2009. Most Happy/Disappointing with Football

Popps

What were your Most Happy and Disappointed with during the 2009 Football Season?

Below are few. Feel free to add your own:

21-0 Winton Woods
Comeback vs Winton Woods
Running Game
Passing Game
Special Teams
Elder Win
X Loss
GCL 2nd place
Win @ St. ED's
Unprepared for Middletown
Handshake
9-2
Marcus Rush
Jeff Tanner
Richie Dyer
Hendrix
Band
Cheering Section
Lockland Stadium
Newspaper Articles
Add your own.:rainbow:

That's a big list.....I really enjoyed watching Rush play this year and how the team performed at the Pit. It was good to see #2 develop into a really good back. Clearly the biggest disappointment was the debacle to the end the season.

Rush is flat out a beast on the defensive side. I see him making an impact at MSU freshman year. O line looked really solid the whole year. Would of liked to have better recievers for Hendrix. They should of had number 32 play both ways for moeller.

I'd have to say I was most disappointed with the coaching at the end of the year. On the defensive side of the ball the staff had no answer for X's counter or Middletown's qb.
On the offensive side when a team stopped our running game we had no answer again. We'd either throw for 3 when we needed 6 yards or our wr's dropped balls that hit them in the hands.
Special teams were either great or awful, no consistency.
No disciplne, too many holding and offsides penalties.

I'd have to say I was most disappointed with the coaching at the end of the year. On the defensive side of the ball the staff had no answer for X's counter or Middletown's qb.
On the offensive side when a team stopped our running game we had no answer again. We'd either throw for 3 when we needed 6 yards or our wr's dropped balls that hit them in the hands.
Special teams were either great or awful, no consistency.
No disciplne, too many holding and offsides penalties.

:thumb: :thumb:

Disappointment isn't an adequate description

I am a proud Moeller football state champion alum. I have a seventh grade son that is likely to be a good athlete with offensive lineman size. I have been taking him to Moeller games since he could walk. His brother graduated from Moeller and he can't wait to go there himself.

After what I witnessed against Middletown, I am sending him to play for Specht.

For a defensive coordinator to walk off the field at halftime of any game, much less a playoff game is totally unconscionable. For a headcoach to allow a situation with an assistant to escalate to that point coupled with a complete lack of preparation of a very talented team for a good but beatable opponent is reprehensible. I'm sure our Moe kids are not angels just as I wasn't but, my God, they deserve better coaching than that.

Most good football coaches at any level preach selflessness and selling yourself out for the team. Doesn't that start with the head coach and his staff?

I love Moeller High School and always will. The academic environment coupled with athletic programs that are state championship caliber in nearly every sport are second to none, but as a father of a football athlete, I will not subject my kid to such incompetency.

I am done with the LaSalle experiment. To borrow a coaching press conference quote, "they are who we thought they were."

Have to agree with GCLMAN, what a huge disappointment for a coaching staff to get into a situation like that during the game. The players who have worked much of their young lives to get to that point in their careers and have a coach, an adult, quit on them and the team. Hope this situation gets corrected so it does not happen again. Moeller and the kids deserve much better.

Have to agree with GCLMAN, what a huge disappointment for a coaching staff to get into a situation like that during the game. The players who have worked much of their young lives to get to that point in their careers and have a coach, an adult, quit on them and the team. Hope this situation gets corrected so it does not happen again. Moeller and the kids deserve much better.

I agree with GCLMAN as well. Moeller's football program deserves the best and the brightest coaches in the high school game. I did not see that this season from a defensive or offensive perspective. That fall's on the head coach and his ability to run the program from the top.

Problems that were evident in week 1 were still there in week 11. Penalties, special team mistakes and a defense that had no clue from a scheme perspective (not taking anything away from the kids and their ability). Offensively, Moeller has a QB going onto Notre Dame that had virtually no impact on the outcome of a high school game??? Is this the best that Moeller can do??

When I think of coaching, I think of Spect, Ramsy and Coombs. Right now Moe's program has the talent to compete for state titles every year and will so in the future. It will come down to coaching the kids up. At this point that has me more than concerned. Hopefully JR will find the best coordinators he can so the program can move beyond future underacheiving playoff teams.

Assistant Coach's

Just curious, but how much money do assistants get paid? Does Moeller have the money to get quality assistant coaches?

Dont want to burst your bubble, but the chances of your son plaing in college at a big time program are remote. Even starting at the varsity HS level takes a specail athelte and circumstances. The good things about Moe you remember are still there, if not better. If Moe was good for you and he feels comfortable and excited about going there, that is where he needs to be.

