1969 Steubenville Big Red vs Massillon Tigers

Thanks Rich. This game was the only game I ever attended that I watched from the end zone. Season tickets started the next year.

Junior Jeff Spahn (Michigan) quarterbacking the Big Red. Senior startng QB Gary Repella (Ohio State basketball) injured.

Junior Jeff Spahn (Michigan) quarterbacking the Big Red. Senior startng QB Gary Repella (Ohio State basketball) injured.
This is what Abe Bryan had to say about the two QBs: "Our second quarterback Jeff Spahn hurt us so we went back to our injured one, Gary Repella, in the fourth quarter."

When was the last time you heard a coach say something like about one of his players?

This is what Abe Bryan had to say about the two QBs: "Our second quarterback Jeff Spahn hurt us so we went back to our injured one, Gary Repella, in the fourth quarter."

When was the last time you heard a coach say something like about one of his players?
It was the 60’s. Different times. People didn’t get butthurt like they do today.

Amazing and grateful that so many of these classics got recorded. The old AAC man. Full of intense rivalries the likes we'll never see again.

I believe that Coach Bryan was misquoted. In the second half a Massillon defender knocked three (3) of Jeff Spahn's front teeth out. Jeff came out of the game for a few series (he played both ways). Once the trainer stopped the bleeding he went back into the game. Coach Bryan was an ex marine and was wounded in the battle of Iwo Jima in the Pacific. However, to my knowledge never talked bad about his players to the media.

Was on the Massillon football website. Great source of info on the Tigers.

Interesting that you only list the AP (started in1947) and UPI (started in 1951?) and not the INS (which started in 1943) as state championships won.

Was on the Massillon football website. Great source of info on the Tigers.

Interesting that you only list the AP (started in1947) and UPI (started in 1951?) and not the INS (which started in 1943) as state championships won.
What was INS? The OHSAA website doesn’t mention it. Go to the OHSAA Football History section, then to the “Early Ohio High School State Football Championships.”

Go to the History Section of the Massillon website, then to the Season Reviews, then to 1943.

What was INS? The OHSAA website doesn’t mention it. Go to the OHSAA Football History section, then to the “Early Ohio High School State Football Championships.”

Go to the History Section of the Massillon website, then to the Season Reviews, then to 1943.
International News Service. UPI was created with the consolidation of INS and the United Press in 1958.

International News Service. UPI was created with the consolidation of INS and the United Press in 1958.
Thanks. Is there a list of state championships from the INS? We do count the Tigers‘ UPI title from 1961. That also was a year when the Tigers were named national champions by the NSNS.