2015 Middle Hitter Commits List Started

Since I live in the DC area, I've been out to a few GMU matches, and I almost always catch their match against Ohio State when the Buckeyes come to town. It's interesting that Mason has signed three Virginia kids, because you don't hear much about boys high school volleyball in this part of the world.

It does seem a little out of the ordinary, because they don't have that many Virginia kids on their roster either.

http://www.gomason.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=25200&SPID=84995&SPSID=611149

They have a decent little gymnasium at Mason.

RAC-C-lg.jpg

On the flipside some would say that RVC and Coastal are two of the top clubs nationally for boys, and am shocked that George Mason doesn't have more Virginia kids. These past couple years have been remarkable for Coastal in particular.

On the flipside some would say that RVC and Coastal are two of the top clubs nationally for boys, and am shocked that George Mason doesn't have more Virginia kids. These past couple years have been remarkable for Coastal in particular.
That may be why Mason's record has been so bad lately? I won't say that I've tracked Mason's roster that closely over the years, but I don't recall them ever having that many Virginia kids on their roster at the same time. Considering that neither UVa nor VaTech have a men's volleyball program, you'd think Mason would be able to take advantage of that.

Last edited:
Mason has 4 VA kids currently on their roster. Double from anywhere else...

Coastal has had a nice run, but mostly at 16's and 17's. 2014 18's went winless at Nationals.

Projecting kids to college ball is just so far removed from how their club does. Size, arm speed, and potential are what the college coaches want.
Plus with the proliferation of international players coming here to play college ball, there are very few roster spots to go around.
40 DI / II teams x 20 roster spots = 800 players
That's approximately 160 boys per recruiting class (counting for redshirts).
With about 40 scholarships to spilt up for those spots.

Mason has 4 VA kids currently on their roster. Double from anywhere else...

Coastal has had a nice run, but mostly at 16's and 17's. 2014 18's went winless at Nationals.

Projecting kids to college ball is just so far removed from how their club does. Size, arm speed, and potential are what the college coaches want.
Plus with the proliferation of international players coming here to play college ball, there are very few roster spots to go around.
40 DI / II teams x 20 roster spots = 800 players
That's approximately 160 boys per recruiting class (counting for redshirts).
With about 40 scholarships to spilt up for those spots.

Actually, there would be 180 scholarships to go around as each Div 1/2 school receives 4.5 scholarships to spread on their team.

Actually, there would be 180 scholarships to go around as each Div 1/2 school receives 4.5 scholarships to spread on their team.

Yes, but that's total roster. Not each year.

Then factor in that Harvard and Princeton don't offer any athletic money. Plus some schools aren't fully funded with 4.5 scholarships.