That said, it all starts at the top, beginning with the AD and the principal. The football program was set back 8 years under Crable and that is the sole repsonsibility of the AD (and since nothing was done, the principla) - and our downfall (not W/L but morale, kids wanting to play, school spirit, etc. )corresponded with the rise of Elder and X. It is starting to get better but this years coaching debacle at Mtown took it back a half step, I agree. This shouldve couldve been the year. A good AD is involved with all the programs and serves as a mentor to all coaches. There were problems with the DC before this and the AD should have been on top of it befoe it got out of hand. The AD also allows Dads to coach and that never ends up good. I could go on and on, but the best advice was for you to send your son to Moe and get involved.

Dont want to burst your bubble, but the chances of your son plaing in college at a big time program are remote. Even starting at the varsity HS level takes a specail athelte and circumstances. The good things about Moe you remember are still there, if not better. If Moe was good for you and he feels comfortable and excited about going there, that is where he needs to be.

That said, it all starts at the top, beginning with the AD and the principal. The football program was set back 8 years under Crable and that is the sole repsonsibility of the AD (and since nothing was done, the principla) - and our downfall (not W/L but morale, kids wanting to play, school spirit, etc. )corresponded with the rise of Elder and X. It is starting to get better but this years coaching debacle at Mtown took it back a half step, I agree. This shouldve couldve been the year. A good AD is involved with all the programs and serves as a mentor to all coaches. There were problems with the DC before this and the AD should have been on top of it befoe it got out of hand. The AD also allows Dads to coach and that never ends up good. I could go on and on, but the best advice was for you to send your son to Moe and get involved.

You can write 20 paragraphs about all this BS. The bottom line to sucess is COACHING...PERIOD. Moeller has the talent but very average coaching. This must change. Rhodenberg better step it up in a hurry!

You are entitled to your opinion...and the facts can not be disputed and St. X is a great school. But...

Your words...

"I love Moeller High School and always will. The academic environment coupled with athletic programs that are state championship caliber in nearly every sport are second to none, but as a father of a football athlete, I will not subject my kid to such incompetency."

You are simply choosing one football program over another...not a school.
Fact is...if your are choosing a football program, St. Ignatius, St. Thomas Aquinas, Don Bosco Prep and oddly, as of today...Elder...have proven to have better football programs at this moment.

What I have witnessed at Moeller is that you are not the first alumni to desert the program in the tough times...and you won't be the last. There is a very small, but dedicated group of football almuni are currently invovled (Thank You Men!) But, today we need every football alumnus to contibute in many ways...and not just financially.

Moeller Football has many fixable issues that need attention right now! It has nothing to do with coaching (Klonne, Crable and Rodenburg) all are good coaches...it is a culture issue...and only one group of people can help make change...and that group is the football alumni.

Since you have a year untill you need to make a final decision on St. X...why don't you step up for 12 months and get involved. I am currently at the beginning of getting involved and we can do it together. You can then see if you still want to send your boy to St. X.

At one point, Moeller was there for you...hopefully, you will be there for Moeller Football when it needs you the most.

Either way...you son will get a great education, and that is all that matters.

PM me if you want to discuss it further...

And how exactly are a small group of football alumni going to change the culture? I'm all ears :shrug:

I am a proud Moeller football state champion alum. I have a seventh grade son that is likely to be a good athlete with offensive lineman size. I have been taking him to Moeller games since he could walk. His brother graduated from Moeller and he can't wait to go there himself.

For a defensive coordinator to walk off the field at halftime of any game, much less a playoff game is totally unconscionable. For a headcoach to allow a situation with an assistant to escalate to that point coupled with a complete lack of preparation of a very talented team for a good but beatable opponent is reprehensible. I'm sure our Moe kids are not angels just as I wasn't but, my God, they deserve better coaching than that.

Most good football coaches at any level preach selflessness and selling yourself out for the team. Doesn't that start with the head coach and his staff?

I love Moeller High School and always will. The academic environment coupled with athletic programs that are state championship caliber in nearly every sport are second to none, but as a father of a football athlete, I will not subject my kid to such incompetency.

I am done with the LaSalle experiment. To borrow a coaching press conference quote, "they are who we thought they were."

GCLMAN...I got your PM...for some reason...it won't let me reply. Please send me a PM with an email...I have a response for you. Thanks!

Go Away!

This sounds very characteristic of parents these days. If I don't get my way I'm going to take my kid somewhere else. BOOHOOO. Go on over to X your kid won't be Happy. Maybe you should join him!
Just ask the kids that went back to LW if they made the right decision or did their parents make the decision for them. I'm sure alot of them would have been happy to be on that State Championship Baseball team back in the spring.
Anyway, parents will be parents and this parent thinks his son who he has been cultivating since he was in diapers that Moeller is second to none by his own word says that is going to send him to X because of a fixable problem. Little Spoiled are we. Great message that your sending your kid!

