1970 Big Red vs Massillon (22-man view)

Rich Blackburn

0ctober 16, 1970 at Massillon Paul Brown Stadium

The 22 Man View

Massillon’s last AP State Champion

Undefeated 10-0 Outscored opponents 412-29

Coach Bob Commings

I would be willing to bet very few people who frequent this site seen that 1970 Massillon team. Let me put it this way that was a really good football team.

I would be willing to bet very few people who frequent this site seen that 1970 Massillon team. Let me put it this way that was a really good football team.
I remember that team, great team. I don't know how many people on here remember the 1976 Cincinnati Moeller team. That had to be one of the best if not the best teams ever assembled. They beat the number 2 team in the state that year Youngstown Cardinal Mooney 48 to 0. Also beat the number 3 team Gahana Lincoln 43 to 3 and they had the 43 points in the 3rd quarter.

Scoring
Massillon - Steve Luke 37-yard pass from Dennis Franklin (pass failed) 6-0
Massillon - Mike Mauger two-yard run (WillieSpencer pass from Franklin) 14-0
Massillon - Mauger one-yard run (Franklin run) 22-0
Massillon - Larry Harper 58-yard pass from Franklin (pass failed) 28-0
Massillon - Tommy Cardinal five-yard run (kick failed) 34-0
Massillon - Larry McLenndon nine-yard run (run failed) 40-0

Scoring
Dennis Franklin. I definitely remember him. Matter of fact I think he broke his collarbone in the 1973 10 10 tie between Michigan and Ohio State. I believe that is why the big ten voted to send Ohio State to the rose bowl that year.

This Tiger team had 3-4 future pro football players. Denny Franklin, Steve Luke and Willie Spencer, Sr. Tommy Hannon was a sophomore. This team was one of Massillon’s best.

I was at that game. That folks was one of if not the best teams I’ve ever seen. That team would compete against even todays bigger, faster and stronger teams. QB and RB were amazing.

I was at that game. That folks was one of if not the best teams I’ve ever seen. That team would compete against even todays bigger, faster and stronger teams. QB and RB were amazing.
I was also in attendance, and I agree with your analysis of that Massillon team.

Last edited:
I played for McKinley and we played at Massillon against that 1970 team. Our record was 8-0-1.(tied Niles when our kicker missed a 10 yard field goal at end of the game. The kick hit the center in the rear end). In the state poll Massillon was 1 Upper Arlington was 2 and we were 3rd so with a win we could have been voted State Champs so there was a lot on the line. It was a cold rainy day. We kicked off to start the game and Harper ran it back 93 yds for a TD. It was all downhill after that. I remember Franklin running for a long TD on a keeper. Final score was 28-0. That was a very good Massillon team.

Yes, they did.
Mauger was great. All those guys were great players. If I’m correct Willie Spencer went directly to the USFL without playing college ball. The USFL didn’t have any requirement like the NFL does with age limits. And before any one wants to talk bad about the USFL, it was good enough for the likes of Herschel Walker and Jim Kelley and many other HOF’rs. Dude was a beast at 16-17 years old. I also remember watching Hannon playing DB for the Vikings and of course Franklin playing for the team Up north. He was so good that when the big 10 had to chose between Xichigan and OSU, they chose OSU because Franklin broke his collarbone in the OSU game and they figured without him Xichigan had no chance. No one in Ohio and probably the USA could touch that bunch.

Scoring
I think it was a year before when Spencer and McLendon were in the same backfield that Massillon and Big Red battled to a 0-0 tie in what was said to be the largest crowd in Harding Stadium history with 13,000. Stadium held 10,000 at the time. Folks were lined up 5 deep in the end zone corners. Games like that were what addicted me to Big Red football. Those guys were like superstars. We used to ask for chinstraps or arm
Pads and things like we were getting them from NFL players. A bygone era that I don’t think we’ll ever see again. Todays hs football is a complicated thing. Back then nothing complicated. Play ball with guys you went to elementary school with and by the time you were seniors you’d been side by side with the same guys for 8 years.

Mauger was great. All those guys were great players. If I’m correct Willie Spencer went directly to the USFL without playing college ball. The USFL didn’t have any requirement like the NFL does with age limits. And before any one wants to talk bad about the USFL, it was good enough for the likes of Herschel Walker and Jim Kelley and many other HOF’rs. Dude was a beast at 16-17 years old. I also remember watching Hannon playing DB for the Vikings and of course Franklin playing for the team Up north. He was so good that when the big 10 had to chose between Xichigan and OSU, they chose OSU because Franklin broke his collarbone in the OSU game and they figured without him Xichigan had no chance. No one in Ohio and probably the USA could touch that bunch.

Was it the USFL or the World Fooball League that Will Spencer played in? The USFL began in 1983 and the WFL began in 1974. If Spencer played in a high school game in 1970 I would assume the WFL. Otherwise, Spencer would have been close to 30 with no college experience. As you stated, the USFL was very good. The 1984 USFL champs Philadelphia Stars would have probably been a NFL wild card team.

Nice to see some of the video of old games.

Was it the USFL or the World Fooball League that Will Spencer played in? The USFL began in 1983 and the WFL began in 1974. If Spencer played in a high school game in 1970 I would assume the WFL. Otherwise, Spencer would have been close to 30 with no college experience. As you stated, the USFL was very good. The 1984 USFL champs Philadelphia Stars would have probably been a NFL wild card team.

Nice to see some of the video of old games.
You are right. It was the WFL. Darn, first time Ive ever been wrong in my life “again”. 😂

Spencer was a junior in 1970 and played receiver. In 1971 his senior year he moved to RB and ran for 1300 yards. The only year at Massillon he played RB. And yes he went to the WFL.

Here is a good article that talks about his career. Actually went to the CFL out of High school. Then to the WFL.

https://www.indeonline.com/story/sp...s-football-running-back-ny-giants/5874068001/

IIRC, they came in second in the national poll (by whomever) to Austin Reagan.

Somebody ought to check that, because I'm not guaranteeing that I'm right.

I think it was a year before when Spencer and McLendon were in the same backfield that Massillon and Big Red battled to a 0-0 tie in what was said to be the largest crowd in Harding Stadium history with 13,000. Stadium held 10,000 at the time. Folks were lined up 5 deep in the end zone corners. Games like that were what addicted me to Big Red football. Those guys were like superstars. We used to ask for chinstraps or arm
Pads and things like we were getting them from NFL players. A bygone era that I don’t think we’ll ever see again. Todays hs football is a complicated thing. Back then nothing complicated. Play ball with guys you went to elementary school with and by the time you were seniors you’d been side by side with the same guys for 8 years.
Some of us remember those days. If you were never at Tiger Stadium (no PBTS back then) with 20,000 people watching a game against Warren or Niles, then you really don't know Ohio HS football. Every single Massillon home game that year will likely (unless Massillon wins this week) outdraw every state final this year.

Some of us remember those days. If you were never at Tiger Stadium (no PBTS back then) with 20,000 people watching a game against Warren or Niles, then you really don't know Ohio HS football. Every single Massillon home game that year will likely (unless Massillon wins this week) outdraw every state final this year.
Those giant ACC crowds of yesteryear will never be seen again. Huge crowds at every venue every week. Those teams drew huge crowds even when playing out of conference games.

Why can't all threads be as enjoyable as this one?
Rich, I think there is a shared respect from all the Fellow AAC days. Personally. I root for and keep an eye on the scores of all the former members. For a lot of us, you included I know, keeping that era alive is important because it was unique and didn’t last long enough.