/K/P Max. Kinda funny Max catches TD's and touches the ball, feel free to give the earlier generation (including his dad) a hard time as they were all hands the dirt players.

In no particular order:

The thing I most remember about '92 was destroying Moe 44-0 at Galbraith Field, the 1st win vs. Moe in 20+ years. After the game at Silver SpringHouse some Moe guys got mouthy at a raucous X group (I plead the 5th) and the Owner tossed out the Moe guys. Sollman went off in the game , seems like punt return TD and long runs and maybe short pass turned into a TD. He scored about 4?

in Nolan's starts he had extremely high completion percentage in both, I think at our near a record for each?
Yeah, Sollman had a monster night, including taking back the opening kick of the second half for a touchdown. I remember Tom Meyer on the PA all week doing "it will not happen again", and hanging from the goalposts after the game until we were run off the field. Damn the things you remember after 28 years, lol.

Congrats to the following Bombers for being named to the D1 All-Ohio Team:

1st Team:
Liam Clifford- WR, State Co-Offensive Player of the Year (shared with Lorenzo Styles Jr.)
Brogan McCaughey- QB
Gio Albanese-DL
Matt Devine- LB

2nd Team:
Brian Parker-OL (thought he had a strong case for 1st team)

3rd Team
Gabe Dubois- DB

A little tidbit: Druso is Brogan McCaughey's uncle...you can win a beer at the bar w/this knowledge :)

In no particular order:

Grant was a stud in final...fun to watch. If they keep playing moe & winton multiple times per year, they better play 3rd stringers just to sell more hot dogs...