That is the problem with parents in general these days. Tooo many of them are spoiled and when there is a little heat run away or are so overbearing that whenever something happens they think a change of scenery will make it better. Memo to parents other schools have problems to!
Lastly, its about the Kids and not the parents! Grow UP!:rainbow:

:thumb: :D
This sounds very characteristic of parents these days. If I don't get my way I'm going to take my kid somewhere else. BOOHOOO. Go on over to X your kid won't be Happy. Maybe you should join him!
Just ask the kids that went back to LW if they made the right decision or did their parents make the decision for them. I'm sure alot of them would have been happy to be on that State Championship Baseball team back in the spring.
Anyway, parents will be parents and this parent thinks his son who he has been cultivating since he was in diapers that Moeller is second to none by his own word says that is going to send him to X because of a fixable problem. Little Spoiled are we. Great message that your sending your kid!

That is the problem with parents in general these days. Tooo many of them are spoiled and when there is a little heat run away or are so overbearing that whenever something happens they think a change of scenery will make it better. Memo to parents other schools have problems to!
Lastly, its about the Kids and not the parents! Grow UP!:rainbow:

:thumb: :D :D

Are you serious?

Tell me how expecting the head coach to be able to control his staff enough that they don't walk of the field at halftime of a playoff game is whining and trying to get my way?

The head coach when I played at Moeller or in college wouldn't have put with that crap for a New York minute. That's about as old school as it gets. Btw, please scream at my kid, kick him in the a** when he jumps offside and do whatever you must to instill discipline, just promise me you won't walk out on him and the rest of team in the middle of a playoff game. I bet you pansies never took a swat either. Your mommies wouldn't have like that now would they? Don't talk to me about whining, you guys don't have a clue.

Move On!

Tell me how expecting the head coach to be able to control his staff enough that they don't walk of the field at halftime of a playoff game is whining and trying to get my way?

The head coach when I played at Moeller or in college wouldn't have put with that crap for a New York minute. That's about as old school as it gets. Btw, please scream at my kid, kick him in the a** when he jumps offside and do whatever you must to instill discipline, just promise me you won't walk out on him and the rest of team in the middle of a playoff game. I bet you pansies never took a swat either. Your mommies wouldn't have like that now would they? Don't talk to me about whining, you guys don't have a clue.

GCLMAN,
It's time to move on. You've had your fun. Good Luck at X!:rainbow:
By the way I signed the board! Did you?

GCLMAN,
It's time to move on. You've had your fun. Good Luck at X!:rainbow:
By the way I signed the board! Did you?
I don't believe GCLMAN is "...having fun...". In fact if you really read through what he posted he's in a lot of pain for what has become of the Moeller football program over the past 10-12 years. One thing all of you are missing in this is the image of Moeller Football. Win or lose people are talking about Moeller in a not so pretty manner.

The incidents at Centerville and with Middletown in the playoffs do not look good. If you are worried about the future success of Moeller you want the pipeline to remain open. If you have an alumnus saying he is no longer going to send his son to Moe then what about the families and students who have Moeller on their radar but don't necessarily have a strong commitment to go there? Moeller has a serious public image problem that needs to be addressed. Maybe they need to publicize more about the public service and all the other good things that go on at Moeller. Moeller is a good school but you have to be honest and admit that at least with the football program there has been some real problems with coaching and image for the past 12 years. The two incidents this year, whether they were Moeller's fault or not, Moeller was involved and it does not look good.

Last edited:
I think he is really torn...he knows advancement of the program is needed. Sadly...it does seem some days we are using the same PR Firm that Tiger Woods uses.

I don't believe GCLMAN is "...having fun...". In fact if you really read through what he posted he's in a lot of pain for what has become of the Moeller football program over the past 10-12 years. One thing all of you are missing in this is the image of Moeller Football. Win or lose people are talking about Moeller in a not so pretty manner.

The incidents at Centerville and with Middletown in the playoffs do not look good. If you are worried about the future success of Moeller you want the pipeline to remain open. If you have an alumnus saying he is no longer going to send his son to Moe than what about the families and students who have Moeller on their radar but don't necessarily have a strong commitment to go there? Moeller has a serious public image problem that needs to be addressed. Maybe they need to publicize more about the public service and all the other good things that go on at Moeller. Moeller is a good school but you have to be honest and admit that at least with the football program there has been some real problems with coaching and image for the past 12 years. The two incidents this year, whether they were Moeller's fault or not, Moeller was involved and it does not look good.

Well said. Something needs to happen because it seems like we take a step forward and two steps back. He's not the only football alum that I've talked to that feels as he does.

Starting with the Middletown game: I was there and am glad the coaches didn't do the handshake at the end of the game. The Middletown fans were in a frenzy and our players were ready to explode. It was evident by the look on their faces. Why put kids in danger over a handshake. Even after the game some Middletown fans (students and parents) continued to yell obsentities at Moeller buses and fans. There were not enough police to handle this if a confrontation arose. The Middletown coaches and players were not to blame it was some of their fans. I heard many reoccuring comments during this game by the fans. I heard whoevers family can write the biggest check gets the position on the field, coaches who have sons on the team coach only their sons and leave the rest of the players to fend for themselves, alumi kids get special treatment over non-alums, why are they playing Sophmores and Juniors when they have Seniors who are just as good or better, ( I have no idea if any of this rings true but that's what was being said around me and others were in agreement) and worst of all the fans just gave up. Even before the 2nd half the fans just quit cheering. They were bitter. It was pitiful. I felt bad for the players. It seemed some coaches (if the defensive coach really did quit) and the fans gave up on them. Moeller should have advanced farther in the playoffs this year but fell short. Why? I don't know. All I do know is the boys did a great job and Moeller missed there chance for a state title. Even Moeller's 2nd string could have beat many other teams first string. They had a great squad. If the right combination was in place we would be going to play football tomorrow.

Wow...as a long time admirer of the Moeller High School Football program, I am dissappointed with the attitude conveyed by these posts by the Moeller faithful. Last I checked, Moeller is in the playoff run every year and continues to send players to great schools (large & small) to extend their playing career as well as continue their great education.

It does appear that Moeller played a nine game schedule in 2009 and did not show up for the St. Xavier game or the Middletown game. I also agree that there was a state championship caliber team on Montgomery Road this year and proper adjustments were not made during the final two games of the season.

I hope the issues are addressed and Moeller is back in the hunt next year.

I'm pretty sure the attitudes on this thread will not accomplish that though.

Wow...as a long time admirer of the Moeller High School Football program, I am dissappointed with the attitude conveyed by these posts by the Moeller faithful. Last I checked, Moeller is in the playoff run every year and continues to send players to great schools (large & small) to extend their playing career as well as continue their great education.

It does appear that Moeller played a nine game schedule in 2009 and did not show up for the St. Xavier game or the Middletown game. I also agree that there was a state championship caliber team on Montgomery Road this year and proper adjustments were not made during the final two games of the season.

I hope the issues are addressed and Moeller is back in the hunt next year.

I'm pretty sure the attitudes on this thread will not accomplish that though.

I think the thread is just full of disappointed fans who thought this should have been the team to put Moeller back on the map. To go out like they did, you can't help but be disappointed and frustrated. Like most fans, I'm not just satisfied getting into the playoffs each year and going home after the first game. That's not the expectations for Moeller football. Especially when you think about Moeller barely made the playoffs in recent years. This year was supposed to be different. It's also pretty frustrating when you see what Elder and X does on a consistent basis. People are just hungry for Moe to be a power again.

I think the thread is just full of disappointed fans who thought this should have been the team to put Moeller back on the map. To go out like they did, you can't help but be disappointed and frustrated. Like most fans, I'm not just satisfied getting into the playoffs each year and going home after the first game. That's not the expectations for Moeller football. Especially when you think about Moeller barely made the playoffs in recent years. This year was supposed to be different. It's also pretty frustrating when you see what Elder and X does on a consistent basis. People are just hungry for Moe to be a power again.

Here's the BIG DIFF my good man. X, Elder, Anderson, Middletown----they all had coaches who prepared their teams physically, mentally, and emotionally. When Moe played X and Middletown this year they were unprepared in all areas, and this is all about coaching. Hopefully, Coach R. will learn from past misakes (e.g. keeping a nutcase like Hautman on staff), and bump it up a notch next season. The sad reality is the 2009 team had all of the ingredients for a state title.

Here's the BIG DIFF my good man. X, Elder, Anderson, Middletown----they all had coaches who prepared their teams physically, mentally, and emotionally. When Moe played X and Middletown this year they were unprepared in all areas, and this is all about coaching. Hopefully, Coach R. will learn from past misakes (e.g. keeping a nutcase like Hautman on staff), and bump it up a notch next season. The sad reality is the 2009 team had all of the ingredients for a state title.

Agreed. Hopefully after 22 games Rhodenberg has now grown into the job and will realize what it takes to win at Moeller. 9-2 isn't a total disaster but as mentioned this team had state title potential. Is Hillard Davidson really that much better than Moeller?? I say NO WAY

COACHING is the name of the game. PERIOD. Next year team could be very good if coaching improves on both sides of the ball!

Discipline

Moeller was good this year but not Great!

Too many problems. I.E. special teams, passing game, coaching, slow play,penalties, etc. Middletown and St. X were able to exploit these areas. Areas that should have been fixed early in the season.
To me the main difference between a good Moe team and a Great Moe team was/is DISCIPLINE.
DISCIPLINE in the passing game, special teams, penalties, coaching, parents, defense, etc. It just wasn't there. Great teams got it Moe needs to get it.